I left the gas on for 4 days

ghworker2010

Last night I got back from being away for 4 days and noticed that I accidentally left the gas burner on. It was on a low heat setting. I was in a major rush when leaving but can't believe that I left it on and slightly suspicious. Im also surprised that the gas bottle didn't run out as its quite old and must have been running low before we left. 

I suppose we are lucky that the cook top didn't overheat and catch fire after being on so long. I think its one good reason to take out a building fire insurance policy even if one is renting. 

cheers

I sometimes get the worrying feeling, did I left the coffee machine or gas on after I leave the home. It's never really the case, but the fear is still there. 

I was thinking of placing an checklist to my door to tick that I have actually checked everything is off when I leave the house.

9 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

We always turn the knob on top of the gas bottle to the off positon when we have finished cooking.  Its not a bad habit to get into.

I would be really anal - force of habit from doing a lot of yachting - and turn the valve off at the bottle while the burner is still on in order to burn off the excess in the tube.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oilinki said:

I sometimes get the worrying feeling, did I left the coffee machine or gas on after I leave the home. It's never really the case, but the fear is still there. 

I was thinking of placing an checklist to my door to tick that I have actually checked everything is off when I leave the house.

Make pictures with your phone.

9 hours ago, oilinki said:

What's worse? Worry about leaving it on or leaving it on? One could damage your place, the other can damage your health.

14 hours ago, ghworker2010 said:

Last night I got back from being away for 4 days and noticed that I accidentally left the gas burner on. It was on a low heat setting. I was in a major rush when leaving but can't believe that I left it on and slightly suspicious. Im also surprised that the gas bottle didn't run out as its quite old and must have been running low before we left. 

I suppose we are lucky that the cook top didn't overheat and catch fire after being on so long. I think its one good reason to take out a building fire insurance policy even if one is renting. 

"I suppose we are lucky that the cook top didn't overheat and catch fire..."

Aren't stove tops designed to be up to be able to withstand the heat of the burner on full?  It doesn't matter how long the burner was on for, the surrounds only get as hot as the burner, the heat doesn't increase any more with time once it's hot.

• Like 1

Your getting old.   I found my full water glass I lost last night in the pantry shelf thus am.   So far I haven't left the car keys in the Fridge.  

How big was the tank?   

The mistakes we make when in a hurry.  

Glad it turned out ok.   

7 hours ago, poanoi said:

fails gonna escalate as you get older and older,

accept the decay, there's nothing to do about the inevitable anyway

True. I've already turned the microwave on and forgot to put the food in first. And that's only the beginning. Be afraid. Be very afraid....... :sad:

• Like 1

I would be worried about a breeze or gust of wind extinguishing the low flame leaving the heavier-than-air gas pooling around the floor, waiting for combustion.

I note that for the past few years, all gas bottle connectors have a button that needs to be depressed  before opening the valve on the bottle before the gas will flow. I think this is a safety shut-off for when a gas line ruptures, ie. sharp increase in gas flow and it shuts off? I don't think it triggers when the burner flame simply gets blown out and there is no rapid pressure change but maybe someone can experiment and get back with us... or maybe not.