Fault car accident....bill way too high?

Get the first class insurance and let the damn insurance companies battle it out. It is cheaper than you think. Mine just jumped to 17K per year (2012 Pajero Sport) after a wall jumped in front of my (not too experienced driver) wife. BTW, you would not be paying for a rental with the insurance here either unless specifically written in.

• Like 1

Is American Full Cover still as easy as it was. I remember expecting forms , silly questions like in Europe. All i got was we dont have another rental in that colour.As it should be.[emoji594]?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, Apiwan2 said:

What is self insure ?

New to me

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

This is a term used for those who do not pay and have the peace of mind by getting adequate insurance and adopt the idea that they will pay for the other vehicle if they have an accident and decide to just take the compulsory government insurance.

Guys like this tend to do the same with medical insurance and say they 'self-insure '  meaning they take the chance and will pay for medical care unless its an expensive operation, then they try to jump on a plane (if they are from the UK ) and get it free back home and burden the NHS.Anything to save money, or so they think, till something like this happens.

In my view, and you know it, you are wrong and now you have the bill you don't like the numbers and are trying to find a way out of it or you are trying to renegotiate now the bill has arrived.

Your own car would probably not have cost 7-9,000 baht to fully insure with second class insurance.You have opted to ' skimp on insurance '  and must now face the consequences.

You accept it's clearly your fault, (well, you hit a stationary vehicle), and now you don't want to accept the bill. Also, you have gone about your business nonchalantly until this bill has arrived instead of being proactive, on the ball, and chasing it up regards repair bills, cost of replacement rental car, garage used, etc.

Pay up and suck it up.

As a previous poster states very well, What would have happened if this had been a top of the range Porsche or Mercedes?? I doubt the owner of one of those would have been very impressed with you having no cover.

• Like 1

Means I will personally pay for damages to other peoples' property out of my own bank account / my own funds, rather than take some insurance. 

But there's basic insurance when you tax the car comes with por a bor.

So it's not he's not insured, just got basic to cover damage to 3rd party.

Whether that pays if his fault, which in this case it was.

My Toyota costs 7K PA with 2K excess.

Fully comprehensive

Which is nothing when you see posts like this.

Does he self insure for his life insurance as well [emoji12]

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Damn it man, just buy one... That's about the 5th thread you've posted this photo in :passifier:

Hmmm, only Mrs.Trans does the lottery, but if she won she wouldn't tell me...bored.gif.b72a9a9e2bc1f177117e4d2b9d480050.gif

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Apiwan2 said:

But there's basic insurance when you tax the car comes with por a bor.

So it's not he's not insured, just got basic to cover damage to 3rd party.

This insurance pays just for medical treatment (limited to 200k), not for property damage.

• Like 1

Unless there is some structural damage that’s not 127,000 baht.

Ask for a detailed breakdown of costs.

You could become like a Thai and simply not pay. 

Two things really ally make me sick in Thailand.

Vehicles not moving for ambulances and people in car accidents taking advantage of other parties.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This insurance pays just for medical treatment (limited to 200k), not for property damage.
Really ?

This would be known as third party insurance the bare bones of cover, normally covers damage to other vehicle.

Third party
Third party fire & theft
Fully comprehensive

What I do know is you can't get fully comprehensive insurance when a car reaches a certain age.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Apiwan2 said:

Really ?

This would be known as third party insurance the bare bones of cover, normally covers damage to other vehicle.

Third party
Third party fire & theft
Fully comprehensive

What I do know is you can't get fully comprehensive insurance when a car reaches a certain age.

3rd party covers damage to others (material and/or physical), but the compulsory Porobor is just a very limited cover for injuries only.

• Like 2

Just now, Apiwan2 said:

Really ?

Third party
Third party fire & theft
Fully comprehensive

This here is Thailand not europe ;)

https://www.thailandstarterkit.com/lifestyle/car-insurance/#Compulsory_Third-Party_Liability_Insurance_CTPL

Actually only 80k THB, not 200K as i said before.

9 minutes ago, Apiwan2 said:

Really ?

Third party
Third party fire & theft
Fully comprehensive

What age....?

This here is Thailand not europe [emoji6]
https://www.thailandstarterkit.com/lifestyle/car-insurance/#Compulsory_Third-Party_Liability_Insurance_CTPL
Actually only 80k THB, not 200K as i said before.
And if its his fault decreases to 30K

30K won't pay for much in the hospital.

Good to know.

So a poxy 7K per year for fully comprehensive on my yaris is peanuts.

9 minutes ago, Apiwan2 said:

Really ?

Third party
Third party fire & theft
Fully comprehensive

If you were to buy a car 15 years ago and insure it with 1st class cover you can continue to cover with that same company 

The fact that you self insure is your biggest problem. Had you had a reasonable insurance company, she would not have had any say whatever in where the car was repaired, let alone at a main dealer.

Normally the insurance company will have authorised repair facilities that they send her to to get estimates, or if they are pretty good they will just send her to one of their shops and pay the bill.

The bill of 127K seems an awful lot of money for that amount of damage, not really sure where you stand in getting it repaired elsewhere but if I was you I would ask her insurance company for the contact details of their recommended repair shop and simply offer to pay the estimate from there and refuse to pay from a main dealer.

It was an accident, no one gets a virtual new car each time they take a prang.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

<snip> Had you had a reasonable insurance company, she would not have had any say whatever in where the car was repaired, let alone at a main dealer.

Normally the insurance company will have authorised repair facilities that they send her to to get estimates, or if they are pretty good they will just send her to one of their shops and pay the bill.<snip>

That is for own damage, not for 3rd party damage.

1 minute ago, Apiwan2 said:

And if its his fault decreases to 30K

30K won't pay for much in the hospital.

Good to know.

So a poxy 7K per year for fully comprehensive on my yaris is peanuts.

Yes but read what limit they will pay out for other's property damage for your "poxy 7k" and once you see what that amount can cover I'll bet you'll not want to be parking too closely to a McLaren or a Ferrari lest you exceed the amount of coverage should you nip the corner of their car bumper 

Just now, 8OA8 said:

If you were to buy a car 15 years ago and insure it with 1st class cover you can continue to cover with that same company 

With limitations on wearing parts and Aircon etc.. as my chum found this on his 10YO Teana, still fair deal though it seems to me

20 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Self insure !!! 555 Got $50,000,000 bucks in the bank ?

What will you do if you injure, or kill someone ?

Foolish does not begin to describe your actions.

I would be mad also, and would want it repaired with genuine Honda parts.

And a rental car. Why should I be out of pocket - and carless - because of your lack of responsibility. Happens to everyone ?  Not hardly.

I hope that he is also ready to pay for my 8 MB car...

How idiot can be someone who think that he can self insure is beyond understanding.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

With limitations on wearing parts and Aircon etc.. as my chum found this on his 10YO Teana, still fair deal though it seems to me

I didn't realise that a broken aircon was ever covered by a 1st class insurance, unless it is broken during an accident of course.

Edited by janclaes47
  • Like 1

Thanks to the genius OP, the thread is interesting.

Can you tell me what I could do if it happens to me, to screw him as much as possible ?

I am ready to take his house and all his belongings, even if he has to sleep in the street.

Could I ask as much money as I want, a lot more than it costs to fix my car ?

This is an expensive car, and I want it back as it was when I bought it.

What can do a lawyer to help me screw the guilty self insured idiot ?

This is a serious request, if it happens to me, I will have no pity, no mercy.

4 minutes ago, gaff said:

Can you tell me what I could do if it happens to me, to screw him as much as possible ?

I am ready to take his house and all his belongings, even if he has to sleep in the street.

You sound all heart... It's just a car

If you tried that with me, I'd probably splash out (50,000 baht) for my own self insurance, bang bang nowattamean...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, gaff said:

If this happens to you you better be nice to the other person and hope he is willing to pay. If he doesn't pay and says he has no money you won't get anything, except some extra costs for yourself for your lawyer

9 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If this happens to you you better be nice to the other person and hope he is willing to pay. If he doesn't pay and says he has no money you won't get anything, except some extra costs for yourself for your lawyer

You are clearly dreaming.

I will quickly find if what the OP owns, it is very easy thanks to Thailand snitches, then I will tell my lawyer to take everything possible.