Japanese passenger claims 3 million yen, camera stolen aboard THAI flight

webfact

11 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

She said she planned to carry the bag on board but flight attendants in Tokyo told her to load it into the plane's luggage storage area because there were many passengers and there might be no space for her bag in the cabin.

Flight attendants in Tokio told her what? The employees at the check-in counter are not flight attendants. Anybody with a brain would have taken the money on the plane. no matter what anybody else would say. 

She probably meant the airline staff at the gate. But yes, either she was a complete moron, or she, being upset about having to part with her bag, hatched a plan to cash in on the procedure.

Thanks Happy Grumpy for that video I hope it shows the  others, just why you leave your

valubles, and especially money in your carry on and do not let it out of your sight.

This lady will hopefully learn to be more careful in the future. She could have at least

transferred the money to her purse.

Geezer

• Like 1

I'd imagine that this stuff (cash and camera) is visible to the staff that x-ray them for security.

A quick note of the bag, and location of said goods (bottom right, under the smelly undies), passed on to the handlers, who probably know a small corner out of security camera shot.

In, out, wham bam thank you mam. 

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:55 AM, TheMac said:

Actually she should have declared at check-in any valuable. Without it, very limited liabilities of carrier / airport.

It says that Flight Attendants told that her bag should go in the hold, so it was obviously not at check in, but when she was about to board. Then, having taken her hand carry when she boarded, where would she put her 300 bank notes (assuming the were 10,000 notes)  and camera.

Also, how could close circuit footage of baggage handling at Hanada show anything, if the bag was put in the hold by the flight attendants at boarding?

It doesn't answer the question about the seal, but that seal seems questionable anyway, if the flight attendants took her bag, would they put a seal? Unlikely, more likely a string tag only.

24 minutes ago, Older and Wiser said:

Also, how could close circuit footage of baggage handling at Hanada show anything, if the bag was put in the hold by the flight attendants at boarding?

It doesn't answer the question about the seal, but that seal seems questionable anyway, if the flight attendants took her bag, would they put a seal? Unlikely, more likely a string tag only.

They would of had to race it over to the Xray machines where you enter the gate before handing it to ground staff 

That' where it probably got the seal as they wouldn't let any bag without one into the hold

I think her bag was maybe a tad big - you see it all the time at what they try & carry on ( most of the time nothings done about it )

2 hours ago, BEVUP said:

They would of had to race it over to the Xray machines where you enter the gate before handing it to ground staff 

That' where it probably got the seal as they wouldn't let any bag without one into the hold

I think her bag was maybe a tad big - you see it all the time at what they try & carry on ( most of the time nothings done about it )

They don't take bags checked in at the gates back to x-ray them.   You must not travel much.  They get a baggage tag just like at check-in and the cargo loaders take them right to the planes belly.   Many business travelers are using this method of travel. They have bags similar to stewards. All that are smaller than requirements or close.  The bottom one has the wheels and the carry on bag rides on top. Then they have a purse or laptop bag.  So like women guys are getting away with 3 carry on bags.  But on some flights the overhead bins get full well before your board the plane.   Other times staff will take if off the plane for you.  I think it's getting abused.   But it's quite common to have a mini luggage check-in at the top of the stair case to the tarmac in the boarding  gate.   These people are using e-tickets  and most likely tsa precheck or other security bypass plan.  and this avoids long check-in lines.   Just go right through express security. They don't even have to take off shoes or belts. 

Japanese nationals routinely carry large amounts of cash around. Despite this, pickpocketing and violent theft are very rare in Japan.

I would guess that she was very naive about life outside Japan, rather than dishonestly filing an insurance claim.

• Haha 1

Had she declared the cash or was she going to declare the cash? 3 million yen = 872,139.299 thai baht on the converter I just looked at.  I she does affirm in writing that she had that amount then I would fine the heck out of her.

Edited by gk10002000
change

On 4/17/2018 at 10:20 AM, shady86 said:

Suprised if this is scam by a Japanese national. They usually have high integrity but living in Thailand and being able to speak Thai, she might have 'learnt a lot' during the long years here.

Well that maybe "used to be the case" but my Wife rents  out condos to Japanese clients  regularly and  lets  say the rent is 40,000 baht a month then  a few  of them recently  said to her to bill the co. for 50,000 baht and he will pocket the 10k baht for himself. There have also been  a few who are  "waiting  for their parents in Japan to send them money" before putting down deposits.

This used to done more by Indians about the rental price but she has seen it  now in  some Japanese.

• Sad 1