Video: Iron girders propelled like javelins into car in front

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Narongsak, 21, driving the pick-up said he had to brake suddenly at the three way intersection in Bang Len, Nakorn Pathom.

Two of the six meter long girders being carried in a roof section came loose and went into the Ford stopped at the lights driven by 38 year old Ek Reuanbantherng.

Secured load or not, he obviously wasn't paying attention.  Why would he have to 'brake suddenly' when the car in front was stopped at the lights!

This happened to me. Totaled my car and thanks to corruption i had to buy a new vehicle. The insurance company had gone broke at the time and a year later the government was tasked with paying back people. Got 1000thb. The unlicensed person never got in trouble as the police were bribed by the guys boss and in thailand no one gives a sht whos corrupt or not so lead around in circles until we just bought a new car. Its not normal to be honest and do the right thing here. Those that do lose.

This guy clearly is at fault. Could have bought the steel locally in kanchanaburi and had it delivered but i guess a couple hundred baht saving would be possible.

That cheap bent seamed up chinese steel is not worthy of being a girder anyway. A little bit of an exageration me thinks...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, keith101 said:

No matter where ive been here i don't see these things tied down very well and certainly not laid flat like these appear to be

Yes yes... quite correct.... a lovely flat bed to support the (second) row of projectiles, will enable a smoother and more productive launch pad for said projectiles ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Darcula said:

So, tying a couple of red panties at both ends of things sticking out of trucks doesn't prevent this from happening?

It will prevent a more common occurrence though - people running into them from behind because they are hard to see.

35 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

Yes, 100 mm X 30 mm X 1.6 mm skin are not girders, but 'girders' get attention.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Lol... RHS “Spears of death”, would have been a better “attention” grabbing description.... but “girders” get the job done, in a multi language country.... as does the term “iron”, unless you live under a non ferrous rock. 

6 hours ago, djayz said:

They came loose or they weren't tied down in the first place? 

A 21 year old pickup driver doesn't strike me as being the kind of person who would go to the trouble of securing anything on his pickup bar the speakers. 

So all 21 year old pick up drivers are irresponsible? What do you suggest - banning all 21 year olds from driving pick ups?

“You guys just don’t get it do you ??

If I don’t tie em down when I get to the “ site “ I can slam all on and unload em without getting out of the pickup !! Then race back at breakneck speed to get another load, rinse and repeat !!

I’m increasing productivity !! “

7 hours ago, fakename said:

He better buy a lottery ticket today, he will never be this lucky again!  As for the idiot, needs to be hung! he will probably never learn. 

I am not sure that severing his spinal cortex would make much difference: he is already brain dead.

7 hours ago, bluesofa said:

They're lengths of RHS (Rectangular Hollow Section) terms used within the metalworking industry.

There's also CHS (Circular Hollow Section) and SHS (Square Hollow Section)

Thank you at least I learned something :smile: 

3 hours ago, sambum said:

So all 21 year old pick up drivers are irresponsible? What do you suggest - banning all 21 year olds from driving pick ups?

I didn't make, nor do I now, any such suggestions. 

Generally speaking, young people are less responsible and take greater risks than those of us who have been there, done that and learned our lesson.

Every mistake we make is an experience and we should learn from our mistakes. Banning all 21 year olds is not the way to go.

If this 21 year old has learned something from this, then there'll be one irresponsible driver on the roads. 

Unfortunately, sometimes mistakes cost lives or cause serious bodily harm to innocent bystanders. 

4 minutes ago, djayz said:

Generally speaking, young people are less responsible and take greater risks than those of us who have been there, done that and learned our lesson.

Every mistake we make is an experience and we should learn from our mistakes. Banning all 21 year olds is not the way to go.

If this 21 year old has learned something from this, then there'll be one irresponsible driver on the roads. 

Unfortunately, sometimes mistakes cost lives or cause serious bodily harm to innocent bystanders. 

"A 21 year old pickup driver doesn't strike me as being the kind of person who would go to the trouble of securing anything on his pickup bar the speakers"

No? Why didn't you say "MOST 21 year old pick up drivers ...................etc etc

I rest my case!

41 minutes ago, sambum said:

"A 21 year old pickup driver doesn't strike me as being the kind of person who would go to the trouble of securing anything on his pickup bar the speakers"

No? Why didn't you say "MOST 21 year old pick up drivers ...................etc etc

I rest my case!

57 minutes ago, djayz said:

"If this 21 year old has learned something from this, then there'll be one irresponsible driver on the roads". 

I presume you mean "LESS irresponsible"? Or do you mean "one more responsible" ?

9 hours ago, Megasin1 said:

LOL...a reporter groping for a bit of sensationalism, as everyone has pointed out that they are RHS and not girders I will throw in "iron"....LOL...are you sure? They don't use much iron nowadays...LOL...you gotta admire the journalistic accuracy

Did you know that steel is mostly iron?

7 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

Did you know that steel is mostly iron?

but it's known as steel, even by your good self and not iron and to call it such in the gripping headline was just a bit more sensational, as was 'propelled like javelins'

I'm not arguing the make-up of steel, rather the make-up of the headline, if only journalists could be a bit more accurate - sigh

I always stay way back from tucks with these kinds of things loaded up and ready to fly.  Had not considered that these things could attack from behind!  I guess the only thing one can count on these days is a good amulet.