Blacklisted for overstay. Name change on passport

i know what they mean.  That was my point too.i thought if it was easy to do then all crimnals would do. On the otherhand. Im not a criminal. I was unlucky having my passport stolen and only asked the question because i have met people in similar circumstances who have changed their name and got away it. I never  stated i was going to do it. I just asked what happens to your old details if you do change name and obtain passport

OP this question has been asked on this forum numerous times, nobody has ever been able to answer it

There are 3 types of people who could answer it, those who have tired and failed, those who have tried and succeeded who are hardly likely to admit it on here, and lastly Immigration, unless you are well in with a senior Immigration Officer they are hardly likely to tell you

IMO you are wasting your time asking this question on here, you will get people who say it can't be done,  you may get the odd poster who says it can but can they prove it? If they can will that really give you enough confidence to try it yourself? Somebody may have been able to say they did it years ago but what about now? Have things changed with the Immigration system since then? If you change your name is this noted on your new PP on the chip? Who knows the answers

So you have a choice, try it and see if it works or make other plans

Edited by darrendsd
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, saakura said:

If you are willing to risk doing something illegal such as changing your name and trying to enter knowing fully well that you are banned for 10 years, and TV is allowing the thread to run, i suggest why not take a little more risk and get a fake passport with a fake date of birth & nationality?

It's not illegal to change your name. 

It's also not illegal to enter the country with his legal new name and legal new passport. 

Entering with a false passport. 

Now that's illegal. 

17 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

OP this question has been asked on this forum numerous times, nobody has ever been able to answer it

There are 3 types of people who could answer it, those who have tired and failed, those who have tried and succeeded who are hardly likely to admit it on here, and lastly Immigration, unless you are well in with a senior Immigration Officer they are hardly likely to tell you

IMO you are wasting your time asking this question on here, you will get people who say it can't be done,  you may get the odd poster who says it can but can they prove it? If they can will that really give you enough confidence to try it yourself? Somebody may have been able to say they did it years ago but what about now? Have things changed with the Immigration system since then? If you change your name is this noted on your new PP on the chip? Who knows the answers

So you have a choice, try it and see if it works or make other plans

I don't think it is recorded in the computer chip. Neither are criminal records in your chip. 

He would have a new birth certificate, that would show his old and new name. That name change and also criminal history is kept at the immigration and national police archives. It is not distributed to foreign countries unless there is a request. That's why when applying for wp that require a criminal check, you must apply to your own country. It's all confidential. They are not allowed to disclose it. 

1 minute ago, greenchair said:

I don't think it is recorded in the computer chip. Neither are criminal records in your chip. 

He would have a new birth certificate, that would show his old and new name. That name change and also criminal history is kept at the immigration and national police archives. It is not distributed to foreign countries unless there is a request. That's why when applying for wp that require a criminal check, you must apply to your own country. It's all confidential. They are not allowed to disclose it. 

It has nothing to do with any criminal history, I never said it was? This has nothing to do with any criminal history the OP may or may not have in his native country, that is irrelevant 

"I don't think it is recorded in the computer chip" This is exactly my point, you don't think but you don't know for sure

It wouldn't surprise me if there are actually no serious consequences if you get caught. Just entry denied stamp and flown back to where you came from. It can't be proven that you were intending to enter illegally, you may have just been unaware of how long your overstay ban was, and have changed your name for other reasons.

As someone suggested you could change your passport twice, as the second is still linked to your current one, but the third is linked to the second. And change your name too. So the first replacement is because you 'lost' it, the second because you changed your name. That's what I'd do. Or as someone suggested, buying citizenship in another country plus a name change.

P.S. If you google 'laos airlines refused entry' you can find some thaivisa threads from while back, that say Laos has been refusing people on overstay from entry / boarding a flight there. Don't know if that's still happening, but something to bear in mind. No problem entering other countries in the region though after clearing overstay.

Edited by jspill
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

It has nothing to do with any criminal history, I never said it was? This has nothing to do with any criminal history the OP may or may not have in his native country, that is irrelevant 

"I don't think it is recorded in the computer chip" This is exactly my point, you don't think but you don't know for sure

I understand that. It was used an example. 

Anyway, he has a wife here. 

The worst case would be he would not be let back in. His passport is in his name and perfectly legal. 

He they give him entry and a visa then that is legal too. 

7 minutes ago, jspill said:

you may have just been unaware of how long your overstay ban was,

That's like being banned from driving for 2 years and starting to drive again after 1 and when caught using the excuse oh sorry I wasn't sure how long my ban was

Do you really think that is going to work?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, greenchair said:

I understand that. It was used an example. 

Anyway, he has a wife here. 

The worst case would be he would not be let back in. His passport is in his name and perfectly legal. 

He they give him entry and a visa then that is legal too. 

Its not legal to enter Thailand , whilst you are blacklisted and the worst thing that could happened to him is that he gets jailed for two years for illegal entry

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, saakura said:

Completely wrong. Knowing fully well that you  (the person, not the name) have been banned from entering the country and then changing the name expressly for the sole purpose of cheating or circumventing the law is as illegal as entering on a fake passport.

Nope. Not true. 

When people are caught for another crime and it is discovered they are here on a different name, but were on a blacklist, they are not charged for illegal entry. Because they didn't enter illegally. 

9 minutes ago, greenchair said:

I would. But there isn't a law for it, so I would not find anything. Neither have you. So stop trying to scare people. 

Negative Normans.

You are saying that if you get Blacklisted from Thailand, all you have to do to get off the Blacklist is too change your name and get a new passport and then you are no longer blacklisted ?

4 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Nope. Not true. 

When people are caught for another crime and it is discovered they are here on a different name, but were on a blacklist, they are not charged for illegal entry. Because they didn't enter illegally. 

Not sure, you could be right on a point of law. But on the visa application form, if he is asked about any previous names, or whether he has ever travelled to  Thailand before under a different name or passport, would you still advise that he should lie?

2 minutes ago, saakura said:

Not sure, you could be right on a point of law. But on the visa application form, if he is asked about any previous names, or whether he has ever travelled to  Thailand before under a different name or passport, would you still advise that he should lie?

If it was legal, there would be no need to lie .

Just say "yeah, I was in Thailand last week, got deported and blacklisted and now I want to come back with a different passport"

"No problem , come on in, heres an entry stamp"

• Haha 2

I overstayed 1 year and got a 10 year ban when caught. I had already made up my mind even before my deportation that after 15 years full time in Thai, I wanted a change. Now I'm in Philippines and love it. I feel very welcome. Can still go to Laos for my fill of authentic Thai and Issan foods. I can speak Thai there if I wish. Laos is also very welcoming but the visa on arrival is not free. I don't miss Thai.

25 minutes ago, greenchair said:

I would. But there isn't a law for it, so I would not find anything. Neither have you. So stop trying to scare people. 

Negative Normans.

11. According to the Immigration Act of Thailand B.E. 2522 (1979), foreigners who fall into any of the following categories are prohibited to enter Thailand:

(10)  Being a person prohibited by the Minister under Section 16 of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979).
(11)  Being deported by either the Government of Thailand or that of other foreign countries; or having been revoked the right of stay in the Kingdom or in foreign countries; or having been expelled from the Kingdom by competent officials at the expense of the Government of Thailand unless exemption is provided by the Minister on an individual basis.

7 minutes ago, stravers said:

I overstayed 1 year and got a 10 year ban when caught. I had already made up my mind even before my deportation that after 15 years full time in Thai, I wanted a change. Now I'm in Philippines and love it. I feel very welcome. Can still go to Laos for my fill of authentic Thai and Issan foods. I can speak Thai there if I wish. Laos is also very welcoming but the visa on arrival is not free. I don't miss Thai.

Wonderful. I suggest you write a book on this. Would be a bestseller and encourage thousands of overstaying farangs to shift to the paradise of Phillippines and live the rest of their lives in bliss.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

That's like being banned from driving for 2 years and starting to drive again after 1 and when caught using the excuse oh sorry I wasn't sure how long my ban was

Do you really think that is going to work?

OP won't have actually entered the country yet, only presented himself at the border. So the analogy would be a banned driver applying for a new license, not driving.

If he sneaked over a land border to get in then yeah sure, harsh consequences if caught. But at the border I think all that's going to happen is he gets sent back if caught. 

Edited by jspill

2 hours ago, Keithsbd said:

Appreciate the comments but everyone is moving away from my original question about getting back in if change name. Ive had all the lectures and info about new passport arrival dates, length of overstays and bans etc. Thats happened.  I cant change that.

Ask your wife to join Cambodia to start a new life or take her to your country or Mexico or somewhere in south America.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keithsbd said:

When i found out that immigration didn't care it was stolen i would have been deported anyway so took my chances but caught up with me 18months later.

When my passport was stolen in a Sisaket resort, I immediately reported to the local police. They wrote a letter in Thai and even gave me a ride to the bus station for my journey to Ubon for catching a flight to Bangkok. I took the letter to US embassy for a new passport and got one in two/three weeks. Took the new passport, police report to Changwattana immigration and they took care of new departure card, and a new Visa stamp in my net passport. I don't recall any issue or any unpleasant experience.

Even if you get past immigration at the border, and receive permission to stay, you would still be in the country illegally. You have been banned not your name.

If you are caught illegally in the country you can be imprisoned for up the 2 years. They’ed probably just fine and deport you, but prison is a possibility.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stravers said:

?

• Haha 1