British charity worker feared being raped in 40-day Thai prison nightmare

webfact

Charity worker feared being raped in 40-day Thai prison nightmare

Sean Felton was thrown into a squalid cell packed with 50 inmates

By Mike Lockley

JS149424109.jpg

Sean Felton spent 40 days in a tough Thai jail. //Picture: Birmingham Live

A charity worker who spent more than a month in the hell-hole conditions of a Thai prison has told how he feared being raped.

For 40 days and 40 nights, Sean Felton fought off perverts and killers in the soiled, sewer-stench confines of the rat maze that is Sakhon Nakon Prison.

He survived in a cramped, squalid cell – home to 50 inmates – on three bowls of rice each day. He slept on the floor. He bathed with fellow lags in a trough of filthy, dirty water that, stagnant and over-used, stank of decay.

Full story: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/charity-worker-feared-being-raped-14559642

-- Birmingham Mail 2018-04-23

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Yes, I read it, however you appear to have misunderstood it, it was not his child, he was paid to kidnap the kid by the father.  And her valid grievance was what got him 30 days in the Thai jail, you are not allowed to enter someones home without their permission to kidnap their child, whether the father has asked you to or not, and the only reason they were released after 30 days is because the mother changed her mind, dropped the charges and allowed her son to go to Scotland with the father.  As for your, she could inform the British embassy, are you seriously suggesting that Thailand allows British people to kidnap Thai children and then try to get them back through the British embassy?  How about doing what they, stopping them from taking them in the first place until a lawful agreement has been reached?

OK, I just re-read the article. A misunderstanding on my part.

The phrase:... accused of snatching their son from Edinburgh – played a key part in the pair’s liberation.

I thought it was his son.

What I meant was, if she had a valid & legal claim, she could approach the BE.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

OK, I just re-read the article. A misunderstanding on my part.

The phrase:... accused of snatching their son from Edinburgh – played a key part in the pair’s liberation.

I thought it was his son.

What I meant was, if she had a valid & legal claim, she could approach the BE.

She would not have been allowed to leave the UK without a legal claim over her son, but I agree it wasn't the right way to do it, and as you believe this then why are you supporting someone doing the same in Thailand instead of using their "valid and legal claim" with which to approach the Thai authorities?

I can recall a story some years back about prisoner exchanges whereas some African prisoners were offered exchanges by Thailand and they said no thanks the prisons here are luxury compared to ours. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I visit the prisons regularly and I have never in 10 years heard of anyone getting raped. There are plenty of obliging lady boys in there, so no need. While I agree conditions are squalid, the suggestion of stinking and stagnant water for washing, I also do not believe for a second. 5 years for a lighter? 5 years for fighting? Utter rubbish. To my mind the fella, who admittedly has been through a nasty experience, is now embellishing the story for all it is worth. I am sure he has his own reasons for that, but it still doesn't make it true. Any respect I had for him has gone.

Every word you say is right; either he's lied to the British press or they have exaggerated it for dramatic effect.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

A quick google reveals plenty of ex inmates speaking of the rapes during their own times in prison, who do we believe, those who have been in the cells or those who have just visited?

You believe those that have been incarcerated in the cells and have no reason to go to the media and those who visit regularly.   They are the ones that would get the real story from those they visit.

There are consenting outlets for those that mutually need some kind of sex, male rape is unheard of because of the potential punishment, except from those who have something to sell when they get out, or a business to promote!

12 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Jesus, first time, through personal experience, that  I've been able to agree with you 100% even although I'm surprised that you only got two meals per day.

In Buriram prison you get fed at 7.30 am and again at 3.30 pm, locked in the cell at 4.30 pm.

11 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Jesus, first time, through personal experience, that  I've been able to agree with you 100% even although I'm surprised that you only got two meals per day.

I think you'll find that he only had two meals full stop, given he was only in there overnight :smile:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

You believe those that have been incarcerated in the cells and have no reason to go to the media and those who visit regularly.   They are the ones that would get the real story from those they visit.

There are consenting outlets for those that mutually need some kind of sex, male rape is unheard of because of the potential punishment, except from those who have something to sell when they get out, or a business to promote!

Well, I guess you didn't google then, lots of accounts of the prisoners getting raped by the guards.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Read my post ok.

I am not speaking as a prison visitor, but as an ex -prisoner in a Thai prison (Buriram ).

Stop trying to defend a man who is making up stories for financial gain.

Stop chastising a man based on your anecdotal evidence alone, that is shameful stuff.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1