The Only Farang

bwpage3

Have you ever been anywhere in Thailand where you were the first farang to ever visit that town, city, etc.?

Are you the only farang that currently lives in your village or area?

Do you know of any areas in Thailand where there are no farangs and/or none that ever lived there?

My wife is from a small village in Isaan that is 38 km to the nearest 7-11.

There is nothing there, no stores, restaurants etc.

People are extremely poor and surviving job to job (Cutting rice, sugarcane, etc.)

Never saw one farang there ever

That you are the first Farang to ever go anywhere in Thailand is probably impossible, but maybe the first to stay there.

My ex GF is from a small village in the mountains of Chiang Rai, and probably i was the first Farang who ever stayed there. But i was not the first Farang to go there, because even in this remote village in the mountains (no electricity, just a bit from solar cells, nearly no cell phone connection) sometimes people see Farangs (in cars) because some tour company somewhere (probably in the City) is offering off road Jeep tours and they are passing through this village.

• Like 2

The only farang? Yeah, I'm one of two farang living in a 35 km long valley in rural Lamphun province, so pretty much. The first?  No!  There were a bunch of farang POWs who built the extension of the Chiang Mai railway through this valley during WWII. 
I virtually never run into the other chap, I just know he's out he somewhere.  Suits me fine out here, culturally alone.  If I want to hang with my 'own tribe', I head in to Chiang Mai.  It's a good life!  :smile:

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, connda said:

The only farang? Yeah, I'm one of two farang living in a 35 km long valley in rural Lamphun province, so pretty much. The first?  No!  There were a bunch of farang POWs who built the extension of the Chiang Mai railway through this valley during WWII. 
I virtually never run into the other chap, I just know he's out he somewhere.  Suits me fine out here, culturally alone.  If I want to hang with my 'own tribe', I head in to Chiang Mai.  It's a good life!  :smile:

Are you sure there are no Cockneys there ? there is usually one lurking around somewhere.  :biggrin:

Happened to me a few times on my motorcycle trips in northern Thailand.
You mostly see it at the stares of the locals that there has been hardly any farang there before.
Though most are curious and open to a small talk.

• Like 1

I live in what could be described as a fairly remote area of Issan, though only 30km to nearest 7/11, bank, pharmacy, etc. Nearest Tesco, Big C 60km. But, even here there's at least one farang in most villages. I'm the only one living in mine, but I have two predecessors who married local girls and moved away. Most of us meet at a local market three times a week for a chat and a beer. There are also some who prefer to keep their own council and don't mix in. I only know some exist because I see them at their houses on my bike rides. I can understand their reasons. 

Probably the city city types can't understand this way of living, but from what I read on this site, there's a lot less stress. Little traffic, lots of country roads and farm tracks, friendly neighbours (as long as you're polite, integrate and are friendly back), amazed and frightened kids (one was scared of my blue eyes), and beautiful views. Way to go imho

I'm the only farang in the ban of about 30 homes. I'm not the first to live here, because a German built a beautiful house nearby for his Thai wife, a few years before I built a house for my wife and myself. The German was a 'loner' and never walked anywhere or mixed with the locals. He'd spend a few months here and then return to Germany.  His wife reared Thai 'cows' close by and I think the farang left when he found out it wasn't just the 'cows' the Thai vet was 'injecting' on his frequent visits!.

The nearest town is about 3km away and there are about 5 farangs living there. They frequent a small food shop, known as the Market Tavern and sit outside drinking beer late afternoons. I keep well clear of that scene, because I know several Thais have said it creates a bad stereotype impression of farangs. Also, I've had my fill of 'barrack room/bar stool lawyers' over the years here in LOS. It's rumored there's even a self appointed 'poo yai' farang, who presumably sees himself as the 'big fish in a small pond'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marquis22 said:

Yes. I'm the only one in my ban and also only one in the neighboring bans on each side.

Same here.

No farang around, as far as the eye can see...and the bicycle can go...

The first time I came to this village, almost 20 years ago, I arrived in the night, and the next morning all the villagers were waiting in front of the house...to see me, and more especially to touch my white skin!

Obviously, I was the first farang ever visiting...and since then there has only been one other, for only a few days...

Edited by Brunolem

I am the only Farang in my village, my nearest friend stays 30 Ks away, there were plenty around when I first came here nearly 13 years ago, they have  moved away because of marriage break ups, or died.

Edited by possum1931

Only farang in the village for the last eight years. There was a Swedish guy who left just before I arrived. For the first year or so in the local market I'd see little kids going "Mum, mum, look, a farang!" Everybody seems to know my business though. When my wife was away visiting her sister complete strangers would be saying to me "Your wife's been gone a while why don't you get a gik?" The idea that I wouldn't he dumb enough to get one where they would know all about it having not occured to them.

• Like 1

I will be pretty much the only farang to live in the village starting July. Apparently there is also a German man that occasionally visits. And I understand in the nearest small city there are a couple of farang as well, though I think most don't stay throughout the year.

I am still not sure if I can enjoy that way of life, but it's worth a try. I figure we can always move to the bigger cities if I can't enjoy myself enough.

A few years ago I was driving somewhere near the Lampang/Sukothai border with my wife and some of her relatives that live up there.  Her 'sister' (actually some sort of cousin by marriage) pointed to a nice house that we were passing and told me that a New Zealander lived there with his Thai wife.   It turned out that she knew all about every Farang who lived within 10 or 20 km of her village! 

That's one reason why I prefer to live in Bangkok. :sleep:

3 hours ago, CLW said:

Happened to me a few times on my motorcycle trips in northern Thailand.
You mostly see it at the stares of the locals that there has been hardly any farang there before.
Though most are curious and open to a small talk.

Happened to us about 20 years back.. when we went to our Thai friends home village about 1 hours from Phayao.  

It was nearly all wooden houses, very traditional and when we went to get food from the local market (yes no 7 / 11 or even small supermarket)... there were a few of the older people who were really amazed by us.. and old lady at the market kept touching the skin on my arm and saying how white it was.  

I'm currently the only Farang although if the rumours are true not for much longer. When I first arrived I decided I needed to be an ambassador for Farang land so I set out to try and make a good impression and show willing by attending pretty much every local event, even if I was bored to tears.
Did it work? Who knows, but I can honestly say that I have been made to feel most welcome everywhere I have ever been here.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

11 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

My wife is from a small village in Isaan that is 38 km to the nearest 7-11.

There is nothing there, no stores, restaurants etc.

^ Well this pretty well sums it up about why you post so negatively about Thailand. Why don't you just come out and admit that you met your now wife, moved to an area that was simply not your cup of tea and bailed back to the US to your comfort zone? There is no need to keep posting all the other nonsense you do about Thailand. No one will blame you. Shit happens. Its no different than moving somewhere in the US that you simply do not fit in, the neighborhood is bad, neighbors are rude or the weather isn't what you like etc. 

Again I feel many move to locations where their gal grew up never really giving it some time to see if they could adapt to the location. Then after a few years the guy starts to unravel and lose their minds and exit only to come back on this forum and rip Thailand with generalizations and then when someone refutes it they call them a liar and delusional. There are some really nice places to live in Thailand. Many of us did our research outside the "VJJ blurr" and are living in areas that suit them well. 

Answering your question, I am the only foreigner in the neighborhood  but I have seen 4 or 5 old guys at various times in downtown Lampang at Big C and Makro.  For me, I have a 7-11 about 1 km and a new large PTT deal 2 or so km away, along with a CP store and very nice morning market. Hospital about 3KM,  The Wang river 300 yards. In Lampang (15KM) away there are all the regular stores we have come to know and a small CentralPlaza mall plus loads of shops to get anything I should ever need or want. 

• Like 1

When we had been in our village for about 3 years I had never seen another farang here, I was sure I was the only one. Then a policeman came to our house, said he was documenting all the foreigners. Turns out there were 3, I still haven't met the others, although I am sure there are more than 3 now.

11 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Have you ever been anywhere in Thailand where you were the first farang to ever visit that town, city, etc.?

Yes, and I seemed like just everybody came out to experience this weird alien creature that suddenly appeared there...:smile:

• Like 1