Starbucks to close 8,000 U.S. stores for racial tolerance training

webfact

3 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

Not one to patronize the company, the Thai gf wanted a coffee from one on Beach Road Pattaya. Waste of time and money, little if any coffee in the cup, much stronger at 7/11 for 30 Baht.

Yeah sure, Robusta beans are cheap and stronger. Again, it's not secret that Starbucks business model is based on obscene markups of product. They can definitely afford some people waiting around to start business meetings, of any color. 

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah sure, Robusta beans are cheap and stronger. Again, it's not secret that Starbucks business model is based on obscene markups of product. They can definitely afford some people waiting around to start business meetings, of any color. 

But they shouldn't have to, should they? They are a coffee shop, selling beverages and snacks. Not a public place providing internet for business meetings whose participants want somewhere free to meet. 

And whatever their policy is, it should be applied to all colors, sexes, races, and religions equally.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I still don't really understand what the issue is here to cause all the fuss.

Can anyone explain what the problem is?  Why is it wrong to call the police to help if the people in the coffee shop were causing trouble and refusing to leave... without buying anything?

What's so hard to understand. White people attempted to infringe on two black people's right to minority immunity which is in place whenever a black person, or other en vogue minority group, is in the vicinity of white property or management.

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Damage control of very bad publicity. The idiots control the asylum now.

BTW when consumers can't find a seat in Starbucks from the non-paying smelly bums and students nursing a single coffee Starbucks will again close 8000 stores, PERMANENTLY.

Yeah, Starbuck's business model has been such a liability for them... LOL.

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The CEO of this 'Private Business' obviously believes his staff acted inappropriately. 

What does that suggest to you?

I am not sure that the CEO believes his staff acted inappropriately.. i think he believes that if he does not do anything for the public his business will suffer. He just caves in to to public pressure.

Its quite clear why he takes these steps.. to combat the negative news of course.. its about money nothing more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The CEO is taking the extraordinary steps that he is because it's the politically correct thing to do. And that is seen as an essential prerequisite to avoid demonstrations by groups that will otherwise blow this out of all proportion causing extensive damage to the business. Expect the two males to now slap huge lawsuits on Starbuck's and then negotiate a confidential out of court settlement.

And all because they were asked to leave after refusing to buy anything in a shop.

I wondered when 'political correctness' would get a mention.

How about managing brand image, something companies have been doing long before anyone invented political correctness for you to go blaming as the cause of all ills. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wabothai said:

I am sure the fuss is the cause of the underlying problem of too many folks bringing their office to coffee shops.

I do quite well understand the frustration of coffee shop operators.

Its a business.. they need to make money. They don't make money if people come in order nothing and take up space. Seems simple enough if you want to use the facilities.. buy something. 

20 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The CEO is taking the extraordinary steps that he is because it's the politically correct thing to do. And that is seen as an essential prerequisite to avoid demonstrations by groups that will otherwise blow this out of all proportion causing extensive damage to the business. Expect the two males to now slap huge lawsuits on Starbuck's and then negotiate a confidential out of court settlement.

And all because they were asked to leave after refusing to buy anything in a shop.

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

I am not sure that the CEO believes his staff acted inappropriately.. i think he believes that if he does not do anything for the public his business will suffer. He just caves in to to public pressure.

Its quite clear why he takes these steps.. to combat the negative news of course.. its about money nothing more.

So you two have spoken to Mr. Johnson then. Hahahahaha.

Kevin Johnson seems to be a classic California liberal.

But feel free to proceed to put words in his mouth if that's the best y'all can do.

Just now, mikebike said:

So you two have spoken to Mr. Johnson then. Hahahahaha.

Kevin Johnson seems to be a classic California liberal.

But feel free to proceed to put words in his mouth if that's the best y'all can do.

He is a business man, Starbucks is sold on the stock exchanges... if profits goes down because of protests the owners of the stock can kick him out. 

Its business nothing more nothing less. Do you honestly think that if there was no huge news coverage of this that this guy would have taken the same actions. 

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

He is a business man, Starbucks is sold on the stock exchanges... if profits goes down because of protests the owners of the stock can kick him out. 

Its business nothing more nothing less. Do you honestly think that if there was no huge news coverage of this that this guy would have taken the same actions. 

I honestly don't know. His/Starbuck's response has been pretty much as expected whether there was media coverage or not.

What I don't get is the prognosticating on his reasoning. 

1 minute ago, mikebike said:

I honestly don't know. His/Starbuck's response has been pretty much as expected whether there was media coverage or not.

What I don't get is the prognosticating on his reasoning. 

Seriously i think this is a storm in a teacup. (unless they only kick out people of a certain athnicity) 

Its a business you don't buy something they should be allowed to ask you to leave. This goes for everyone no matter what ethnicity. 

Starbucks IMHO is responding in damage control mode not in a right / wrong mode. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

Then I might be wrong and the guy really thinks he is doing the right thing. 

Schultz was the PREVIOUS CEO. Kevin Johnson is the current CEO.

But it does speak to the corporate ethics of Starbucks. Not a big surprise for a Seattle-based company.

• Thanks 1

The usual over-reaction to placate the liberal media as these two guys were making a problem of themselves on multiple occasions. As has been mentioned, it was the cops that arrested them...not the StarBucks staff. Bet they were both a couple of douchebags with records, but of course we don't hear about anything like that though.

Edited by Sir Dude
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ostyan said:

Send 175,000 Star*uck employees can undergo racial tolerance training in Paris, Birmingham, Vienna, and other densely migrated areas of Europe

The USA has different issues so I'll take your post as an irrelevant pot shot. 

• Thanks 1

They should be sending them all to profile just simply scumbags...doesn't matter race, creed or whatever as there are scumbags from all sections of society. As usual, this issue/situation has been turned into something that it shouldn't have been.

58 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

The usual over-reaction to placate the liberal media as these two guys were making a problem of themselves on multiple occasions. As has been mentioned, it was the cops that arrested them...not the StarBucks staff. Bet they were both a couple of douchebags with records, but of course we don't hear about anything like that though.

Were they, or did you make that up? Sounds as if you made that up. Talk about bias.

Starbucks staff don't have the power to arrest but they do have the power to CALL the cops. 

2 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

They should be sending them all to profile just simply scumbags...doesn't matter race, creed or whatever as there are scumbags from all sections of society. As usual, this issue/situation has been turned into something that it shouldn't have been.

Define all.

2 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Racial intolerance is rife unfortunately. 

The amount of people I encounter who are racially intolerant of the people who are native to the country they have newly settled in is dumbfounding.

Yeah, perhaps, but that sounds more like another expats behaving badly topic than about the experience of black people in the USA. 

As Eric Holder is talking about, this isn't just about one incident at Starbucks, this isn't just about Starbucks policies in general, it's an ingrained problem of BIAS in the entire society. The CEO of Starbucks wants to deal with it at the level that he has the power to. Sounds good to me.