Applying for US Social Security benefits at Manila FBU

On 7/17/2018 at 4:30 PM, jeffandgop said:

While I have yet to receive the letter from the SSA confirming my benefits, I logged onto “my SSA” today to check the status. It now reflects “approved” with my first benefit payment scheduled to start on time in November. I also printed the SSA benefits confirmation letter available as may be required. 

If you are able to log onto mySSA, then you input a U.S. mailing address for yourself.  Recently SSA Manila came to Chiang Mai (and also Bangkok) for a very informative meeting.  The speaker said that you cannot use the mySSA feature of the SSA website if you have a foreign address.

He also said you have an obligation to report your new address to SSA if your physical presence changes, i.e. if you're living in Thailand.  Not to do so is fraud.  Realistically, they don't fine you, but you risk having your benefits cut off and it can take months and months to have them reinstated if there is ever a problem, like a piece of mail from SSA directed to whatever address in the U.S. you gave them is returned to them or you fail to respond to a request for information that they send by mail.

Also, he said the 800 number in the U.S.may give out misleading information if they don't realize that you live overseas.  The example he gave is if someone asks if their legally adopted children can receive dependent benefits.  The answer they'll be given is yes, but if the child has never lived in the U.S. oops, that's the wrong answer.  The people handling the 800 number in the U.S. aren't used to answering questions of overseas residents.

Regarding input a "mailing" address in your online account, I have an U.S. APO mailing address and a Bangkok international residential address.  And regardless of what mailing address you may have it's the residential address that determines whether you can do certain things online.  Folks with a U.S. residential address have more options with a SSA online account

In  my online profile it only shows one address and in my case it's the mailing address.  However I can not change that address online.  Under my address is a link that says Update address or phone number...but when clicking it it just gives you a SSA 1800 number to call....no can change address or phone number online.

Ditto for Direct Deposit info....it shows where my Direct Deposit is going and has a link to click to Update your Direct Deposit...like if you wanted to switch banks it going to.  But once again, when clicking the link to update it a screen appears which gives your a 1800 number to call.....once again, no can change online.

But if I had a U.S. residential address on-file instead of my Thailand address I would have been able to make above mentioned changes. 

Yeap, the options available with an SSA online will be a little less if you have a foreign address like in Thailand in comparison to having a U.S. address.

10 hours ago, Pib said:

The Social Security Office at the U.S. Embassy-Manila only advertises their Philippines phone number on their webpage, but they also have a U.S. number.  You are still calling the Manila Embassy it's just to their U.S. number. 

The Manila FBU number I called was: +63 2 301 2000 Ext. 9.

The US number taken from https://www.ssa.gov/foreign/phones.html

(see Applied for Benefits near the bottom of the page): +1 410 965 2356.

The US number almost certainly was not redirecting to the Philippines because it would have been 8pm. there.

3 minutes ago, Chicksaw said:

The Manila FBU number I called was: +63 2 301 2000 Ext. 9.

The US number taken from https://www.ssa.gov/foreign/phones.html

(see Applied for Benefits near the bottom of the page): +1 410 965 2356.

The US number almost certainly was not redirecting to the Philippines because it would have been 8pm. there.

Yea, the 410 number is the Baltimore International Office where all application with foreign addresses go to for final processing after Manila submits them forward.   

I called above Baltimore number just now at 8:30pm Thailand time just to do a test which would have been 9:30am in Baltimore time and person answered after one ring.

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

I called above Baltimore number just now at 8:30pm Thailand time just to do a test which would have been 9:30am in Baltimore time and person answered after one ring.

Terrific! I called a little after 8am, you called 9:30am, and both cases a person answered quickly. So that particular number is good which is a relief.

Calling the US at night here rather than Manila early morning is better for me as I am a late sleeper late riser. Infowise there isn't probably much difference as I guess both access the same system.

1 minute ago, Chicksaw said:

Terrific! I called a little after 8am, you called 9:30am, and both cases a person answered quickly. So that particular number is good which is a relief.

Calling the US at night here rather than Manila early morning is better for me as I am a late sleeper late riser. Infowise there isn't probably much difference as I guess both access the same system.

But if calling Baltimore since they are the ones doing the final processing and determining if any additional document(s) is needed they should be able  to give you more specifics, whereas, Manila might not be able to see as many specifics.

I do know for certain from a couple years ago when I applied if I called the SSA Central 1800 number the only status they could see is a "generic" status from the Baltimore office.....they could not give any details on why an application may be slow in processing.....I had to call the Baltimore Office for that specific info.

If a person has an online SSA account they can also see generic status such as when Manila submitted the application to Baltimore, when Baltimore rec'd it which is usually the next day, and just a generic status such as the application is under review...or if lucky, approved.  Know that for a fact also as I'm helping a person right now who submitted their application via Manila and we looked at her online status this afternoon.

23 hours ago, NancyL said:

The speaker said that you cannot use the mySSA feature of the SSA website if you have a foreign address.

He also said you have an obligation to report your new address to SSA if your physical presence changes, i.e. if you're living in Thailand.  Not to do so is fraud.  Realistically, they don't fine you, but you risk having your benefits cut off and it can take months and months to have them reinstated if there is ever a problem, like a piece of mail from SSA directed to whatever address in the U.S. you gave them is returned to them or you fail to respond to a request for information that they send by mail.

Thanks for this.

Did anyone ask allowing, or did the speaker volunteer any plans for, about allowing those with a foreign address to access myssa in the future?

My guess is that they are reluctant to support the necessary secure two-factor authentication? But I'd be willing to pay for a SecureID card, or U2F-FIDO stick or even Google or MS authenticators.

I am reluctant to be untruthful about my physical residence given the SSA and IRS "know where I live". And I assume you have to use a VPN to access myssa from Thailand?

14 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Thanks for this.

Did anyone ask allowing, or did the speaker volunteer any plans for, about allowing those with a foreign address to access myssa in the future?

My guess is that they are reluctant to support the necessary secure two-factor authentication? But I'd be willing to pay for a SecureID card, or U2F-FIDO stick or even Google or MS authenticators.

I am reluctant to be untruthful about my physical residence given the SSA and IRS "know where I live". And I assume you have to use a VPN to access myssa from Thailand?

His point was that we don't really need to access myssa.  We can simply email Manila.  We can still apply to start SS or Medicare online.  If we need to change our address, request a new SS or Medicare card, just email Manila. He did admit that sometimes you have to resent the email with the subject line "2nd request"  or "not received response"  I think it helps to keep your 2nd and 3rd requests cordial, based on some local Americans I've tried to assist who have become quite foul to them in emails and thus, been ignored.

No, there are no plan to permit people without U.S. addresses to have access to mySSA.  That's because our circumstances are so different from those of U.S. residents, what with spouses and children who have never lived in the U.S., etc.  SSA Manila really doesn't want Thailand residents calling the U.S. 800 number for advice.  They can point to numerous cases where people have received bad advice because the SSA person in the U.S. didn't know or didn't understand how things were different for Americans living overseas.

I applied for my social security on line.  I listed my true Thai address and set up direct deposit at Bangkok Bank.  I directed that my social security would start 4 months in the future.  Later I forget how long, I received a letter which stated that a telephone interview was set up and I had to call Manila for the interview.  No problems for me  I started receiving the money right on schedule.  But maybe because I applied for Medicare part A which is free I was in the system.

On 6/12/2018 at 7:34 AM, mtls2005 said:

I listed my Thai address, which is where I am living and used a U.S. bank for direct deposit.

I had read all the prep. info and was ready to go when I applied on-line. Again, quite easy, simple, straight-forward. Arranging the telephone interview was fine, I have several U.S. numbers which ring through to here, so easy for me.

For your U.S.direct deposit, was that fully completed with the info you gave on the online S.S. application?

Or did you need to deal directly with your U.S. bank and perhaps file a government benefit direct deposit form with them?

I'm asking because your U.S. bank probably has your U.S. address on record and not your Thai address. 

But that form would require your address and it goes to S.S. So there would be a discrepancy that S.S. would see.

Seems to me that could potentially cause a problem?

I am still deciding whether to use the Bangkok Bank ACH method or direct deposit to a U.S. account (they all have my U.S. address listed).

For someone just getting started with this, which approach would people recommend?

I see now that I can apply online and eventually I'll be dealing with Manila anyway.

But in the case of direct deposit, it was reported here Thailand isn't supported as a choice, so that's not good. You have to get them that info later.

If the direct deposit is to go a U.S. bank, you can enter the info in the initial online application. 

As an alternative to starting online, how exactly do you go about starting things with Manila.

Just an email stating your intention. Or call them? 

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I'm asking because your U.S. bank probably has your U.S. address on record and not your Thai address. 

But that form would require your address and it goes to S.S. So there would be a discrepancy that S.S. would see.

Seems to me that could potentially cause a problem?

I am still deciding whether to use the Bangkok Bank ACH method or direct deposit to a U.S. account (they all have my U.S. address listed).

You are really getting wrapped around the axle on the address thing...that is, how you would give SS your full Thai address which includes sub-district and district and that address might be different (longer) that what IRS or SS currently has reflected.    When you apply with SS, whether in person, telephone interview, or online just give them your "full" Thailand address which is going to include street address for one line, subdistrict and district for a second line, and your city/country/postal code for third line.  And if you want to/need to have more lines that OK.   The SS system can handle that, especially since having a full Thailand address identified can be very important in the Thai mailman finding your address...or at least the mail arriving sooner. 

Like if you were applying on online using an international address like in Thailand you can add address lines to ensure an accurate and complete address is entered.  For example below is a snapshot from the online application.

image.png.bb7841cb2ef8f1b3a3618f2ea8e9d795.png

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

But in the case of direct deposit, it was reported here Thailand isn't supported as a choice, so that's not good. You have to get them that info later.

Who reported that? 

Of course you can still have your social security pension paid to a Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit account.  If you are talking about that other thread talking about not being able to use ACH transfers to Bangkok Bank beginning 1 Apr 19 unless transmitted in the International ACH Transfaction (IAT) format, that only applies to ACH transfers a person initiates from their bank/credit union/financial company.  U.S. Govt benefit payments such as social security, military retirement are "not" affected by that change.

And if you decide to have you SS pension paid to your U.S. bank vs Bangkok Bank in Thailand, keep in mind come 1 Apr 19 you will not be able to transfer/relay those funds from your U.S. bank to your Bangkok Bank account using the Bangkok Bank New York branch ACH method unless transmitted in the ACH IAT format....and banks don't use IAT for retail accounts like you have.  To relay those funds you would have to use an Int'l Wire/SWIFT or money transfer service Transferwise.   But what bank you have your pension go to (a bank in the U.S. or to somewhere else) is a completely separate issue from what "physical/residential address" you give SS. 

Good information here.. I have just started the process.   They are still working out the SSN ERROR... I am still alive not dead...  Sent an email requesting the process for benefits then the Claims officer mentioned this error. He is working it.. So far a month of waiting but just received a phone call to begin processing and to confirm the benefit payout.   Thus it appears a long process but they are coming through.

Question:  At 62 can you still work in Thailand and receive SS Benefits?  (He mentioned (claims officer) that there would be a suspension of benefits because I did not reach for retirement age.

I thought you could still work and receive SS benefits.

Any insights welcomed.

I turned 62 in Feb. so I applied (3months prior) for early SS benefits in Dec. I was interviewed by phone in Dec. by a guy from the FBU at the Manila Embassy. Routine questions were answered. He wanted some docs about what work I would be doing post-retirement in Bkk and if I would be receiving any retirement benefits from the Thai Govt. I sent them right away. And then nothing.

I have called (straight to an answering machine which never seems to be checked) and sent email (unanswered) multiple times and it's already May when I should have got my first SS check March or April. I did get through once on the phone about a couple of weeks ago to a lady there who looked up my case on their system and told me "it's being processed, and I could call again to find out the status (which is not particularly helpful)."

Anybody had a similar experience with the Manila? Is it just the current general demoralization of the State Dept? Any suggestions? Thanks.

I deal with the Manila office and have done for roughly 5 years - almost completely useless IMHO but I don’t attribute that to State Department demoralization, just local incompetence. Once I’ve found out a local official’s email address I just keep hammering that specific individual. It took nearly 6 months to change my preferred bank account (both in Australia) - not, you would think, a demanding task and frankly something that you should be able to do online
  • Like 1
30 minutes ago, Rhys said:

Question:  At 62 can you still work in Thailand and receive SS Benefits?  (He mentioned (claims officer) that there would be a suspension of benefits because I did not reach for retirement age.

Yes, you can still receive benefits while working here, but they want to know how many hours. At least that's what the guy in Manila asked me in the phone interview. Then, in fact, I had to send him a letter from my employer saying that I was working part-time 12hrs/month (I forget the limit beyond which I believe there's a penalty).

"Suspension of benefits"? Before full retirement age you get a little less than what you would get at full. My calculations indicate the difference is small enough that I stay ahead for several years. Not to mention I need the money now.

• Like 1

No problem in direct depositing to a U.S. bank account where the address on file with that bank is a U.S. address -- in our case a mail forwarding service in Miami, Fl. yet telling SS the truth that you're living in Thailand and having SS correspondence coming to the Thai address.  This is what we do with Hubby.

• Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, Rhys said:

Good information here.. I have just started the process.   They are still working out the SSN ERROR... I am still alive not dead...  Sent an email requesting the process for benefits then the Claims officer mentioned this error. He is working it.. So far a month of waiting but just received a phone call to begin processing and to confirm the benefit payout.   Thus it appears a long process but they are coming through.

I thought you could still work and receive SS benefits.

Any insights welcomed.

Sure...but maybe not depending on your work situation...clear as mud right.  Different rules apply depending on whether you are working inside or outside the U.S.  Go to below link and then select the sublink titled "If you are working outside the U.S."

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/whileworking.html

• Like 1

On Line Application update:

Submitted app via website on June 14, completed phone interview with Manila on June 29 & mailed requested documents.

On August 11, I received a confirmation of benefits letter from Baltimore dated July 28, stating the amount I will receive, that it will be direct deposited to BBK Bank account & that first payment will be made "around"  November 2. Payments after that will be made on the 3rd of each month.

All in all, relatively painless. The biggest problem was trying to deal with the main office of Bangkok Bank in my town. They were clueless. After wasting an hour with those idiots,  I went to a small branch in Robinson's & the lady there knew all about the process & completed all the paper work in one visit.

• Like 1

Tagaa
Good update...you are now good to go...and now officially old since you are drawing social security. [emoji1]

Looked thru all your earlier posts and you needed to mail your original birth certificate or a certified copy to Manila due to a birth date discrepancy showing in the SSA database. If you mailed the original did you get it back yet? If you mailed a certified copy you will not get that back.

And even though you needed to mail in some supporting docs which slowed down the application approval the application really went pretty smooth it seems...no real drama...more of a waiting process over approx. 2 months.

OK, I'm still unclear on the MySSA vs. applying online thing.

I understand you can (and should) apply online for benefits and you can use your Thai address assuming you're living in Thailand. 

But I'm confused about whether it's OK or not to open a MySSA account using a U.S. address that you've been using but don't actually live at. 

Perhaps it's OK to add the U.S. address as a mailing address but if you can't use a foreign address for residence, you can leave the residence part blank?

Having a SSA account with your U.S. address and the online benefits application using Thai address would still get correspondence correctly mailed to Thailand?

I'm concerned about opening the SSA account using a U.S address (which is verifiable) if it's going to lead to a problem later on, particularly what Nancy L said about being charged with fraud? 

Edited by Jingthing

Snapshot from mySSA when you start the process to open an online account.  Of course you are suppose to tell the turth as to your address when opening an account, but if the U.S. address entered does not reflect in/can not be validated against your Equifax credit report you'll need to enter one that does. 

Like the story I told (below also) regarding the creation of the wife's mySSA account in 2013 when her current U.S. mailing address of around 5 years could not be validated against her credit report...so the SSA rep said try using an earlier U.S. address which worked.  Her current address was indeed reflected in the credit report but for some reason the credit report wanted to validate against her address 5 years earlier.

Snapshot from the SSA page when starting the online account creation process.  Notice what is says it will "not" update info they have on file regarding your address.   People move all the time....their new address may not find it's way into the SSA system until they possibly get an update from your federal return filing via IRS or their employer....and your address may take a while to find its way into your credit report.

Snapshot from SSA online account regristration

image.png.70ddb07d8937a498d9972304ac94a81b.png

Story of creating the wife's online account

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2018 at 12:06 PM, Pib said:

Tagaa
Looked thru all your earlier posts and you needed to mail your original birth certificate or a certified copy to Manila due to a birth date discrepancy showing in the SSA database. If you mailed the original did you get it back yet? If you mailed a certified copy you will not get that back.

I still haven't gotten the certified CC of my birth certificate back. I have gotten 2 mailings from SSA, one from Manila & one from Baltimore, so I'm wondering if Manila has even mailed it.

Edited by Tagaa
  • 2 weeks later...

A embossed, certified copy is an original, not just a photostatic copy. Razel indicated in our conversation she would mail it back to me. I have sent her a follow up - subject second request as she has not replied to my e-mail sent to her two weeks ago.

On 6/24/2018 at 1:14 PM, NancyL said:

I send SSA Manila an email on June 12 and didn't receive a reply, so I resent it on June 21, with a subject header of "2nd request: ......" ahead of the original subject heading.  I received a reply from a real person within 24 hours, asking to set up a specific time for a phone call.  I've encountered this before, that a "2nd request" email is often needed.

Hi there. 

Add me to the one of many that is having problems getting responses from FBU Manila. 

When you email them with a second send because of no response do you include the original email in a thread or start a new one? 

I ask because when I first send an email I got an automated acknowledgement of it. 

Then later I got a canned email saying they needed more standard ID info in the email to deal with any email. 

So I sent that info right away and included the original rejected email. 

After sending that I got no automated acknowledgement of receipt. 

Now I wonder if this has fallen into a black hole. 

So thats why I'm asking if you start a new email thread on resends. 

Also when should you expect an automated acknowledgement of email receipt. 

Another question. I think someone else said there  is a US number that rings to Manila. It's not publicized if there is.

Asking because I can call a US number for free but not a Philippine number. 

Thanks for any info. 

On 9/11/2018 at 8:15 PM, Jingthing said:

Hi there. 

Add me to the one of many that is having problems getting responses from FBU Manila. 

When you email them with a second send because of no response do you include the original email in a thread or start a new one? 

I ask because when I first send an email I got an automated acknowledgement of it. 

Then later I got a canned email saying they needed more standard ID info in the email to deal with any email. 

So I sent that info right away and included the original rejected email. 

After sending that I got no automated acknowledgement of receipt. 

Now I wonder if this has fallen into a black hole. 

So thats why I'm asking if you start a new email thread on resends. 

Also when should you expect an automated acknowledgement of email receipt. 

Another question. I think someone else said there  is a US number that rings to Manila. It's not publicized if there is.

Asking because I can call a US number for free but not a Philippine number. 

Thanks for any info. 

I gave up on getting an email response from Manila long ago. Best call

+63 2 301 2000 Ext. 9  a little after 8am Manila time. I've been mostly lucky in getting someone to pick up at that time. Later in the day you'll be dropped into the answering system almost certainly. And if you're really lucky it will be Rozelle answering - she is very helpful.

However, you might be better off calling the US International FBU +1 410 965 2356 directly, particularly if your stuff has already been forwarded to Baltimore for final approval. This number is in Baltimore and certainly doesn't get routed to the Philippines. Again, doggedness pays. E.g., I tried about 20 times yesterday from 8am - 3pm US EST, no luck, only the answering system. Today got through to a person around 10:30 US EST, again after several tries.

In my case, they are waiting for a Thai doc I sent to be translated. According to the lady today, they aren't hiring, they are short-staffed, so be prepared for a long wait.

Edited by Chicksaw
  • Like 1

I involved in helping a person  through their social security application right now and the level of support from the Manila FBU I would score as a D-minus, to include responding to emails.   Contacting them (getting a human on the line) via phone can also be hard....a luck of the draw. 

And as Chicksaw mentioned if your application has been submitted forward to Baltimore from Manila then contacting the Baltimore number he gave will probably result in better results than what you can get out of Manila because it's Baltimore that makes final review/approval of your application.  

Based on three applications I've assisted with over the last two years it seems the level of support at Manila FBU has got slower, less-responsive and also highly dependent on who is handling your application/has responsibility for you based on your social security number.  Apparently each year the office rotates social security number responsibly among the staff probably to balance case load; spread the joy and grief of handling easy or hard applications, respectively; ensure no representative gets to cozy with any one beneficiary,  etc.    Ex: even though last year say Ms ABC at Manila was handling your benefits issue based on your social security number....come next year it will be someone else such as Mr XYZ as social security number assignments are rotated among the Manila staff.   

• Thanks 1

No wonder all the pain and frustration. Extract from https://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-to-navigate-the-complexity-of-claiming-social-security-2018-09-19

Social Security staffers are short-handed

Sad to say, potential claimants can’t rely on the Social Security Administration for guidance. The agency is terribly short-staffed and maddeningly overwhelmed.

Since 2010, the Social Security Administration’s core operating budget has been cut by 9 percent, adjusting for inflation, according to Kathleen Romig, senior policy analyst of the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities. Those budget cuts translate into a 12% reduction in staff, closed field offices and shortened office hours. Little surprise, then, that callers to Social Security often don’t get answers to their questions. (Note to Congress: The ranks of people eligible to file for Social Security is rising. Cutting into Social Security’s budget makes no sense.)

• Like 1