Gun violence in Thailand: A problem that can't be solved?

rooster59

Strange, I don't seem to be hearing of gun massacres in Thailand like they have in the USA. Then again, most Thais don't seem to have access to the semi-automatics so beloved by American supporters of the NRA. Perhaps it's purely co-incidental.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Strange, I don't seem to be hearing of gun massacres in Thailand like they have in the USA. Then again, most Thais don't seem to have access to the semi-automatics so beloved by American supporters of the NRA. Perhaps it's purely co-incidental.

And if they did?

6 hours ago, hansnl said:

I think most crimes with guns are done with illegal guns.

And that's exactly where police forces all over the world can't do anything about.

Spot on. it is extremely easy to get access and hold a gun here. No serial number, nothing asked... Cash works fast and easy

5 hours ago, connda said:

... Then they call for knives to be taken away from the average citizens.  Afterward they'll demand the ban of forks, spoons, and chopsticks for the average citizen...

Don't need them to eat som tum and sticky rice.  If they ban satay sticks, we're screwed.  Then only criminals will have satay.

• Haha 2

Thailand has a gun problem, and a lot of guns are shipped there from Europe, Russia and America.

As long as the criminals have their supplies, this problem will exist, and many more will die.

Just like in America, Russia, Europe and the rest of the world.

Geezer

Ok here is one thing I noticed in Thailand since I have been here. On tv, most movies on the screen have violence in them. Shooting, Fighting, In fact, I don't think I have seen many movies where it's about a peaceful story.  That must have an effect on the society here.

19 hours ago, hansnl said:

I think most crimes with guns are done with illegal guns.

And that's exactly where police forces all over the world can't do anything about.

Police forces can't do anything about (most crimes being committed with) illegal guns, the more so in countries where police would be a major source of illegal guns, wouldn't you say, like in ..., damn, can't remember the name just now.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, BigC said:

In a world where there are so many guns I need one to keep

my family safe 

I beleive more licensed guns should be issued 

I agree with you BUT under three conditions:

1) To become a license to (purchase and) keep a gun inside the place(!) you are registered at (like 99% of the ones delivered now), every applicant should first be trained (and tested) about how to manipulate a gun safely, and show her/his ability to shoot a (same category of) gun (as the one asking a license for) with a minimum of accuracy (like 5 shots out of 10 'in the black' of a C50 target at 10m. distance for handguns?).

2) To keep a license valid, every 'x' years, the holder should take the initiative to present her/his gun(s !) to the issuing(!) police authority for a renewed term.

3) Very, harsh penalties for persons carrying guns on themselves (extra strong when caught in a public place, or at a reachable spot in a vehicle!

20 hours ago, Happy enough said:

A step in the right direction updating and making a central database for licenses then having to have licenses renewed etc. (if that ever happens) IMO won't change anything with regards gun crimes and illegal guns as i can't see something like a gun amnesty bringing up much in thailand. that would be like giving money away. so no, nothing's going to change IMO

As far as I know, there is a central database, but how well it is working (and kept up to date) 'might be' an issue...

As about many other things, the local police is much, much, better 'informed' than most might think, and know who is holding (IMO most) illegal guns (1, 2, million?).

The issue might rather be what the BiBs do with their intel...

14 hours ago, sambum said:

Beat me to that one!

"And for those who believe that firearms should be banned, well folks, lets start with banning vehicles instead as vehicles are responsible for more deaths in Thailand than guns or other weapons."

And "every one should have the right to bear arms"? And "guns don't kill people - people do"?  "Land of the "free"?

"roam?"

"Rome"?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Don't allow any sorts of guns. 

It's common sense that there are less murders in countries without guns. 

And proven! 

Compare US and any EU country 

I'm not at all sure that there are not quite some EU countries (or regions of) where injuries caused by armed criminals are as high as in most of the states in the US.

Being a EU citizen myself, I could name you quite a few, but don't want to tarnish the reputation of whole countries, while mostly the problem is 'localised' and often alien (criminality) related (oops, what did I write).

Of course, letting people have semi-automatic (army grade assault) rifles, most of can be 'tuned' to shoot in 'full-auto' bursts, is totally insane, and should be banned at once, with retro-active effect!

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Because the handguns depicted at the gun store in the article aren't semi auto or anything.

That was a good try though.

1 hour ago, bangrak said:

As far as I know, there is a central database, but how well it is working (and kept up to date) 'might be' an issue...

As about many other things, the local police is much, much, better 'informed' than most might think, and know who is holding (IMO most) illegal guns (1, 2, million?).

The issue might rather be what the BiBs do with their intel...

no there isn't. they have paper trails of licenses issued across districts with many out of date records and are looking at making a central database and loading all the scattered info onto a computer. as it said in the article

18 hours ago, jvs said:

Let me guess,pro Trump?

Swing and a miss jvs.  Nice try.
Political atheist:  I haven't backed a candidate since Ron Paul.  Democrat or Republican - Clinton camp or Trump camp - Blue or Red or Green or Rainbow or any other campaign colors that allow the mindless masses to engage in fruitless identity politics. 
No candidate at this time has the American people's best interests in mind.  And I have no interest in any of the DC Swamp critters nor their corporate sock-puppets who pose as 'elected officials' who you may mistakenly believe represent your interests.  But they don't.