Almost 40% Of Workers Say Minimum Wage Not Enough: Poll

webfact

Almost 40% Of Workers Say Minimum Wage Not Enough: Poll

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

chicken-696x558.jpg

Undated photo of former Thammakaset chicken farm workers. Photo: Andy Hall / Twitter

BANGKOK — Blue collar workers said in a Tuesday university poll that the minimum wage was insufficient to make a living in a poll released to mark Labor Day.

Bangkok Poll, who conducted a survey on 1,045 blue collar workers aged 18 and above in the capital and its vicinities between April 24 and 27, said 39.9 percent of respondents thought the new minimum wage was not enough to make ends meet and that they had to resort to loans.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2018/05/01/almost-40-of-workers-say-minimum-wage-not-enough-poll/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-05-01

Its fine to say minimum wages are not enough but only if you give the average living costs for basic necessities to compare.

It's a similar problem worldwide, there will always be a huge divide between the wealthy and the people on the poverty line.

It takes money to make money, or it takes opportunity. Sadly the majority lack both !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Nigeone said:

It's a roundabout that will never stop. Pay higher minimum wage and in around 3 months with price rises needed to support the rise your back to square one. Thais don't realize that any income rise has to be funded and the only way is in price rises... Greater efficiency is never going to happen sadly . Thais don't in the main work hard and you could argue why should they . The only way it will change is if they are rewarded fairly for working harder and more efficiently . Let's be honest it's not a minimum wage as such but a set standard wage or would seem like that 

Yes a good point, Perhaps it should be retitled the "Universal Standard Wage".

I would think 100% of generals can't manage without some kind of covert income stream so how bottom of the pile manages on low wages must be unbelievably hard and 40% unrealistic fiction.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, midas said:

If the International Labour Organisation is correct  regarding its forecasting Thailand will have to show even more restraint with its wage levels (despite your protests) not only because of competition with lower wage levels from adjoining south-east Asian countries but also because of this......

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2017/05/31/machines-coming-take-millions-thai-jobs-report/

Thanks for the link to that article, which was quite scary. This replacement of humans by robots and A.I. will probably affect all of us eventually. I think in the future university students will largely be taught by computers and robots. So very sad. Humanity is being downplayed and downgraded. Plans must be made to counter this anti-human trend.

As for the need to give lower wages to Thai workers because of 'competition with lower wage levels from adjoining south-east Asian countries': I abhor and reject this race to the bottom. How much less do the Powers That Be (who are immensely wealthy) want to allow the ordinary, mass of the people to earn? Shall we see if our workers can subsist on one bowl of rice a day - and a little bit of soup thrown in? Oh no, no, no! That is uncompetitive: in China, people are living just on one bowl of rice, with no vegetables. I know! Let's make our workers live on just half a bowl of rice a day - or better still, just a few grains of rice. Yes! That should do the trick. Make us REALLY competitive.

Oh, what a pity that the workers are mysteriously all dying of malnutrition. Never mind. We have robots that will do the work for us ...

Disgusting, pathetic and inhuman.

I will NEVER support or espouse this capitalistic or communistic drive to the bottom - to inhuman levels of poverty and exploitation. NEVER!

Edited by Eligius
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Thanks for the link to that article, which was quite scary. This replacement of humans by robots and A.I. will probably affect all of us eventually. I think in the future university students will largely be taught by computers and robots. So very sad. Humanity is being downplayed and downgraded. Plans must be made to counter this anti-human trend.

As for the need to give lower wages to Thai workers because of 'competition with lower wage levels from adjoining south-east Asian countries': I abhor and reject this race to the bottom. How much less do the Powers That Be (who are immensely wealthy) want to allow the ordinary, mass of the people to earn? Shall we see if our workers can subsist on one bowl of rice a day - and a little bit of soup thrown it? Oh no, no, no! That is uncompetitive: in China, people are living just on one bowl of rice, with no vegetables. I know! Let's make our workers live on just half a bowl of rice a day - or better still, just a few grains of rice. Yes! That should do the trick. Make us REALLY competitive.

Oh, what a pity that the workers are mysteriously all dying of malnutrition. Never mind. We have robots that will do the work for us ...

Disgusting and pathetic.

I will NEVER support or espouse this capitalistic or communistic drive to the bottom - to inhuman levels of poverty and exploitation. NEVER!

I share your sentiment completely but unfortunately this is economics by the standard of the banksters. I have a friend who owns a restaurant on Koh Chang (a Frenchman) and he said to me two years ago he was convinced we are all heading for modern day slavery in one form or another:sad: 

• Like 1

One knock on effect of raising the minimum wage is that consumer prices of general everyday items will also rise. So no one ever really wins.
Perhaps educating people how to actually manage what money they earn would be a better option. It is amazing how many people, not just here in Thailand but from all over the world haven't got a clue how to do this. With some careful thought and planning it is quite simple to stretch your available funds a lot further.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, chainarong said:

Certainly some issues with that poll, in OZ 100% would say the minimum wages isn't enough and  for what it's worth neither is the aged pension. .............................................:coffee1:

Yeah except Aussies love a whinge and just happen to have the luxury of the highest minimum wage payment in the world at near 18 dollars and hour imagine how they would be carrying on if the were taking home 12 dollars a day. Poor Thais are getting screwed an they receive nothing even resembling a "living" wage.

Edited by starky
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, shady86 said:

Of course. Companies here need 2 or 3 workers to get same job done by 1 worker in developed nations. Productivity determines your wage.

See how much effort you put into your job when ya bringing down 12 dollars a day hero.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, starky said:

Yeah except Aussies love a whinge and just happen to have the luxury of the highest minimum wage payment in the world at near 18 dollars and hour imagine how they would be carrying on if the were taking home 12 dollars a day. Poor Thais are getting screwed an they receive nothing even resembling a "living" wage.

Again it comes down to cost of living vs minimum wage...

What's the cost of basic necessities in Oz compared to Thailand ?

I don't know, so not sure who is worse off !

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Eligius said:

I would love to see those Westerners or well-off Thais who have had the good fortune and luxury of a fine education and are in a position to earn a decent salary try to survive on the pathetic pittance of a 'salary' many Thais earn  - which would not even pay for one of the wealthy's weekly restaurant meals.

If I had been born into a poor peasant family in the Thai countryside, with a dreadful school to attend (no air conditioning, sometimes no electricity, no academically reliable books) headed up by teachers who know almost nothing about the subjects they teach, with English teachers who can barely speak English, with little cultural motivation to improve my knowledge base and with no suitable place to study and improve myself even if I did wish to do so  - I very much doubt that I would be in the overall (relatively) happy situation I enjoy today. And we should always remember that there is HUGE wealth in this country - but concentrated into a tiny few hands (including the hands of some of the richest people on the planet - but I won't name any names ...).

It makes me sick to hear comfortable people saying that Thais who are living on a few hundred baht per day should be content with their lot and not ask for more.

Charles Dickens (of Oliver Twist fame) must be turning in his grave!

You summed it up well.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, starky said:

It's all relative to the cost of living now init.

This shows the highest minimum  wages paid in the top 5 cities in USA.   And believe me I doubt it offers any luxury for those stuck in that dead end race.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/080515/top-5-us-cities-highest-minimum-wage.asp

• Like 1

The term "minimum wage" is used however from what I've observed it is effectively the full wage paid workers. How many average Thais make more than this? Companies are also pushing the daily working hours to 9+ for this wage. There is no overtime for the 6th day worked which is a disgrace.

I've long wondered how Thai's survive on this low low wage. I guess they don't shop in any retail stores. Hell a meal costs a/b one hour of work. I wonder if this isn't some nefarious plan to have girls work on their backs? 

• Like 2

I used to be grimly amused by the comments made by Thai males drinking Lao Kao at a mom'n'pop store outside a hardware distribution centre near where I lived.

They watched the Burmese workers going in-I could tell that they were Burmese because they spoke English-took another dram and proudly proclaimed..."who wants to work for 300 baht a day?"

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Haha 2