Is this the worst ‘farang breakfast’ in all of Thailand?

webfact

58 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

No these are on their way to being sunny side up. Flip 'em over for over easy.

Yep flip em over and cook just a little more to make sure all the white is cooked but not long enough to firm up the yolk. That;s over easy. Seems obvious now eh?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thian said:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor over easy eggs

Are these over easy eggs?? I don't know that term... This how many thai restaurants (like black canyon) serve them and what i won't eat....so i always tell them i need well done eggs which they do.

They look like "Sunny Side Up" to me.    As far as I understand it, the term "Over Easy" or "Easy Over" means just flipped for a few seconds to set the yolk and white from the top so they are seared and not raw & runny.  Particularly popular during the bird flu panic a few years back .  Even the Thai hotels I stayed in back then were swapping from "sunny" to "easy" while the scare was on.     And I am not even American.  Thanks Canuckamuck and others.

Edited by The Deerhunter

17 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

They look like "Sunny Side Up" to me.    As far as I understand it, the term "Over Easy" or "Easy Over" means just flipped for a few seconds to set the yolk and white from the top so they are seared and not raw & runny.  Particularly popular during the bird flu panic a few years back .  Even the Thai hotels I stayed in back then were swapping from "sunny" to "easy" while the scare was on.     And I am not even American.  Thanks Canuckamuck and others.

During the birdflu we stayed in the little duck hotel in chiang rai....i ordered an american breakfast for roomservice, it arrived but......no eggs!! I called them again and told them to keep it....what's an abf without eggs? I got all the rest though.

Takes me back to the first and last time I went for breakfast to those I foolishly thought were friends Donald and Mac !

i took one look dumped it in the bin which didn’t like it one bit and I have not talked to them since.

i see them from time to time on some street corner but I never visit.

6 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Heaven forbid. Defamation suit in the making. Though the diner should consider suing the 'restaurant' for defaming the word 'breakfast'.

It was served in the morning at his request. He asked for a vegatarian breakfast and got what he asked for....He got vegatables ! The complainant is a creepy confrontational weirdo...As are many vegans and veggie Nazis. 

• Like 1

Agree - especially if you asked for a 'cooked' veggie breakfast ! 
If I was the Cafe owner I would tell the customer "f off, we don't want your sort in here"

What is a cooked vegetarian breakfast even?
  • Like 1

It’s what I eat every day.

A breakfast that does not consist of animal products.

A personal choice. 

One I’ve made for over 32 years. 

Does appear to be an affront to some though...

Thanks Bluespunk for the explanation , so apart from the badly friend egg , he got what he asked for.

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 4/18/2018 at 7:38 PM, selftaopath said:

... Once I asked a street vendor if she could cook me two poached eggs. My wife explained it to her and asked if she would put them on rice, b/c of course she didn't have bread. It was great.

I used to get a "poached" egg and a couple of the pathongko fried bread at the morning market in Loei.  They put an egg (in the shell) in a small glass and pour on hot water.  In the cold season, the eggs were cold and it took at least 2 if not three changes of water to get an egg that wasn't too snotty.  The locals didn't mind a warm, raw egg I guess.  But it was quick and cheap.

Edit:  more of a soft-boiled egg.

A roommate of mine is good with "over easy" eggs.  Fries 4 eggs in a small pan so it looks like one big egg with 4 yolks.  When just about done, he deftly flips the whole mass into the air like a pancake and catches it sunny side down. He just lets the residual heat in the pan finish it.  Haven't seen him break a yolk yet.  I do make him do the flipping over the sink, just in case.

Edited by Damrongsak

6 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

I used to get a "poached" egg and a couple of the pathongko fried bread at the morning market in Loei.  They put an egg (in the shell) in a small glass and pour on hot water.  In the cold season, the eggs were cold and it took at least 2 if not three changes of water to get an egg that wasn't too snotty.  The locals didn't mind a warm, raw egg I guess.  But it was quick and cheap.

I know that as “kai lua”......used to have 2 of those, 2 coffees (which came with free tea) for about 50 Baht.

5 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I know that as “kai lua”......used to have 2 of those, 2 coffees (which came with free tea) for about 50 Baht.

Yes, kai luak, I believe. (Maybe spelled with a law-ling, wough-wan, goh-guy?  Seems so - ไข่ลวก).  The fried bread dipped in the runny egg made it go down easier.  With a splash of soy sauce and some black pepper.  55

I'm sure most can agree that Thai food is among the best in the world, and Thais are absolutely fantastic at making it. 

However, they are almost uniquely bad at making food that is not their own because:

1. Often, Thais feel compelled to Thai-ify everything. 

2. Making foreign food properly would require them to take a serious interest in things not Thai which is usually too much to ask of them. 

Japanese, for example, are experts in world class foreign food. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2018 at 4:28 AM, AntDee said:

I'm sure most can agree that Thai food is among the best in the world,

Some of the stuff on sale at markets and stalls is ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING, and so unhealthy.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Some of the stuff on sale at markets and stalls is ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING, and so unhealthy.

MSG, Sugar and cooking oil. It's not easy to find really good Thai food, made with natural ingredients instead of artificial seasonings.

On 4/19/2018 at 1:34 PM, Older and Wiser said:
On 4/18/2018 at 5:37 PM, jenny2017 said:

Fried potatoes with egg and chesse.jpg

Baked potatoes?

These aren't baked potatoes. These are what we call hash brown potatoes. They're stir fried in a pan or on a griddle. One other variety is julienned potatoes that are also fried in a pan or on a griddle. A third variety is the pre-formed frozen patties that are deep fried in oil like the ones served at McDonalds.

julienned hash browns.htm

McD hash brown.htm