Japanese tourist held at Don Mueang on weapons charges

snoop1130

2 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Why wouldn't he had checked them in as luggage? makes no sense to carry them on....

sounds more like just a stupid or ignorant fellow 

maybe that is the impression he wants to make. 
from police report it is not clear but I think that  box was caught on the way to the luggage hold, or maybe already at the entrance door to the departure hall.
In any case,  it must have weighted in at plenty over 7 kilos by the looks of it.

did they re-check the other passengers' luggage and double check  the plane ?
other passengers (especially on the same booking if any) that did a no-show ?

Good that the Authorities caught it !

Edited by KKr

3 minutes ago, alfalfa19 said:

expired magazines, meaning empty.  and an inert mine.  this is no big cache of weapons, it's just harmless collector stuff.  what a joke.

55555 Would have loved to see your face if he was being searched just in front of you 5555555 

11 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Sorry to ask but how did the apprentice specOP,  bring in the stuff from Vietnam to Thailand ?

Sea, Air, Land ?!!...

in the police report it says he came to the Country three times, one time it is mentioned travelling on Air Asia. so maybe he walked two times.

[Mr Takeru has been charged for illegal possession of firearms, illegally bring firearms into Thailand and attempting to take explosives onto an aircraft]

Where are the firearms and or explosives. These are simply old gun parts. I for one don't see the crime.

It seems to me that this is just another 'bum rush' opportunity. 

More likely an infraction of the import/export law. (eg. no import/export license)

Life sentence and or 80,000 baht fine. Ludacris 

1 hour ago, Juan B Tong said:

Thank God they stopped this terrorist!

Practice dummy training claymore, antique rifle magazines, and who knows what else he was smuggling.

How did he get his hands on these in Vietnam?

(If your not in the military or police in Nam, you can get arrested for having a sharp stick and need a permit and a good reason to have a BB gun.)

I pray he didn't get his hands on a P38 or P51. These were carried by almost every Grunt and tore up more metal than anything else did when I did my tour of duty.

51rlElMJYdL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Carried it on your dog tags did you Mr Tong ? If you lose them your bayonet made for a OK sub but was a bit messy sometimes. The first time that I saw a P51 was a gift from an Aussi in Nam over 50 years ago ,thanks for the recollection Tong.

Edited by AsiaHand

10 minutes ago, AsiaHand said:

Carried it on your dog tags did you Mr Tong ? If you loos them your bayonet made for a OK sub but was a bit messy sometimes. The first time that I saw a P51 was a gift from an Aussi in Nam over 50 years ago ,thanks for the recollection Tong.

From what I read, terrorists are not so clumsy....Don't think he was a terrorist...Just an avid gun fan   

On the other hand the deactivated "Claymore" certainly could be construed as "dangerous"

Edited by Top Chef

Just a thought:

Considering that the "tube" water guns / canons are considered a ILLEGAL weapon, and carry a fine up to 50,000THB and 1 year in jail, it is a BIG mistake for a foreigner to have / possess ANYTHING that could be CONSIDERED a weapon..Pocket knife, tire iron / spanner, etc

2 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

9-_180509_0028-1024x683.jpg

could one of you brownies please point at the Japanese tourist? Did he escape already?

Nah, wasn't allowed in picture because this is a photo opportunity for the coppers and their hangers on.

Possibly as he is an Asian NOT a farang and therefore not shown, to be shamed and ridiculed like those pesky caucasian foreigners.

Seems they all shop at the same store or website to buy their parachuting emblems! :whistling:

3 hours ago, Goanna said:

The personel mine is definitely a war weapon. An explosive device, although deactivated, is an explosive device.

HEY..

Memo to all you snowflake types.  (Nothing personal Goanna)

2018-05-10_11.17.54.jpg

Edited by Juan B Tong
  • Like 1

Is is not “expired” but “deactivated” these weapons have been welded shut and/or drilled full of holes so that they cannot be used for their intended purpose but are display pieces. Used to have two Lee Enfield rifles on the wall nothing elligal about it but taking them on a plane will certainly raise some eyebrows.

1 minute ago, Nokawou said:

Is is not “expired” but “deactivated” these weapons have been welded shut and/or drilled full of holes so that they cannot be used for their intended purpose but are display pieces. Used to have two Lee Enfield rifles on the wall nothing elligal about it but taking them on a plane will certainly raise some eyebrows.

"Is is not “expired” but “deactivated” these weapons have been welded shut and/or drilled full of holes so that they cannot be used for their intended purpose but are display pieces."

So, big RTP song and dance about very little? They need a reality check perhaps? :whistling:

There are thousands of dangerous weapons in Thailand used by the public every day with "great results" AKA motor vehicles! They kill more than his load of "firearms" will. :coffee1:

Maybe my thinking is askew. :sorry:

• Like 1

You may perhaps be missing the point. Many Thai laws have this. Wealthy defendant with status gets the fine (provided he hasn't annoyed anyone further up the social ladder) ; Peasant gets decades in prison. It is the perfect system of sentencing for a society that is both highly conservative (protecting those with power and money) and highly corrupt (big incentive for "pre-trial negotiations").

You can contrast it with the sentencing guidelines for England and Wales which give judges little room for manoeuvre.
This is Thailand only. Because the fine is ridiculous and not in contrast to the jail term.

In my home country the amount of the fine is calculated from your assets and income, therefore equal to everyone.
On the other hand you can convert the fine for most offences into jail time if you favor that 555

What a useless load of old junk to want to collect.  If he really didn't know the parts were illegal in Thailand, he must have known they were illegal in Japan. 

Imagine pulling the stuff out of a trunk to drool over - Wow I've got an old M16 or AK47 mag with no spring or a part of a mine. But maybe, if Japanese police search his home, they will find he has other parts of the guns there which would make more sense but still be a stupid thing to do.

Edited by Dogmatix

1 hour ago, Nokawou said:

I think the active components of the mine are removed, which would render it at least temporarily deactivated until you put new innards in it.  The magazines are in normal working order but lack springs. These days the springs are all made in China which produces a huge quantity of both types, M16/AR15 and AK47, for the US civilian market as well as militaries around the world.  It wouldn't be too hard to find the springs and get the magazines working again.   

17 hours ago, Briggsy said:

You can contrast it with the sentencing guidelines for England and Wales which give judges little room for manoeuvre.

Like the bankers who were jailed for fraud compared to somebody who is stealing food. Oh wait, the bankers got away with it.