Have you just woken up? Pattaya police and district office raid more illegal hotels

webfact

Have you just woken up? Pattaya police and district office raid more illegal hotels

31582769_2093164414288352_2528070170501447680_n.jpg

Picture: We Love Pattaya

We Love Pattaya reported that Pattaya station chief Pol Col Apichai Krobpetch along with tourist police and local officials raided a further 10 properties in Sai 2 and Sai 3 and Pratumnak Hill.

There had been reports that the premises were operating daily, weekly and monthly rents without licenses.

But jaded posters on Facebook asked if the authorities had just woken up - it was common knowledge, they said, that many hotels in Pattaya did not have a licence to operate.

We Love Pattaya said that staff were taken in to the station.

While 77Jowo reporting on the same story posed the question in their headline:

"They were raided before but they are still open! How come?"

Both stories gave the excuse for the raids that such illegal establishments did not keep proper records of visitors making it possible that criminal elements could be using them as bases.

Sources: We Love Pattaya, 77Jowo

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-02

1 hour ago, webfact said:

But jaded posters on Facebook asked if the authorities had just woken up - it was common knowledge, they said, that many hotels in Pattaya did not have a licence to operate.

So, ok then. That makes it all legal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Both stories gave the excuse for the raids that such illegal establishments did not keep proper records of visitors making it possible that criminal elements could be using them as bases.

yup, as evidenced by the picture...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, manarak said:

as far as I know from some hotel owners, the authorities are not being cooperative in *delivering* hotel licenses. some hotels have been on the waiting list with a valid application for over 10 years. I have been told officials were waiting for *something* before they can issue the license.

maybe that is a more important matter for police to investigate?

Probably they enclosed the wrong application fee. Wrong number of zeros or something. It happens.

Just now, worgeordie said:

My daughter worked at a new hotel,the local authorities wanted tea money, 

more like champagne money ,to issue the licence,the owner was reluctant

to do that,and every i think it was week,maybe month,someone would come

to hotel,eat at restaurant,gratis, and collect the "fine", things were negotiated

2 years later and the licence was issued, expect the same happens all over.

regards Worgeordie

2 years was rather the fast route !

but I consider checking hotel licenses when the issuing process doesn't work as it should very cynical.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, manarak said:

as far as I know from some hotel owners, the authorities are not being cooperative in *delivering* hotel licenses. some hotels have been on the waiting list with a valid application for over 10 years. I have been told officials were waiting for *something* before they can issue the license.

maybe that is a more important matter for police to investigate?

I believe it is BS!!! The city need the license money and the hotel taxes.

Why this hotel owners not make it public and report it to the press? If they apply in the public and not get it they can make problem. But if you not have the needed licenses  you not must pay the proper TAX!!! Maybe this is the reason!!!

Or they not have the required equipment & staff. More infos for apply a hotel license:   https://pugnatorius.com/hotel-license/

Edited by snowgard

53 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

My daughter worked at a new hotel,the local authorities wanted tea money, 

more like champagne money ,to issue the licence,the owner was reluctant

to do that,and every i think it was week,maybe month,someone would come

to hotel,eat at restaurant,gratis, and collect the "fine", things were negotiated

2 years later and the licence was issued, expect the same happens all over.

regards Worgeordie

Just part of the culture that Thais are so proud of.

• Haha 2

A morning trip to the breakfast buffet at the Shangri-La Hotel in Bangkok will give the visitor the pleasure to see daily some top boys decked in medals and shiny golden wings on their uniforms seated and enjoying the breakfast buffet.  :welcomeani:

Other observations in hotel taverns, bars in Bangkok Sukhumvit area regularly reveal the presence of police officers in uniform enjoying drinks and who are visibly present for "official business". :cheesy:

Why not start looking deeper into the hotel scams and corruption issues ? :ph34r:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, snowgard said:

I believe it is BS!!! The city need the license money and the hotel taxes.

Why this hotel owners not make it public and report it to the press? If they apply in the public and not get it they can make problem. But if you not have the needed licenses  you not must pay the proper TAX!!! Maybe this is the reason!!!

Or they not have the required equipment & staff. More infos for apply a hotel license:   https://pugnatorius.com/hotel-license/

Actually it's not BS, the majority of hotels, find it difficult to get their hotel licensed, just because the issuing party is reluctant in case of no "bonus" issued to them. some cities, requests of bonuses are exceeding ten's of millions, and thus the smaller or not connected hotels have no chance to get this license, ever. I have been in the Thai hotel business for 20 years and its methods of obtaining the licenses have never changed, trust me to say, that it is really a though job to get the license approved. often that's why hotels will rather pay the brown envelops or donut boxes.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sadanava said:

Actually it's not BS, the majority of hotels, find it difficult to get their hotel licensed, just because the issuing party is reluctant in case of no "bonus" issued to them. some cities, requests of bonuses are exceeding ten's of millions, and thus the smaller or not connected hotels have no chance to get this license, ever. I have been in the Thai hotel business for 20 years and its methods of obtaining the licenses have never changed, trust me to say, that it is really a though job to get the license approved. often that's why hotels will rather pay the brown envelops or donut boxes.

And the Hoteliers & Thai Hotels Association don't do something against it? Unbelievable!!!

Edited by snowgard

I go along to some extent with you snowgard.

Having been very involved, often the authorities need an upgrade of fire equipment, waste water disposal in particular grease traps, reversing a fire door blah , blah & it is the owners that cannot be bothered to comply

so the licence laps & then they get all upset when they get challenged.

The local authorities need the licence monies to attempt to run the city

An almost good excuse. 

44 minutes ago, scorecard said:

No, the hotel owners / operators should comply with all the laws relating to operating hotels. Simple.

Oh, dear! Do I have to put up a sign next to the message: "Do mind, this is a sarcastic comment, and it is supposed to be read and looked upon like that" ?