Blacklisted for overstay. Name change on passport

On 4/17/2018 at 9:44 PM, Keithsbd said:

If fly to loas from uk and have connecting flight in bkk would they let you through on blacklist.  I think you not actually go through thai immigration. Just get off one plane and on to another. 

He might get blocked from boarding the leg to Thailand.  Better to use another hub.

On 4/17/2018 at 7:35 PM, Keithsbd said:

Also she lives couple hours  from laos so that was another option for me to move there 

Yes, and she can probably speak the language / dialect there.  You might need set up a "business" with an agent, for a long-term visa, though.

On 17/04/2018 at 7:38 PM, Happy enough said:

i hear it's pretty easy to cross from laos into thailand without going through immigration. i wouldn't suggest such a thing, just saying

I wouldn’t advocate crossing the Mekrong from Laos at Chiang Khan, because the river gets very shallow there at times, and i mean really shallow....you could stub a toe on a pebble easy walking across in the dead of night. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/17/2018 at 2:55 PM, greenchair said:

It's all confidential. They are not allowed to disclose it. 

Not strictly speaking true.........well, they may not be allowed to do but it they do.  There was a programme on TV a few years back about people who had been turned back when trying to enter the USA.  One English guy had what in the UK would be a minor offence from years back in his teens but lied on his visa application or ESTA.....whatever, he failed to disclose the offence.  By the time he tried to enter he was married with kids and was travelling with his family.

Having not declared it, the US authorities must have access to UK Criminal Records - otherwise, how could they deny entry?  There were several guys on the programme that had also been turned back because of criminal records against them.  However, there were also one or two that had criminal records, tried their hand and got in so the checking is not consistent.

The programme makers questioned the UK government about what they disclose to foreign powers and they wriggled. Its a long time ago but I seem to remember they tried to say they didn't share information but refused to deny it outright.

OK, so look at it the other way around. If you home country (or anybody's home country, my home country is serious to try to prevent criminals (what type of criminals / how serious was the offence, is the offence concerned with phedo. activity etc?) entering your / my country.

I certainly hope they are serious about it, meaning that they would need to have access to records of other countries.

In other words, if there was no such check of who is trying to enter the country then in a given time thousands of undesirables / criminals/ terrorists would have just walked in. 

• Like 1

I have no idea what would happen in the event of a name change. I used to have 2 British passports, both in the same name - yes this is perfectly legal if you can show a need for 2 and at that time I could. I'd always entered Thailand on one particular passport and only used the other for visiting a particular middle eastern country.  On one occasion I packed the wrong passport so had no option but to use it to enter Thailand.  I was stamped in and then, as I walked past the IO he put out his arm and stopped me - he wasn't happy about something and told me to wait there for another officer to come over.

As I waited for once I got a full view of what was on the IO's computer screen.  All my information, visits, a previous expired passport and now my second passport were displayed. OK so all passports were in the same name but they had been linked in seconds. I have a very common name but everything was linked so they do have a reasonably efficient system.  Whether it can pick up facial features or link dates of birth I know not.

I was taken to an office where I explained that I had 2 passports, the officer looked scepitcal but thankfully on that occasion I entered during office hours.  Thai immigration contacted the British Embassy who confirmed it was possible to have 2 passports and I was on my way.

I think the OP is British?  If so,what was the nationality of either of his grandparents (or his parents)?  If one of them was Irish, then he is automatically entitled to Irish nationality.

My grandfather was Irish.  I was born British and grew up in the UK, never lived in Ireland.  I'm entitled to an Irish passport and can also then change my name on that passport by Deed Poll.

Just saying ?

14 minutes ago, scorecard said:

OK, so look at it the other way around. If you home country (or anybody's home country, my home country is serious to try to prevent criminals (what type of criminals / how serious was the offence, is the offence concerned with phedo. activity etc?) entering your / my country.

The particular guy had been caught smoking cannabis in his teens - a big no no in the USA and at the time requiring a court appearance in the UK. Now its just a street caution. Different topic but it hardly seems fair to stop a family man from entering the 'school shooting' capital of the world because of a minor offence committed when he was a teenager.

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I was taken to an office where I explained that I had 2 passports, the officer looked scepitcal but thankfully on that occasion I entered during office hours.  Thai immigration contacted the British Embassy who confirmed it was possible to have 2 passports and I was on my way.

This is indeed possible. In my country several people have two passports, if your job depends on it. If you travel a lot, passport are needed also during the time an application for a visa to another country takes place. You might need a passport in the meantime.

1 minute ago, markaoffy said:

Pretty desperate to get in a country if you want change your name to do so !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

But very understandable if you have wife and kids waiting for you. If your wife can`t get to you, you may choose this rather unusual way.

• Like 1

Nope... no chance of bypassing the sanctions. I have it on very good authority from a friend with ICA Singapore that IATA requires nominal data changes be recorded on the chip as a condition for countries participating in the US's VWP system.

Edited by mvdf

18 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I have no idea what would happen in the event of a name change. I used to have 2 British passports, both in the same name - yes this is perfectly legal if you can show a need for 2 and at that time I could. I'd always entered Thailand on one particular passport and only used the other for visiting a particular middle eastern country.  On one occasion I packed the wrong passport so had no option but to use it to enter Thailand.  I was stamped in and then, as I walked past the IO he put out his arm and stopped me - he wasn't happy about something and told me to wait there for another officer to come over.

As I waited for once I got a full view of what was on the IO's computer screen.  All my information, visits, a previous expired passport and now my second passport were displayed. OK so all passports were in the same name but they had been linked in seconds. I have a very common name but everything was linked so they do have a reasonably efficient system.  Whether it can pick up facial features or link dates of birth I know not.

It has been reported before on this site that a dual national was banned for I think a year and cameback after a few months on a different passport. Had no problems getting back in. later he was recognized by people and was reported to immigration.  He was arrested for entering the country illegally and jailed. The reason, they told him  "you" are banned from Thailand not your passport. Makes no difference what passport or name you use  "you" are banned from being in the country.

9 hours ago, mvdf said:

....... I have it on very good authority from a friend with ICA Singapore that IATA requires nominal data changes be recorded on the chip as a condition for countries participating in the US's VWP system.

Sorry, but your so called ‘friend with Immigration & Checkpoint Authority Singapore’  is giving you fake information.

Firstly…. The International Air Transport Association (IATA) cannot, and do not, specify what information is, or is not, held on the ‘chip’ that is embedded in Machine Readable Travel Documents e.g. passports.

Determining what data is held on the ‘chip’ is the responsibility of the International Civil Aviation Organisation (IACO) which is under auspices United Nations.

Secondly…. Until last month (June) the only data that is held on the ‘chip’ that is embedded within the passport is identical to that information given on the photo page of the passport (including a copy of the holder’s photo).

As from the 1st July 2018 the IACO Committee finally approved the Seventh Edition of Document 9303.  This document upgrades the previous editions and now allows for the inclusion of fingerprints and iris scans to be embedded on the ‘chip’. 

However, inclusions of these additional data items is not mandatory and the decision to include them is up to the individual MRTD (passport) issuing authorities.

FYI…. The IACO has been consulting for some considerable time what other personal data items might also be embedded onto the chip.  For example:  Name change; Gender change; Criminal records.  At this point in time there is no indication that the IACO will make any recommendations that any of these personal data can/should be added to the data held on the chip in the foreseeable future.

2 hours ago, Tony125 said:

It has been reported before on this site that a dual national was banned for I think a year and cameback after a few months on a different passport. Had no problems getting back in. later he was recognized by people and was reported to immigration.  He was u arrested for entering the country illegally and jailed. The reason, they told him  "you" are banned from Thailand not your passport. Makes no difference what passport or name you use  "you" are banned from being in the country.

I was talking to a buddy of mine who works in Irish passport office. We were discussing me changing my name to the Irish ie Gaelic version and he advised against it as when for e.g. I go to Thai immigration with my new passport in Irish they will have the biometrics of me as per my original name and this will cause problems. I was also told Emirates will not accept emergency passports. 

• 2 weeks later...

Overstay scam:  there was a post not long ago titled: 

Clear a long overstay!?

<removed>

This guy claimed to have cleared a 12 year overstay with a new passport. I contacted him in order to get information for a friend and he put me in touch with someone else who claimed to have a connection in immigration. Then he asked me to email him a photo of my passport so he could "check it out" and see if it was blacklisted already. When I declined he got very aggressive and when I stopped responding to his texts he threatened me. I believe they are running a scam where they try to get ahold of overstayer's passports and then threaten to turn it over to immigration unless money is paid. I tried to report this and that members id to thaivisa but they didn't seem too interested. 

Edited by ubonjoe
removed member name for privacy reasons

52 minutes ago, DavidB4 said:

Overstay scam:  there was a post not long ago titled: 

You will see I removed the members name and the date it was posted.

Best not to defame a member on the open forum.

Not sure who it was you contacted but I think some agents might want confirmation a person was really on a long overstay. I think that could be to avoid the possibility of a authority contacting them as part of an investigation.