Noisy Pit Bull Next Door

Johnniey

We have been in our house in Sansai, Chiang Mai for seven years. The next door neighbor, a nice guy, has always had four or five dogs. Within a month after we moved in, I noticed a pattern. The dogs were barking every night between 2 and 3am. One morning, I went over to the neighbor, friendly as I could be and expressed my concern for the incident the night before. He, of course, didn't know what I was talking about. I said, well, I figured you must have had a gang of criminals breaking in, because the dogs were making so much racket. He got the hint, all smiles, and has been much better since. We're still quite cordial. The dogs will occasionally wake me, but the next thing I hear is the neighbor yelling at them to shut the hell up. Sometimes I hear him go outdoors and put the dogs in their pen, with a scolding. Don't know if that will work for you.

2 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

We have been in our house in Sansai, Chiang Mai for seven years. The next door neighbor, a nice guy, has always had four or five dogs. Within a month after we moved in, I noticed a pattern. The dogs were barking every night between 2 and 3am. One morning, I went over to the neighbor, friendly as I could be and expressed my concern for the incident the night before. He, of course, didn't know what I was talking about. I said, well, I figured you must have had a gang of criminals breaking in, because the dogs were making so much racket. He got the hint, all smiles, and has been much better since. We're still quite cordial. The dogs will occasionally wake me, but the next thing I hear is the neighbor yelling at them to shut the hell up. Sometimes I hear him go outdoors and put the dogs in their pen, with a scolding. Don't know if that will work for you.

My other neighbor does that too. Now I listen to him yelling shut up half the time and dogs barking the other half...

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Depending on where the OP is, the local Department of Public Health may be of assistance. Noise and dangerous dogs both come under their remit.

I can second this, a few years ago I had a issue with a yappy dog on the soi

A very long story short after I visited my local Tessaban (Hua Hin) officers went round the next day and spoke to the owner, the officers didn't ask me for any  money 

However if your office does do anything will depend on if they can be bothered and maybe if you are going to offer them any money

However as stated by the poster I have quoted the Tessaban is the place to visit if you want to try and do something

Good luck and post how you get on

3 hours ago, henry15 said:

Poisson the dog

5 minutes ago, The manic said:

Do not feed it with food laced with Paracetamol or any NSAi such as Diclofenac..

You both suggest this but I very much doubt you would do it yourself, suggesting it on a forum is easy, do you have the balls to do it? I doubt it

You both should look up Thailand's animal cruelty laws, you could find yourself in serious trouble if you attempted what you have suggested

As the OP has already spoken to the dogs owner about this issue it would be pretty obvious who the police would question first

• Thanks 1

We were cursed in our Melbourne suburb by neighbouring dogs which were neglected during the day, left out in the yard, bored and lonely.  A dog is a pack animal, social, you the owner are the alpha male.  Some of these dogs were very expensive pedigree animals. They bark because they are bored.   

I live in a village where the dogs own the streets after dark, they don't bite, just bark a warning.

My wife and I moved back to her village 15 months ago, we were gifted a dog. Tom, gold coloured soi dog.  Other family members' mutts joined in, received  strokes and affection and wouldn't go home. We now have five and three wannabes.  They bark at strangers but sleep quietly in the night in the yard because they are happy.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, darrendsd said:

You both suggest this but I very much doubt you would do it yourself, suggesting it on a forum is easy, do you have the balls to do it? I doubt it

You both should look up Thailand's animal cruelty laws, you could find yourself in serious trouble if you attempted what you have suggested

As the OP has already spoken to the dogs owner about this issue it would be pretty obvious who the police would question first

I said Do Not feed it with....Do not  repeat do no. Let the situation calm down until many other neighbours have  complained then do not  do not throw poisoning snakes over the fence Do Not do this. Let other neighbours complain. BTW if you are concerned about animal cruelty then report the owners..a a dog does not howl all night and day unless it is being cruelly treated. 

7 hours ago, thurien said:

ask a Cambodian to "help" you with this issue...

If it is indeed a Pit, here will be plenty of muscle to chew on......they are great for Khmer Weddings..........yummy.

• Haha 2

I am sure that recently, it was either discussed, and a law was passed that police were to handle the barking dog problem.  There was a fine that could be put against the dog owners if there was a barking problem.  When I am in Thailand, I have the same problem and was glad to see that action was taken on this.  I left on March 22nd.  I don't know where or how to check but I would try to find out about it at push it.  If you find something, let me know because I will be back in a couple months.  Hope others have heard of this.  Problem is getting the police to help you.

18 hours ago, Johnniey said:

I bought one of those devices fifteen years ago due to the same problem. Had to get a friend bring it over from the UK for me.

The one I had was no use at all, positioned it within five metres of the dog. It didn't affect the dog or make it quiet.

Perhaps it was deaf.

11 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Pit bulls are evil. Some say move house. I wouldn't. I'd buy some antifreeze and stick it in a sausage, and slip it to the owner.555

That's cruel, as then the dog would starve to death (well, once it have devoured the owner).

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, nanglong218 said:

We were cursed in our Melbourne suburb by neighbouring dogs which were neglected during the day, left out in the yard, bored and lonely.  A dog is a pack animal, social, you the owner are the alpha male.  Some of these dogs were very expensive pedigree animals. They bark because they are bored.   

I live in a village where the dogs own the streets after dark, they don't bite, just bark a warning.

My wife and I moved back to her village 15 months ago, we were gifted a dog. Tom, gold coloured soi dog.  Other family members' mutts joined in, received  strokes and affection and wouldn't go home. We now have five and three wannabes.  They bark at strangers but sleep quietly in the night in the yard because they are happy.  

That's great but the posters neighbors dog does not act this way and the neighbor does not seem open to parenting lessons...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dick Crank said:

That's great but the posters neighbors dog does not act this way and the neighbor does not seem open to parenting lessons...

Parenting lessons is the point I'm making.  Too many people buy the posh dog then throw it out the back yard when it asks for attention. A dog is not a status symbol, it is a family member.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I bought one of those devices fifteen years ago due to the same problem. Had to get a friend bring it over from the UK for me.

The one I had was no use at all, positioned it within five metres of the dog. It didn't affect the dog or make it quiet.

Perhaps it was deaf.

Same experience a few years back, no effect whatsoever. Ear plugs are not effective with loud dog barking.

OP as you've spoken with the dog owner cannot implement the Thai solution. As already mentioned try reporting issue to your local Amphur, but usually requires at least two Thai neighbours to backup your complaint for action to be taken.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

Maybe the OP will get lucky and, if the dog likes to spend lots of time in the street, it will meet the same fate as many of the problem dogs have in my neighborhood:

A speeding car or truck terminates its existence with extreme prejudice.