Dangerous Snake Update

DumbFalang

Like me, I'm sure many of you often come across those cute little snakes with the red neck that the locals told you was not dangerous and to leave alone. Well, it turns out that after a re-evaluation of their bite and venom, the red-necked keelback is actually dangerous. I have lived happily with these guys in my garden for years and we just work around each other. This latest update has presented me with a dilemma as I never kill snakes - nor do I want to. The problem is, my worker identifies and kills the poisonous ones - or any that he doesn't recognize. His wife and young daughter spend a lot of time in my garden/farm and so I guess I don't really have any other option other than to tell them. I'm not happy that they will probably start killing the snakes, but what can you do?

Image result for red-necked keelback

• Like 1

There is a FaceBook page called Snakes of Pattaya, but people from different regions have posted on there, take a pic, post it and within minutes someone will advise you as to the danger or otherwise of the snake, I think that there may well be other sites relating to your neck of the woods, have a search and find out, much better than killing an innocent harmless snake eh :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I kill all snakes in our garden. Better safe than sorry.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Cave man behaviour. Not much sign of intelligence and respect for the creatures.
The dog further down in this thread was very likely killed because he either attacked the snake or played with her.
I'm quite sure a human or children bitten by a snake would just run away as fast as they can.
Written by someone who has been bitten by snakes several times already and I know how to differentiate between the dangerous ones.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CLW said:

Cave man behaviour. Not much sign of intelligence and respect for the creatures.
The dog further down in this thread was very likely killed because he either attacked the snake or played with her.
I'm quite sure a human or children bitten by a snake would just run away as fast as they can.
Written by someone who has been bitten by snakes several times already and I know how to differentiate between the dangerous ones.

So you expect people who have children and pets at home to just let them get bitten?

With all due respect, that's just craziness.

• Like 2

Well at least us cave men our kids and our pets are still alive and not withered away because of the the mentality that you must love all gods creatures while they bite you to death

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

On 5/5/2018 at 10:06 AM, Crossy said:

https://www.thailandsnakes.com/venomous/rear-fanged/red-necked-keelback-venomous-mildly-dangerous/

From the above site:-

Since they are rear-fanged the chances of getting a good bite are fairly slim, leave well alone and everyone will be fine (including the snake).

Red is in nature a warning sign just as yellow and black is.

Blue is not a food color too and is also danger color.

That is a general rule of thumb.

And in the north part of the globe also with animals can be dangerous (e.g. polar bear)

And of course we have the green viper or yellow spider dangerous.

In general red yellow black or very dark is dangerous

OP says he has lived with these snakes on his property for YEARS and NO problems.

I think that if he or his family suddenly decide to go on some snake hunt (or start chasing down and attacking any snakes they see) then this is were the chances are getting bitten increase!

Better just leave them alone.

Also, this species of snake is no real danger to humans.  Its none aggressive, rarely bites (unless handled - picked up roughly), and even a bite is unlikely to be dangerous.. because it's a rear fanged snake with a small mouth... so virtually impossible for it to be physically able to get the fangs into our flesh.  

Edited by jak2002003
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, keithpa said:

Has everybody forgotten that if not for the snake, we would all still be living in the garden of Eden. Kill em all.

I really hope you are joking here.

I found it funny that (in that garden of Eden story) God punishes humans with all sorts of nasty things.. and eternal suffering, hell, women die in childbirth, banishment form paradise  etc.. but the snakes is only punished by God telling it it has so crawl on its belly evermore.... I mean, it must have been crawling on its belly already if it was a SNAKE in the first place. lol.

Seriously though, snakes are part of nature and the ecosystem.  They are there to control rodents.  If you got rid of the snakes the place would be infested with rats.  Even the cobras main diet is other dangerous snakes... so killing cobra will increase the number of other just as harmful snakes in the area.  I would rather have one cobra on my land than hundreds of other dangerous snakes. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, i claudius said:

Well at least us cave men our kids and our pets are still alive and not withered away because of the the mentality that you must love all gods creatures while they bite you to death

I'm a stone cold atheist.  :stoner:

• Haha 1

It became policy in Goa(India) to kill all the snakes as they frightened the tourists.  The upshot was a massive increase in the rat population and now snakes aren't killed anymore - just put into a remote area where they can survive.

We had a snake underneath the house - apparently it was a cobra - it was left alone, all the doors/windows closed and a few hours later it slithered off to the woods behind the house.

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

I really hope you are joking here.

I found it funny that (in that garden of Eden story) God punishes humans with all sorts of nasty things.. and eternal suffering, hell, women die in childbirth, banishment form paradise  etc.. but the snakes is only punished by God telling it it has so crawl on its belly evermore.... I mean, it must have been crawling on its belly already if it was a SNAKE in the first place. lol.

Well it depends upon whether the snake was possessed by Satan and therefore not the real bad guy, or if you think the snake came up with the idea to con Eve all on his own (unlikely right?). There is also a further warning that the snake will eventually have his head stomped by the offspring of Eve. Most Christians reads this to be Satan will be crushed by Jesus. So that lends credence to the theory the snake was simply a vessel used by Satan. In which case it was Satan being condemned to crawl about for eternity eating dust. Which might have been somewhat literal as we are not told the condition or appearance of Satan before and after the fall.

It is also possible that snakes before the fall had legs, which would lend support for the curse being on the actual snake. But then there is a paradox that all types of snakes were punished for the actions of the one snake.  Which would represent a punishment on many subfamilies of reptiles but far from all of them.

I am still looking in to it.

Caring about snakes more than kids lives. Something at bit smelly with this section of the population. There are plenty of places for snakes to be where there are no people around. Any of you ever done a risk assessment? Of course not. Elimination it the first step.

Edited by Goanna
  • Like 1

Caring about snakes more than kids lives. Something at bit smelly with this section of the population. There are plenty of places for snakes to be where there are no people around. Any of you ever done a risk assessment? Of course not. Elimination it the first step.
You can eliminate the risk by capture and release them. No need to kill
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Well it depends upon whether the snake was possessed by Satan and therefore not the real bad guy, or if you think the snake came up with the idea to con Eve all on his own (unlikely right?). There is also a further warning that the snake will eventually have his head stomped by the offspring of Eve. Most Christians reads this to be Satan will be crushed by Jesus. So that lends credence to the theory the snake was simply a vessel used by Satan. In which case it was Satan being condemned to crawl about for eternity eating dust. Which might have been somewhat literal as we are not told the condition or appearance of Satan before and after the fall.

It is also possible that snakes before the fall had legs, which would lend support for the curse being on the actual snake. But then there is a paradox that all types of snakes were punished for the actions of the one snake.  Which would represent a punishment on many subfamilies of reptiles but far from all of them.

I am still looking in to it.

better to just forget about it.  A snake is a snake... a reptile.  Its not a little devil costume out to get you.