Thai taxi driver said his life is being ruined after English teacher posts damning clip

webfact

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

A pathetic Thai. I know that Thai women cry at the drop of a hat to get what they want - but a Thai man? Well, it's fake 'crying' anyway. And it is so typical that he cannot simply admit he was in the wrong and will learn from this experience and do better in future. 

Never any sense of self-blame or self-criticism. Only self-pity.

Incidentally, I find that in the last few years the taxi service in Bangkok has got noticeably worse (it has coincided with the  junta's reign - but that might be sheer chance, I don't know - or maybe it's one form of lawlessness and criminality breeding another ....): taxis frequently will not stop when I hail them (years ago, this rarely happened to me); they frequently try to take me via a long and circuitous route; and fairly often they try the 'no use meter' trick. Things used to be much better regarding taxis in BKK. And I don't believe that these drivers are so hard-up financially: if they were, they would not sail past so many customers, as they do. They clearly are not paupers - as is confirmed when I often see them counting wads of 100 baht notes!

I agree gotten worse but there have been initiatives launched to combat it so can't say its the junta's doing or anything like that. Its just that there is not enough policing (sounds familiar). When there is not enough policing people start breaking the law. Just look at traffic here. 

I don't know if they are poor or not, but like you said they pass up enough passengers and if they are in need of money or a ride they would not do that.  

Its good that this guy got shamed.

• Thanks 1

Just now, robblok said:

That guy is already real popular, he does not need this. He is just doing a good deed trying to reign in cheating taxi drivers.

When is the last time you were in the BKK area using taxi's. If you were here you know how bad it can be. 

in nearly 20 years i have never had these problems i keep hearing about. i am in bkk now but live in the south and often take taxis instead of driving if i'm going out to drink in bkk

if you believe these you tube guys don't get themselves in the media to try and boost their hits, well, i'd have to disagree.

doing a good deed eh? not sure about that

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

in nearly 20 years i have never had these problems i keep hearing about. i am in bkk now but live in the south and often take taxis instead of driving if i'm going out to drink in bkk

if you believe these you tube guys don't get themselves in the media to try and boost their hits, well, i'd have to disagree.

doing a good deed eh? not sure about that

Strange that you don't have these problems.. I have had them a lot and I live in the north of BKK. Main problems were in the center of BKK and tourist area's not as much here where I live. Its also well documented that this is normal so its actually strange that you don't have those problems. Countless polls (for thais) show differently. 

Oh I agree that these YouTube guys like extra clicks (makes them money) but he is already popular.. he could not have foreseen that this would have picked up the way it did. I think it started of as a good deed.. and for doing so karma rewarded him with loads of clicks. 

4 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

I bet that creepy looking English teacher has tattoos, and wears sandals in the classroom. Has anyone verified his degree and other teaching credentials?  

You are being too kind, i would guess he wears white socks and shorts..

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Strange that you don't have these problems.. I have had them a lot and I live in the north of BKK. Main problems were in the center of BKK and tourist area's not as much here where I live. Its also well documented that this is normal so its actually strange that you don't have those problems. Countless polls (for thais) show differently. 

Oh I agree that these YouTube guys like extra clicks (makes them money) but he is already popular.. he could not have foreseen that this would have picked up the way it did. I think it started of as a good deed.. and for doing so karma rewarded him with loads of clicks. 

never have been ripped off and certainly not been tried to be overcharged for tolls. always been given receipt. our BKK house is out in Nawamin so far from central but i also have a condo central that i used to stay in a lot a few years ago. Only problems that have occurred sometimes don't want to use meter, i don't get in. sometimes don't want to go to Nawamin from central as too far, get next taxi. no other issues at all. if you find that strange so be it. just my experience.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Happy enough said:

never have been ripped off and certainly not been tried to be overcharged for tolls. always been given receipt. our BKK house is out in Nawamin so far from central but i also have a condo central that i used to stay in a lot a few years ago. Only problems that have occurred sometimes don't want to use meter, i don't get in. sometimes don't want to go to Nawamin from central as too far, get next taxi. no other issues at all. if you find that strange so be it. just my experience.

I been in the nawamin area a lot.. before (Bungsamran fishing soi 42). The problem was not so prevalent there. As i said tourist area's navamin is not really tourist area and like my area more out of the way.

You do know that taxi's by law have to turn on the meter. So you are actually making my point by not turning on the meter they are breaking the law, taxis also by law have to pick up everyone. so by not going where you want to go again they are breaking the law.

So your confirming that taxi's are not following the law at all. I have had those problems too not turning on the meter (that is actually what the guy reported) and taxis not going where you want to go.. not so bad if its one .. but after 5 it gets a bit boring. That is one of the biggest reasons i try to avoid taxis now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Not sure you noticed.. but normally in Thailand nothing much happens until the powers that be are shamed into action. DLT is useless in most cases.. now after the clip they came into action. 

Its standard operating procedure here.. not long ago there were some power poles installed in pedestrian bridges.. nothing was done until it came on social media.. the lady that exposed the corruption... social media first... then action.. 

a power pole isn't quite the same as an individual person. i just think it was unfair to shame the person on social media rather than just the service he claims he got 

• Like 2