What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

R.I.P.D (Rest in Peace Department). A police department of dead officers who protect Earth from monsters and the dead. Based on a comic book.

This movie has a lot of similarities to Men In Black, but is not as good. Some good use of sfx, but it kind of gets boring after a while. The last 20 minutes dragged on. GF fell asleep, I started flicking through messages on the phone.

if you have not seen the movie "Emperor" it is worth a look as reported earlier in this thread. Sort of a love story set in Japan during the time that the USA was governing it after WW2. The history is a lot more interesting than the love story. I watched it last night and thought that it was decent. I have always been interested in Japan and what took place in Japan during that time period.

• Like 2

So I just finished "Hansel & Gretel get baked", it's pretty low on the thought provocation meter but funny stupid in a way, think along the lines of the "Scary Movie" franchise without the obvious stereotypes to get the picture..

Was expecting to see a smoking hot svelte Lara Flynn Boyle but damn she's put on the pounds, eating disorder my arse!

Onto catching up on Suits, Ray Donovan and Burn Notice...

All 3 seem to be getting better and I'm liking where their story lines are going...

• Like 1

So with US TV on a seemingly mid season hiatus, I was browsing the itunes store to see what was coming up in the movie world...

Came across "peeples" watched the preview and thought, meh, I'll give it a whirl and see what happens, some attractive african american women starring so why not...

Haha... What a pisser... It's basically a movie about a boy and a girl and that awkward situation of meeting the parents for the first time... But with a twist... Good laugh if you've experienced this situation before - well hopefully not the "twist" part hahaha... Only a 3.9 IMDB rating, but I'd go a 6 at least...

• Like 1

Gang, I'll start off by saying that this 7 part series won't be everyone's cup of tea.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2103085/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

But if you like a dark brooding, well written drama, it may well be.

Written and directed by Jane Campion, it's about a 12 year old pregnant girl
who tries to commit suicide and then after being rescued, suddenly disappears.

A dogged detective who refuses to give up the search for her and in doing so finds
herself in knee-deep small town secrets.

IMDB gives this a 7.5 whereas I would rate it an 8.5.

Highly recommended.

• Like 1

Gang, I'll start off by saying that this 7 part series won't be everyone's cup of tea.

A dogged detective who refuses to give up the search for her and in doing so finds

Highly recommended.

New Zealand Series?

Highly recommended.

New Zealand Series?

Yep

Set in NZ and the scenery is stunning.

Has a host of Aussie actors as well.

I think it would appeal to Aussies and our Kiwi's friends

maybe more than others.

Here are some TV series to watch out for in the coming months

Ironside

The Blacklist

Rake (US Version based on the AUstralian series)

Welcome to the Family

We Are Men

The Crazy Ones

Mind Games

The 100

The tomorrow People

Lucky 7

Thanks for the update on the TV series.

A good site for them is www.tv.com

Just picked up Banshee which I'm looking forward to.

BTW, I loved Rake, Richard Roxburgh is hilarious.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

The Iceman

I've marked this one pretty hard as I've perhaps unfairly compared it to the book by Philip Carlo
Which was exceptional.

Based on the life of Richard Kuklinski who was a contract killer for the mob.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1491044/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

It stars the excellent Michael Shannon, but as Kuklinski was 6ft 5inches and over 300 pounds,
I don't think he really was the right actor for the part.

All in all a fair movie but it could've been so much more.

I'm giving it a 7.

Edited by Will27

The Iceman

I've marked this one pretty hard as I've perhaps unfairly compared it to the book by Philip Carlo

Which was exceptional.

Based on the life of Richard Kuklinski who was a contract killer for the mob.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1491044/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

It stars the excellent Michael Shannon, but as Kuklinski was 6ft 5inches and over 300 pounds,

I don't think he really was the right actor for the part.

All in all a fair movie but it could've been so much more.

I'm giving it a 7.

I agree with what you say re: the movie, but, I'll give it a 5.5

Here are some TV series to watch out for in the coming months

Ironside

The Blacklist

Rake (US Version based on the AUstralian series)

Welcome to the Family

We Are Men

The Crazy Ones

Mind Games

The 100

The tomorrow People

Lucky 7

Thanks for the update on the TV series.

A good site for them is www.tv.com

Just picked up Banshee which I'm looking forward to.

BTW, I loved Rake, Richard Roxburgh is hilarious.

The Australian Rake has some hilarious moments, as you say. I hope the US version can keep the same style of humour and make it work. I only saw the one trailer on Youtube so difficult to judge so far.

There is another season of Rake being made in Australia. Charles Waterstreet, the Barrister who is the basis of the central character , Cleaver Greene, is suing the production company for some of the money it made on the US deal

Picked up "The Expatriate" to view tonight... Bit of a "burn notice" type scenario based movie... Aaron Eckhardt taking the lead... And that chick from the last Bond movie... Which is pretty much the reason for watching it hahaha...

In TV land, going to see what this "Whitechapel" series is all about, into it's 4th Season now. Seems like a british CSI style from what I've read... If it's worth watching I'll get the first 3 series and tuck in for a marathon over the weekend - saturday and sunday of course, as the Swans play friday night hahaha...

Picked up "The Expatriate" to view tonight... Bit of a "burn notice" type scenario based movie... Aaron Eckhardt taking the lead... And that chick from the last Bond movie... Which is pretty much the reason for watching it hahaha...

In TV land, going to see what this "Whitechapel" series is all about, into it's 4th Season now. Seems like a british CSI style from what I've read... If it's worth watching I'll get the first 3 series and tuck in for a marathon over the weekend - saturday and sunday of course, as the Swans play friday night hahaha...

Good game on Saturday I hear

PS. The Expatriate is also known as Erased

P.P.S. Be interested what you think about whitechapel. I didn't overly take to it myself. have not seen series 4

Edited by BookMan

So with US TV on a seemingly mid season hiatus, I was browsing the itunes store to see what was coming up in the movie world...

Came across "peeples" watched the preview and thought, meh, I'll give it a whirl and see what happens, some attractive african american women starring so why not...

Haha... What a pisser... It's basically a movie about a boy and a girl and that awkward situation of meeting the parents for the first time... But with a twist... Good laugh if you've experienced this situation before - well hopefully not the "twist" part hahaha... Only a 3.9 IMDB rating, but I'd go a 6 at least...

Watched Peeples tonight. Id agree with a 6. Had some funny bits in it. General type comedy that is easy to watch

• Like 1

PS. The Expatriate is also known as Erased

P.P.S. Be interested what you think about whitechapel. I didn't overly take to it myself. have not seen series 4

I thought Whitechapel was fair to good, that's about all though.

• Like 1

This one is based on the true story of the black baseball player
Jackie Robinson who was signed by the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1946.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0453562/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

It takes you through the racial hostility he and his wife had to endure on and off the field.

Look out for Harrison Ford who plays the owner who signed him.

I enjoyed this one and found it quite uplifting.

I'd give it a 7.5.

• Like 1

This one is based on the true story of the black baseball player

Jackie Robinson who was signed by the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1946.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0453562/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

It takes you through the racial hostility he and his wife had to endure on and off the field.

Look out for Harrison Ford who plays the owner who signed him.

I enjoyed this one and found it quite uplifting.

I'd give it a 7.5.

As a rule I enjoy these true life sporting hero makes good movies.

I liked this but it was a bit too airbrushed, scriptwise, in parts for me.

I give it a 6.

So got through the 1st episode of the 4th season of Whitechapel...

Hmmm... interesting... Bit of cold war thrown in with a bit of witch craft... Could be interesting...

Burn Notice is at it's summer end... Typical bastards... :P

Picked up The East (not sure what to make of this yet from the preview, seems interesting) and The Bling Ring (which I only picked up because of Emma Watson hahaha)

So got through the 1st episode of the 4th season of Whitechapel...

Hmmm... interesting... Bit of cold war thrown in with a bit of witch craft... Could be interesting...

Burn Notice is at it's summer end... Typical bastards... tongue.png

Picked up The East (not sure what to make of this yet from the preview, seems interesting) and The Bling Ring (which I only picked up because of Emma Watson hahaha)

The East is okay GS. (5.5 out of 10 from me). I actually watched it last night and finished it today tongue.png.

Bling Ring should be okay I hope. Ill have to queue that one up.

• Like 1