Safety of Thai Propane Tanks Left in Heat

Mysteir

Hi All,

We recently bought a western style BBQ (propane) and will be buying a propane tank to connect to it (PTT 7 KG). We will have the BBQ out on the front porch. Placing the BBQ elsewhere is not an option.

My concern is that the porch gets HOT as it receives a ton of direct sunlight. The tank would be covered and in the shade, however even in the shade, the area gets very hot mid-day. Is this safe?

I am not used to Thai propane tanks (I know that in the west they are well made, heat resistant and have a safety escape valve if the pressure builds). Do Thai propane tanks have these safety features? Am I safe leaving it out there? Last thing I need is to blow up our place. 

I see a ton of these tanks being wheeled to local restaurants and would imagine that they *have* to be very safe, otherwise there would be explosions all over the place.

Can anyone advise? Thanks.

aa.jpg

Edited by Mysteir
spelling
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

We have just kept our 400 bht ago change-over gas tanks outside in the shade for over 12 years never known of one blowing up.

Thanks for that, very helpful. Is the tank similar to the image I posted? Just want to make sure we are comparing apples to apples.

1 hour ago, Mysteir said:

Thanks for that, very helpful. Is the tank similar to the image I posted? Just want to make sure we are comparing apples to apples.

Yep we get change-overs local in the village, I just know it as gas not propane.

Whoops the afternoon sun is on it at the mo. :laugh:

30742971_10156387585025990_770903321000019967_n.jpg.0591ae8e16d7d0cc3263ea335cd01b15.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Don't worry about the tanks.

Be more concerned about:

The pressure regulators (? is it called like this) which sit at the tank directly.

The rubber tubes.

The cookers as such.

The regulators are prone to ageing and leaking.

We had this at our kitchen once.

The cookers do not have any safety function that avoids gas flow without flame. Some risk if negligent.

Absolutely NEVER FORGET to close the valve at the tank when done/ready!

Check before leaving the site, before going to bed.

Always check whether a cooker valve has been left open.

The daughter often ONLY closes the valve at the tank but not at the cooker.

I hate that when I ignite the other flame next morning. Flame "jumping".

Of course the risk by leaks is low if the tank is in open air (as described in the OP) or in a ventilated room (that can not be sealed).

good advice...when my wife comes down to my kitchen when I'm not cooking she always checks the tank valve to see that it's closed...I've gotten into the habit...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yep we get change-overs local in the village, I just know it as gas not propane.

Whoops the afternoon sun is on it at the mo. :laugh:

30742971_10156387585025990_770903321000019967_n.jpg.0591ae8e16d7d0cc3263ea335cd01b15.jpg

It used to be Butane gas, but nowadays Propane.   Liquid Propane Gas.

Not a bad idea to have a safety fitting which cuts off the gas if the tubing is cut, falls off or whatever.  

In Indonesia, we often had salesmen trying to sell high pressure tubing from the cylinder to the stove.   In fact the pressure is reduced to only 6inches/15cm water gauge by the pressure reduction valve (orange in this photo).

2 hours ago, masuk said:

Not a bad idea to have a safety fitting which cuts off the gas if the tubing is cut, falls off or whatever.  

In Indonesia, we often had salesmen trying to sell high pressure tubing from the cylinder to the stove.   In fact the pressure is reduced to only 6inches/15cm water gauge by the pressure reduction valve (orange in this photo).

2 hours ago, masuk said:

They use Butane because it’s a lower  presure.

1 hour ago, Thongkorn said:

Er translate.

คุณไม่สามารถมีการระเบิดโดยไม่มีตันของออกซิเจนเคมี ระเบิดส่วนใหญ่เป็นออกซิเจนไม่ใช่เชื้อเพลิง คุณอาจมีไฟขนาดใหญ่ได้  ?

2 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Er translate.

Common fuels like butane, propane, LPG, gasoline, wood and stuff burn.  It requires oxygen to, well, oxidize the fuel.  There are explosives that either have an oxidizer in them or can simply explode (with some means of "initiating") because of the potential energy due to molecular bonds. Industrial processes that use high-pressure oxygen require great caution.  Fires or virtual explosions have occurred simply because a jet of pure, high-pressure oxygen flowed and heated a small spot to the kindling point of the metal piping.  Many have been killed or injured working on pure oxygen cylinders. 

Always turn valve off on gas bottle before turning off gas  valves on the bbq, prevents any chance of flame going back down hose into gas  bottle,in OZ gas  bottles must be inspected every 10 years for rust or any other defects which could weaken the steel,just keep a check on manufacture date of bottle,if there any such thing.

7 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Common fuels like butane, propane, LPG, gasoline, wood and stuff burn.  It requires oxygen to, well, oxidize the fuel.  There are explosives that either have an oxidizer in them or can simply explode (with some means of "initiating") because of the potential energy due to molecular bonds. Industrial processes that use high-pressure oxygen require great caution.  Fires or virtual explosions have occurred simply because a jet of pure, high-pressure oxygen flowed and heated a small spot to the kindling point of the metal piping.  Many have been killed or injured working on pure oxygen cylinders. 

Do you mean there is a tri angle.oxygen fuel and combustion . Take one away and nothing happens.

An Oxidiser to me. Means a substance that carry’s its own oxygen. And can burn even in a Vacum.

Edited by Thongkorn

11 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Do you mean there is a tri angle.oxygen fuel and combustion . Take one away and nothing happens.

An Oxidiser to me. Means a substance that carry’s its own oxygen. And can burn even in a Vacum.

Like that.  There are some substances, like acetylene ( C2H2 ), that can detonate without oxygen. Other stuff like TNT has oxygen built in. Acetylene makes a better boom with oxygen, but can go bang without it. 

Check out what happens when you pour liquid oxygen on a barbecue: 

Acetylene and oxygen and a travel trailer: