Dowry?

Craigee34

The dowry is  money given by the groom to the parents of the bride to secure his position in the brides family as traditionally the groom went to live with her family and either lived in the parents house or built their own house on land supplied by the parents. he then acquired a living assisting the parents with their farm and later took over the running of that farm when the land was passed down to his wife. The society has changed somewhat from being completely agricultural but the property and other asset details are much the same

• Like 2

6 hours ago, meechai said:

A couple of decades ago I was in your shoes

So I asked my future mother in-law (rest her soul) what was expected

They were poor farmers & she told me her daughter was not for sale but

should we marry she hoped I would take care of her daughter & hoped that we would be very healthy & happy together.

I knew then & there that this was a good family & I was not proved wrong.

Good Luck to you

nice post. are you still together ?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, meechai said:

A couple of decades ago I was in your shoes

So I asked my future mother in-law (rest her soul) what was expected

They were poor farmers & she told me her daughter was not for sale but

should we marry she hoped I would take care of her daughter & hoped that we would be very healthy & happy together.

I knew then & there that this was a good family & I was not proved wrong.

Good Luck to you

Did the same. It was the sibblings pushing for it. I built mum a house instead. It was very much appreciated by all. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grumbleweed said:

I'd also be concerned with her employment history. Typically, bar girls are there to hunt farang. Only idiots of a special kind believe them when they say they do it to support their family.

Some may call it the ultimate "try before you buy," but in such cases, the cash flow should be in the opposite direction, unless you think it okay to buy food that someone has already chewed

Generalization. I know many girls who specifically went to work in the bar to meet and marry a foreigner and emigrate! And the large majority of these marriages worked out well.

• Like 1

Would you pay a dowry to wed the woman you love in your country of birth??  Sod this dowry b.s. and please dont try and excuse this Thai practice as something a Farang has to do.  
Not really relevant. A dowry is no longer part of most western marriage culture, while in different ways, it is still very much part of some Asian marriage cultures.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

I paid roughly 200,000 baht in cash and 200,000 baht in gold for my 32 year old Thai nurse wife. We also allowed her family to keep the monies provided as wedding gifts, looked like another 200,000 baht. At the time my wife said her mother told her she would return the cash when we settled in Thailand and that is exactly what she did recently when we purchased land in northern Thailand. I'd described the family as low middle class, once dirt poor and living in a truck till my wife was five, now reasonably comfortable as a fish farmer and shopkeeper in a rural area near Bangkok.

• Like 1

Dowery, she comes with nothing, You mean Bride Price. Some get it back, minus wedding expenses.

Some get nothing back. Depends on so much. You will get all the information here. If she has been married

before or has kids, I say give nothing. The first guy paid the upfront lump sum and you will be making

the parent's retirement pension. 

The dowry is, and probably always will be a serious tradition here in Thailand. As soon as the parents learn they have a baby girl it will be in the back of their minds that maybe one day she will marry.  I've been to lots of weddings here, Thais marrying Thais and it is always a big part of the ceremony, with the money beautifully displayed.. There maybe times that it is for show and the money is returned or it has been discussed before that it is not necessary but these would be the exceptions rather than the norm. If it was the case where Thais don't pay a dowry but Farangs are expected to then I would understand peoples concerns, but that is a million miles from the truth. In most cases the amount is negotiable. That is why the big amounts always hit the headlines.  For example I paid 40,000 baht about 10 years ago, and had no problem with it what so ever....and I'm a long way from being a rich man

So basically if you are want to marry a Thai lady in Thailand but are not prepared to honor their traditions then to put simply you really need to look elsewhere and marry someone from your own culture. There maybe occasions where the bride's parents say they don't require money and that's fine but to openly refuse to pay just because "It is not my culture" is like pointing a finger at her parents and saying "I have zero respect for you"   There are sometimes in life where personal opinions count for nothing and disagreeing with a another country's wedding traditions and customs that have been handed down from generation to generation is one of them.  Basically,  people who do make themselves look really rather ignorant.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, csabo said:

Just do whatever is customary in your country. Oh.. You don't buy women for brides in your country? OK then go with that. Whores you gotta pay for though. 

he's single in his country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been around about thirty years. Up till about fifteen years ago, the only times I heard sin sot mentioned - if it was mentioned at all - the amounts were in the few thousands or ten thousand or two. Oddly enough, the huge sums being talked about here, even allowing for inflation, only started to appear when the explosion in numbers of farang men living in and visiting Thailand really took off.

Coincidence?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

I've been around about thirty years. Up till about fifteen years ago, the only times I heard sin sot mentioned - if it was mentioned at all - the amounts were in the few thousands or ten thousand or two. Oddly enough, the huge sums being talked about here, even allowing for inflation, only started to appear when the explosion in numbers of farang men living in and visiting Thailand really took off.

Coincidence?

well I saw them larger than that much before 15 years ago

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Coincidence?

Tends to depend on the financial status of the family - - a Thai friend of mine, thai/thai had to build a 15MM baht home and this was about 15 years ago.... I have seen Thai/thai pay 1MM baht... 

39 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

The dowry is, and probably always will be a serious tradition here in Thailand. As soon as the parents learn they have a baby girl it will be in the back of their minds that maybe one day she will marry.  I've been to lots of weddings here, Thais marrying Thais and it is always a big part of the ceremony, with the money beautifully displayed.. There maybe times that it is for show and the money is returned or it has been discussed before that it is not necessary but these would be the exceptions rather than the norm. If it was the case where Thais don't pay a dowry but Farangs are expected to then I would understand peoples concerns, but that is a million miles from the truth. In most cases the amount is negotiable. That is why the big amounts always hit the headlines.  For example I paid 40,000 baht about 10 years ago, and had no problem with it what so ever....and I'm a long way from being a rich man

So basically if you are want to marry a Thai lady in Thailand but are not prepared to honor their traditions then to put simply you really need to look elsewhere and marry someone from your own culture. There maybe occasions where the bride's parents say they don't require money and that's fine but to openly refuse to pay just because "It is not my culture" is like pointing a finger at her parents and saying "I have zero respect for you"   There are sometimes in life where personal opinions count for nothing and disagreeing with a another country's wedding traditions and customs that have been handed down from generation to generation is one of them.  Basically,  people who do make themselves look really rather ignorant.  

5 star spot on - - [except not maybe - may be] - saved me from writing my rant. 

• Like 1