UK Car Rental

I thought I'd drop icarhireinsurance a note regarding not providing cover for residents of Thailand, and other countries, this is their reply:

"Thank you for your email.
Unfortunately this is due to a recent underwriting change; as you are a resident of a country outside of the EEA, you would not be eligible to purchase a policy from us at this time. Our policies are decided by residency and not nationality.
We hope to be able to offer our policies to residents outside of the EEA in the near future."

On 5/6/2018 at 4:16 PM, KittenKong said:

I have never claimed on any type of insurance in my entire life. But I would rather have insurance and not need it than need it and not have it. So I have it.

Earlier you said 'well worth having for 35 quid'. How do you know until you actually make a claim.......not just this, ANY insurance policy?

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

I thought I'd drop icarhireinsurance a note regarding not providing cover for residents of Thailand, and other countries, this is their reply:

"Thank you for your email.
Unfortunately this is due to a recent underwriting change; as you are a resident of a country outside of the EEA, you would not be eligible to purchase a policy from us at this time. Our policies are decided by residency and not nationality.
We hope to be able to offer our policies to residents outside of the EEA in the near future."

I trawled through all the companies offering excess insurance, and all of them said must be UK resident. So that's what I told ém, live with me brother, where my UK license is registered anyway.

Edited by wgdanson
14 hours ago, wgdanson said:

I trawled through all the companies offering excess insurance, and all of them said must be UK resident. So that's what I told ém, live with me brother, where my UK license is registered anyway.

And, as I asked before, I assume your credit card you used to pay your insurance premium, book your car hire and leave with the car hire company as a deposit, is also registered at your brothers address?

Did your trawl not find "worldwideinsure" that simoh1490 provided the link for who will cover Thai residents, albeit at a price?  

If the underwriters check your passport (which they are entitled to do) they will probably declare the cover invalid.

• Like 2

Earlier you said 'well worth having for 35 quid'. How do you know until you actually make a claim.......not just this, ANY insurance policy?

You are mostly paying for peace of mind, as with any insurance. Though I do check before buying that reviews about the company dont all say "they never pay up".

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

If the underwriters check your passport (which they are entitled to do) they will probably declare the cover invalid.

I live with my brother, never had a passport your honour.