Applying for US Social Security benefits at Manila FBU

You don't have to set up a MySSA account in order to apply to start benefits online.  And yes, for a simple application, it is the best way to start.  You'll still need to have a phone conversation with Manila, but they'll have the information that you input online in front of them so there is less possibility of them messing up and recording incorrect information during a phone conversation; mostly they just confirm what you've already input.  Makes the phone conversation go very smoothly.  I've done this twice now for people with physical limitations that I've helped to apply for SS and plan to use it for myself when I apply in a year or so.  It was less stressful for the applicants to have a conversation with me in person while I filled out the form online rather than attempting a cold phone conversation with time-pressure, poor hearing, someone who wasn't a native English speaker on the other end of the phone, etc. to get the application started. 

12 minutes ago, NancyL said:

You don't have to set up a MySSA account in order to apply to start benefits online.  And yes, for a simple application, it is the best way to start.  You'll still need to have a phone conversation with Manila, but they'll have the information that you input online in front of them so there is less possibility of them messing up and recording incorrect information during a phone conversation; mostly they just confirm what you've already input.  Makes the phone conversation go very smoothly.  I've done this twice now for people with physical limitations that I've helped to apply for SS and plan to use it for myself when I apply in a year or so.  It was less stressful for the applicants to have a conversation with me in person while I filled out the form online rather than attempting a cold phone conversation with time-pressure, poor hearing, someone who wasn't a native English speaker on the other end of the phone, etc. to get the application started. 

True. You don't need to have a MySSA account at all.

But I wanted one to view my status online rather than rely on the now notorious exigencies of trying to find out what's happening through other means.

I agree doing the benefits application online is the best way to apply for a simple application. 

I do NOT AGREE that you still (in all cases anyway) need an interview with Manila!

Because I recently did this, and even though I assumed that I did need such an interview, even though I emailed Manila requesting it (NEVER ANY REPLY WHATSOEVER even on followup second emai), it turned out my benefits started to be paid (date correctly indicated on MySSA) on the stated date on MySSA without any interview by anybody (Manila or Baltimore).

Also no demand for I.D. documents at all. (Surprised me.)

I respect what you are saying reflects your greater experience than mine and perhaps reflects what people should generally expect.  However, my experience is very recent. So I guess it's another case of … IT DEPENDS!

Edited by Jingthing
17 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

True. You don't need to have a MySSA account at all.

But I wanted one to view my status online rather than rely on the now notorious exigencies of trying to find out what's happening through other means.

I agree doing the benefits application online is the best way to apply for a simple application. 

I do NOT AGREE that you still (in all cases anyway) need an interview with Manila!

Because I recently did this, and even though I assumed that I did need such an interview, even though I emailed Manila requesting it (NEVER ANY REPLY WHATSOEVER even on followup second emai), it turned out my benefits started to be paid (date correctly indicated on MySSA) on the stated date on MySSA without any interview by anybody (Manila or Baltimore).

Also no demand for I.D. documents at all. (Surprised me.)

I respect what you are saying reflects your greater experience than mine and perhaps reflects what people should generally expect.  However, my experience is very recent. So I guess it's another case of … IT DEPENDS!

Maybe an interview with Manila isn't needed, but it happened with the two cases I assisted.  And yes, no I.D. documents were requested, but the cases were very "clean" in that both were U.S. born, not working at the time, unmarried or long-divorced (with document available if asked), no other complicating employment like U.S. railroad, state gov't teaching, etc. I expect my own application will be equally as easy since I'm U.S. born, still on my starter husband and have been receiving an earnings statement from SSA each year that truly reflects my earnings history, so their records for me are correct. 

• 4 weeks later...

For Nancy L,  

Just a question because there are conflicting answers... First, according to SS Manila and the SS website, you can work and collect benefits if you are working less than 45 hours per month....  YES... Second and the conflicting, according to WWW sources, you can still work if you make less that 17K per year...  afterward there is the 2 for 1 penalty.

In my situation, I still work part-time at 44 hours per month and will end it mid 2019.   I believe the situation where you need the employer to verify you work less than 45 hour per month is the best documentation submission route.  Your Comments. Thank you.

On 10/21/2018 at 9:30 AM, NancyL said:

Maybe an interview with Manila isn't needed, but it happened with the two cases I assisted.  And yes, no I.D. documents were requested, but the cases were very "clean" in that both were U.S. born, not working at the time, unmarried or long-divorced (with document available if asked), no other complicating employment like U.S. railroad, state gov't teaching, etc. I expect my own application will be equally as easy since I'm U.S. born, still on my starter husband and have been receiving an earnings statement from SSA each year that truly reflects my earnings history, so their records for me are correct. 

Well I will tell you from experience the interview with Social Security is mandatory, no matter where you apply 

I applied online and my application was forwarded to my regional SS office in Scranton , PA. (I have a permanent US address) They emailed me with a time for the call and they called me on my MagiicJack.  The whole purpose of the call must be a legal requirement, I think,  since all it consisted of was the CSR repeating my information and giving me alternative dates and amounts that would impact my date to start of Social Security payments.  The amounts were just a couple of dollars difference between the date options offered me.  I opted to go with the start date I had put on my application and the call ended 

Well I will tell you from experience the interview with Social Security is mandatory, no matter where you apply 

I applied online and my application was forwarded to my regional SS office in Scranton , PA. (I have a permanent US address) They emailed me with a time for the call and they called me on my MagiicJack.  The whole purpose of the call must be a legal requirement, I think,  since all it consisted of was the CSR repeating my information and giving me alternative dates and amounts that would impact my date to start of Social Security payments.  The amounts were just a couple of dollars difference between the date options offered me.  I opted to go with the start date I had put on my application and the call ended 
No it is not always required. I had none.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2018 at 12:48 PM, Pib said:

You will not get copies back; they only mail back originals. I thought maybe you ended up mailing in the original.

Today, Kerry Delivery pulled up in the driveway & handed me a UPS Express Envelope. Contained therein

was the certified copy of my birth certificate. The letter that came with it was written October 1, 2018 (???) and came from Baltimore.

7 hours ago, Tagaa said:

Today, Kerry Delivery pulled up in the driveway & handed me a UPS Express Envelope. Contained therein

was the certified copy of my birth certificate. The letter that came with it was written October 1, 2018 (???) and came from Baltimore.

I got an letter from Baltimore SSA 29 days after the date on the letter....and the letter was sent to my military APO address.  When family/friends mail me something 1st class mail it arrives in 7 to 10 days.   Baltimore must ship via slow boat.

• 4 months later...
On 4/3/2019 at 3:00 PM, Restituto DIAZ Barraquias said:

How to apply SSN? Under ssa24? And how to apply SSN? Under ssa2000 form you I am already applied at SSA it was denied for reason none of SSN none benefits from fbu cuevas Kristen Manila and madam Dee Jocelyn Ty denied for The reason, I forward to VA director denied from [email protected]

Sorry, I am having trouble understanding your question and your situation.

Are you saying you have never had a Social Security Number and want to know how to get one?

Are you a US citizen or widow (legally married) of a US citizen?  Or divorced from a US citizen? Are you a green card holder? Did you ever reside in the US ?

It is impossible to apply for SS benefits if you do not have an SS number. If you are the widow or divorcee of a US citizen trying to apply for survivor or ex-spouse benefits you need to know what your late/ex husband's SSN was. 

US citizens use their SSN constantly, it will have been entered on all his tax returns among other things. And he will have had a SS card somewhere.

Survivor benefit for spouses are due when you yourself are aged at least 60 (50 if you are disabled) or if you have a child by  the US spouse who is aged less than 16 years. In addition you must either:

- have US permanent residence (green card) OR

- have been admitted to the US under a family visa (Section 203(a)(7) of the Immigration and Nationality Act) before 1980  OR been paroled into the United States under Section 212(d)(5) of the INA for a period of at least one year

In addition if, as it sounds like, you are now living outside the US you need to have lived in the US for at least 5 years

Rukles are the same for an ex-spouse except that you get only half your spouse's SS amount and yo uhave to be 65 for that.

If you are living outside the US now and did not live in the US at least 5 years then to my understanding you may not be eligible for spousal benefits. But you might want to consult an immigration attorney to be sure.

If you do meet these requirements then the issue is to track down your late  or ex husbands SSN.

On 6/9/2018 at 6:58 AM, gk10002000 said:
  • What paperwork is involved?  I thought one could just go online to the SSA website ( I do have an account as I am not many months away from my minimum age of62).  I can one must sign or notarize something.  But If I do all my applying from inside the USA is it easy/easier?  I have not heard from anybody I know that is on social that it was particularly difficult if all done inside the USA.  I looked at the website for applying and there was a short checklist of information to gather in advance, last two years work history, and a few other things.  I didn't look at the online application but the site said shouldn't take too many minutes.

I applied here in Thailand on line 3 months before my 62nd birthday took less than 10 mins. Got a letter letting me know my first deposit would be which was into a US Bank. could not believe just how easy it was. No calls to Manila no documents to be signed

Moi has helped two individuals plus myself get their SS funds squared-away through Manila and in every case a telephone interview was required.

The whole process is very straightforward.  Get Bangkok Bank lined out first with a Direct Deposit account.  Have them channel the paperwork to Manila and the 'caseworker' and forward to Baltimore.

Sir/madam,

Correction I am not spouse I am dependent son of wwII veterans due to my parents both denied from VA for a reason none SSN? I am applicants under survivor benefits Payable title II of social security act and I am also applicants for special veterans benefits for certain veterans it is Payable of title IIv of social security act SSA 2000 I am asking you what is veterans claim number ? Andfor social security number it is possible the VA claim number is social security number? Applying this already at SSA Manila no reply I forward to VA office for confirmation of denied because this office told us I am entitlement of social security benefits under I mentioned above please advise

1 hour ago, Restituto DIAZ Barraquias said:

Sir/madam,

Correction I am not spouse I am dependent son of wwII veterans due to my parents both denied from VA for a reason none SSN? I am applicants under survivor benefits Payable title II of social security act and I am also applicants for special veterans benefits for certain veterans it is Payable of title IIv of social security act SSA 2000 I am asking you what is veterans claim number ? Andfor social security number it is possible the VA claim number is social security number? Applying this already at SSA Manila no reply I forward to VA office for confirmation of denied because this office told us I am entitlement of social security benefits under I mentioned above please advise

1. Were both your parents US citizens?

2. How is it possible they did nto have SSNs?

3.How old are you?

4, Are you disabled? If so how/to what extent?

As far as I know, dependent children are eligible for survivor benefits only up to the age of 18 years.  If your parents were both WWII veterans you must be much older than that. 

I don't know anything about VA benefits but I would be surprised if an adult child is entitled to anything.

2 hours ago, Restituto DIAZ Barraquias said:

Sir/madam,

I expect when you say your parents did not have SSN that is because they were Filipino citizens who fought with/aided American troops during WWII?  If so, you definitely need to talk to the Manila VA and SSA Offices for more guidance as special rules apply in such a case.

https://www.va.gov/centerforminorityveterans/fvec.asp

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0500830319