True Move can take my money. How is this legal?

giddyup

3 hours ago, Zyxel said:

With TrueMove when you dial *934*90# it will add 90 days to the expiry date for 6 baht I think.

If you dial *934*180# it will add 180 days (12 baht).

After doing this you receive a confirmation SMS with the new expiry date and balance. I haven't done it recently so I don't know if it is still available.

The expiry date can not be extended more then a year, let's say if the expiry date is in 10 months and you add 3 months, you will get only 2 months added.

How does that work on Prepaid if you have to pay 6 baht.

25 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

How does that work on Prepaid if you have to pay 6 baht.

I am on Prepaid and, as a test, I just added 180 days to my previous expiry date (it was 04/11/18 now it is 04/04/2019), 12 Baht were deducted from my balance. As I wrote before, you cannot extend the expiry date more than a year, today it would have been 22/04/19. I received an sms telling me that I got 180 extra days. To check the new expiry date (and balance) you have to dial #123#. I though it was written in the sms but no.

Edited by Zyxel

On 21/04/2018 at 1:40 PM, ravip said:

Before changing providers, check their terms & conditions too. This limited time policy on pre-paid accounts are quite common in most countries - the period varies between companies.

I too changed from True to AIS

AIS Is Same ,,,Time up You lose,,,  Top up 50/100 THB from time to time and you Gain Time  I am Up in Time till May 2019

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Lebara in the UK are the same, so it does happen it Western countries. As you are just on a pay as you go, did you ever really have a signed agreement or was it just a sim purchase

Just a sim purchase.

On 4/21/2018 at 1:07 PM, giddyup said:

It wasn't in their policy when I signed up 8 years ago, and I don't recall signing up for any changes since then. A company using those kind of tactics wouldn't last 5 minutes in a western country, but then True is renowned for it's heavy-handed policies.

Never experienced this problem. Sometimes I"m away for 5 months. Balance is still there.

On 4/21/2018 at 1:40 PM, ravip said:

Before changing providers, check their terms & conditions too. This limited time policy on pre-paid accounts are quite common in most countries - the period varies between companies.

I too changed from True to AIS

They used to do this in the UK a few years ago too until the the Government stepped in and stopped it, now any money does'nt matter how small stays there!

Edited by maxcorrigan
spelling

3 hours ago, Letseng said:

Never experienced this problem. Sometimes I"m away for 5 months. Balance is still there.

It means that you spend enough to have 1 year valid balance.

Only people who do not refill enough see their balance expire.

On 21/04/2018 at 1:14 PM, giddyup said:

I used to pay at the 7/11 whenever money got low, still do, but as I said, they have introduced this new policy without me signing anything. Legal or not, it's certainly unethical. I dropped True internet because of their steam roller tactics, time to lose their mobile service as well.

I’m sure True Move will be shitting themselves at loosing your x amount of baht per month. 

Serious though, why not just top up less amounts or go for post paid. Businesses are in the game to make money they are not charities. In the words of the great John Lydgate “ You can please some of the people all of the time, You can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time. 

On 4/21/2018 at 1:07 PM, giddyup said:

It wasn't in their policy when I signed up 8 years ago, and I don't recall signing up for any changes since then. A company using those kind of tactics wouldn't last 5 minutes in a western country, but then True is renowned for it's heavy-handed policies.

Corporate policy changes are rammed down your throat these days, wrong as it may seem.

Simply here are the changes which will be implemented 'fait accompli'.......Change your provider, but the days of long term credit validity are harder to find. Put in what you need and operate top-ups such that you maintain the validity. Mine is 12 months with AIS. Put a calendar  reminder in your phone to tell you to check/do it.

Edited by jacko45k

By introducing this new policy they are basically saying that I'm not spending my mobile money fast enough, so the penalty is that they will just take it. Disgusting. Time to lose True mobile as I have done with their cable service (did that after 6 months) and their internet service.

I think there’s a balance... to some degree, even while I’m sure it’s incrementally small, I’m sure they do incur some level of costs to just “carry” you on their books/system ... so I can see a case being made that after some point in time (like X months) of consecutive no-revenue production, that they’d want to recoup some of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I can hardly believe that this thread has gone forty five posts without anyone realising the issue.

If it was just giddyup, I wouldn't bother, as that character is just rude. 

But since there is another with the same issue....ExpatDraco, the simple answer is that they are both using Truemove H Tourist SIMs.

They only allow three months validity in advance.

If you want twelve months in advance with Truemove H, you'll need to get a common or garden Truemove H SIM.

Ahah! That explains a lot! Will pay True a visit next time when I go to Big-C. :) /bow

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

On 4/21/2018 at 5:38 PM, ravip said:

For how long?

For example if you top up 50 BAHT on January 1st, 2018 will it last till January 1st, 2019 if you dont use or top up?

Then why do you need the phone? 50 baht a year!

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

the simple answer is that they are both using Truemove H Tourist SIMs.

Yes, I think I suggested this in post # 18...

Some older promotions/SIM packages did have unusual terms, like 90 max expiry.

But it is quite simple to contact TrueMove H and sort this out, most likely by changing to a new/different promotion.

And yes, most of the tourist SIMs have/had shorter-term expirations, again, for obvious reasons - they need to be recycled as the operators have a fixed pool of numbers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Yes, I think I suggested this in post # 18...

Some older promotions/SIM packages did have unusual terms, like 90 max expiry.

But it is quite simple to contact TrueMove H and sort this out, most likely by changing to a new/different promotion.

And yes, most of the tourist SIMs have/had shorter-term expirations, again, for obvious reasons - they need to be recycled as the operators have a fixed pool of numbers.

You can't change the promo on all Truemove H Tourist SIM. Test by calling 9305.

Then why do you need the phone? 50 baht a year!

50B is more than I spend on calls here per year. A lot more in fact. But I do receive SMS messages from my Thai banks, and other people, and I also get some calls from time to time. And whenever I travel within Thailand I take out a 4G package for the duration of my trip. So True dont do too badly out of me.

I also have a UK SIM on which I have never made a single pay call in the two years I have had it. But I do get some UK bank SMS messages on it and I also buy a monthly roaming data package for it when I travel internationally. So they dont do too badly either.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:33 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

Yes. Even if it is illegal no-one cares.

Not really true, there is actually a consumer protection type agency working in Thailand, who do actually sort out problems, it is a part of the Prime Minister's office. Quote:

The OCPB receives complaints from consumers who suffer hardship or injury resulting from the acts of the business operator for submitting it to the Consumer Protection Board for further consideration and proceeding. Every consumer being disadvantaged or injury from any product or service can make the complaint at the Office of the Consumer Protection Board, the Government House, Bangkok 10300 by sending letter to P.O. Box 99, Bangkok 10300 or coming by himself/herself or by telephone hotline number 1166.

Consumer rights are addressed in The Consumer Protection Act B.E. 2522 as amended by the Consumer Protection Act (No.2) B.E. 2541.

OCPB Website http://www.ocpb.go.th/ocpb_eng/main.php?filename=index___EN

Edited by cosmosis
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, cosmosis said:

Not really true, there is actually a consumer protection type agency working in Thailand, who do actually sort out problems, it is a part of the Prime Minister's office. Quote:

The OCPB receives complaints from consumers who suffer hardship or injury resulting from the acts of the business operator for submitting it to the Consumer Protection Board for further consideration and proceeding. Every consumer being disadvantaged or injury from any product or service can make the complaint at the Office of the Consumer Protection Board, the Government House, Bangkok 10300 by sending letter to P.O. Box 99, Bangkok 10300 or coming by himself/herself or by telephone hotline number 1166.

Consumer rights are addressed in The Consumer Protection Act B.E. 2522 as amended by the Consumer Protection Act (No.2) B.E. 2541.

OCPB Website http://www.ocpb.go.th/ocpb_eng/main.php?filename=index___EN

Toothless. I wrote to them about CTH when they were showing the footy and demanding money for bills already paid. They said they'd get to me within a month, three years ago. I guess they did what I did and just wrote to them, and when CTH ignored them as they had ignored me that was the end of it. So in my experience not fit for purpose.