Five year old twins marry in Surin in ritual to ward off bad luck

rooster59

Just now, wgdanson said:

Sorry Sir, I must have read the headline incorrectly. My apologies.

Apology accepted . 

I even would have thought that everyone in Thailand knows that when twins get "married" , it is just a village ceremony and not a real marriage , I thought that everyone would know that the legal age in Thailand to get married is 16 years old and therefore it wouldnt be legally possible for 5 year olds to get married

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, wgdanson said:

Cannot understand you using the term 'everyone in Thailand knows'. Ask someone who Donald Trump is or who were The Beatles?

Stories like this come up every six months or so and everyone is initially shocked , until its explained to them that its just a ceremony to appease the gods and they are no longer shocked .

In Thai folklore , its told that when two male and female twins are born , they were married in a past life and they both died together and they pleaded with the gods to reincarnate them as twins , so they could live together .

The twins get married in order not to upset the gods , they believe that god may kill the twins again , if they dont get "married" .

Its just a bit of harmless folklore and the twins will not consummate the "marriage" and they will go on the get married to other people when they grow up .

I thought everyone in Thailand knew this  

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Stories like this come up every six months or so and everyone is initially shocked , until its explained to them that its just a ceremony to appease the gods and they are no longer shocked .

In Thai folklore , its told that when two male and female twins are born , they were married in a past life and they both died together and they pleaded with the gods to reincarnate them as twins , so they could live together .

The twins get married in order not to upset the gods , they believe that god may kill the twins again , if they dont get "married" .

Its just a bit of harmless folklore and the twins will not consummate the "marriage" and they will go on the get married to other people when they grow up .

I thought everyone in Thailand knew this  

Sorry you thought wrong.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, daoyai said:

was common practice in the north and among some hill tribes

1. It wasnt "coming practice" in the North at all and theres no evidence that it happened at all in Thailand  , although it did happened in a few primitive little villages in Laos and Myanmar hill tribes 
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Just watched a documentary about hill people in Laos. Their method of dealing with twins traditionally was to kill both babies because they would bring bad stuff to the village.

So I guess this makes the Thais progressive?

The British used to deal with witches by drowning them and if they survived, they were witches and if they died, they were not witches

• Like 1

I have twin boy/girl and they went through this ceremony. The reason for it is that the twins were once boyfriend/girlfriend in a previous life who died before they could marry. The ceremony is performed  as children in the belief that it won't happen again and they'll never be parted in life a second time.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Obviously

All those people that have certain "lucky" clothes or certain "lucky" items that they sometimes carry around with them for "good luck" , football players that carry out certain procedures before games, all idiots . 

• Sad 1

My twins went through this mock marriage thing and it's a Thai tradition that should be kept alive. The same as we have traditions back in our home countries that should never die. If people have their beliefs then who are we to say they're idiots? Farang tink too mut.

• Sad 1