Box Wine

apetryxx

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of a sudden box wine, especially white has disappeared or skyrocketed in price. Does anybody know why?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The government in their wisdom changed the way wine is taxed. From the amount of alcohol per volume to the amount of wine in the container. This became in force April 1st. Hence the extortionate price for a cask of wine. Another example of shooting themselves in the foot.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I know it is not wine, but look up how to make turbo cider and brew your own ready to drink in 3-5 days, and be very tasty and quite strong. Even in Australia we make it for around $1-2 a litre.

Basically get apple juice or similar (pasteurised), add some sugar and yeast (champagne or cider yeast available on-line is best but granulated bread yeast will do at a pinch), warm dark place for 3-5 days with the lid not on too tight and then in the fridge to let the yeast settle. 

1 minute ago, impishbynature said:

I know it is not wine, but look up how to make turbo cider and brew your own ready to drink in 3-5 days, and be very tasty and quite strong. Even in Australia we make it for around $1-2 a litre.

Basically get apple juice or similar (pasteurised), add some sugar and yeast (champagne or cider yeast available on-line is best but granulated bread yeast will do at a pinch), warm dark place for 3-5 days with the lid not on too tight and then in the fridge to let the yeast settle. 

You can't substitute cider for wine. If I wanted cheap hooch I'd drink lao khao.

Makro Chiang Rai and Tops Chiang Rai no longer has box wine. Tops has some box beer. Also, I am told that across the border in Mae Sai they have no box wine. God only knows what the crazies are up to. I will try some Lao Khao with a lot of grape juice on my wife and will let you know if it works. After the first glass I think she will like it. 420% tax on wine is not enough.

5 minutes ago, DonaldBattles said:

Makro Chiang Rai and Tops Chiang Rai no longer has box wine. Tops has some box beer. Also, I am told that across the border in Mae Sai they have no box wine. God only knows what the crazies are up to. I will try some Lao Khao with a lot of grape juice on my wife and will let you know if it works. After the first glass I think she will like it. 420% tax on wine is not enough.

Lots of info on this on the Montclair red wine and Montclair wine threads...……..along with a description of the tax changes!

On 5/5/2018 at 7:42 AM, apetryxx said:

All of a sudden box wine, especially white has disappeared or skyrocketed in price. Does anybody know why?

It's been discussed in another thread a while ago, where it was stated to be due to the government has changed the taxation.

Where I live, I saw that Mount Clair white (fruit) wine is back in 3-liter cartons (only) for 995 baht a piece in Makro; seem like new stock at new price. Both Makro and Tesco-Lotus still has quite a lot of old stock of Mount Clair red wine, whilst almost all other boxed wine has disappeared, apart from a few (very) dry red, which presumably nobody wants, as they they have been boring alone on the shelf for a couple of month...:smile:

2 hours ago, DonaldBattles said:

Just bought the last 3 boxes at Makro, Chiang Mai. No more 5 litre Mont clair boxes for around 1000 baht. Now the Mont Clare 3 litre box costs about the same...when you can find it.

3 hours ago, DonaldBattles said:

I will try some Lao Khao with a lot of grape juice on my wife

May I suggest giving her a bit of cock

Black or Red Cock Lao Khao that is. Around 160 baht a bottle and quite palatable

P.S.

The Red Cock is much smoother

12 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I don't buy or drink wine in Thailand. I bring one bottle of real wine from Australia every six months, and share it with friends.

I buy real Aussie wine here and drink it every day, and sometimes share with friends at a local restaurant...……..couldn't do without it!

12 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Are they any good boxed wines? A guy at work recommended African something, a white, but I wasn't impressed - tasty bit too fruity. Any boxed white you can recommend?

Well they've all got fruit juice added to them, so much of  a muchness IMO, all a question of taste/preference...……..so only solution is to keep sampling!

On 5/6/2018 at 9:41 PM, AliasJohn said:

The government in their wisdom

Government, wisdom - a brilliant example of an oxymoron.  :thumbsup:

Hike the tax, (Thai 1.0 thinking disguised as Thai 4.0) produces less sales and therefore Government get less tax. Thailand's version of rocket science? :whistling:

15 hours ago, giddyup said:

The government seems to be using the same logic as the bar owner who has a shortage of customers, just jack up the prices.

Yup, even happened where I live up here. Before the last tax rise I was paying 69 for a Chang , the following week it went up to 89 , a Singha is now 99B.

A bottle of Sangsom export is 180B so I now eat out take that along ,with coke and ice and with kaupad to eat , bin is 89B.  There can't be many locals that can afford 89B for a chang , I can't since Brexit was announced.

On-line Thai home brew shops have sprung up in the last few years and last I checked, about a year ago, you can buy everything  you need to brew quite a wide variety of beers. Of course beer is no substitute for wine, but as most home brew shops back home also get into home brew wine, perhaps there will now be enough demand for that in Thailand.

Archived