Tricity conversion...?

funcat

I have the older model Tricity 125cc,is it possible to convert this model to a new one 155cc...and install the ABS?

Looks to me that the bikes looks the same except the engine capacity...what do you think?

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Converting your old bike would probably cost you more than selling it and buying the new model, so that's what i would recommend

Thanks....the new Tricity costs 99500 BHT,my bike is probably half that,so do you think that the conversion will cost that much,that it will make make over not worth it?

I had to rebuild the Nouvo ones and that cost about 5K(new cylinder head,piston etc)....If the whole thing will be 10-20K it still will be worth it IMO...

No comparison of an engine overhaul and changing a complete engine to another model - all the other stuff that has to be changed (it's water cooled, EFi, fittings etc.). And ABS on top of that, and dealing with mechanics !.... Not worth it.

Incidentally, as I found a Tricity owner, does the two wheels up front really make a difference, how safer, more comfortable  are you  !? I guess round the corners and on the wet it matters.... !

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

No comparison of an engine overhaul and changing a complete engine to another model - all the other stuff that has to be changed (it's water cooled, EFi, fittings etc.). And ABS on top of that, and dealing with mechanics !.... Not worth it.

Incidentally, as I found a Tricity owner, does the two wheels up front really make a difference, how safer, more comfortable  are you  !? I guess round the corners and on the wet it matters.... !

I think the engine block is the same,so maybe can get away with just a new cylinder head kit...ABS?don't know,how complicated is it,maybe just some extra bolt on parts and electronic box....and of course,2 wheels up front makes a big difference,that's why I want to hold on to this bike.....until I can afford the Nikken... :)

OK...just visited the local Yamaha dealer service today and the news is not good...the simple 'bolt on' deal will not work,unfortunately because of the coolant passages will not line up...hmm,bummer...and the ABS conversion may cost over 10K.....well,the mechanic tells me,that I can always go to the local 'modify' shop and get it 'powered up' anyway.... :)

...maybe I'll pass for a while,but if there is anybody who's done it,please let me know...the Tricity is definitely worth it...just love it  !!

Same engine as Nuovo SX?  If all you want is 155cc then you need to find a Yamaha tuning shop so they can bore your engine to 58mm and install a new piston.  If a Honda PCX 125 can be increased to 164cc (61mm) I see no reason a Yamaha can't be increased to 155 (58mm)

Where you go depends on where you live.

Having owned both, papa would say TriCity125 has different and more powerful engine than SX.

Not 100% sure.

Maybe 75% sure.

TriCity is safest/most-stable bike out there

IpHO.

ABS almost seems overkill.

I think the new model has disk breaks front and back. The standard version has that combi break like the Honda (89k baht), the ABS version - front and back I think is 99k baht. But a very heavy bike, 164kg the ABS version.

https://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/commuter/tricity-155/feature

I need to really try it in the rain going downhill slope and on the wet corners to be convinced that it is better than the NMax with same 155cc and ABS front/back and lighter at 127kg and at 80k baht... That is if 20k baht better... !!!?  (Although if it can save a fall in that condition, it could be worth it.... In normal condition and dry surface, no point really unless you are a novice or something else.)

The problem is that bikes can easily go down when they hit slick surfaces.

Tricity trike solves that problem bigly.

Remember the vid of TriCity operating on snowy/icy roads.?

Impossible on a bike without steel studded tires.

Look:

A 2-wheel bike is more stable than a unicycle. True? Yes.

A 4-wheeler is more stable than a 3-wheeler. True? Yes.

&

TriCity is way more stable than a motorbike.

... papa not lying.

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

A solution looking for a problem.

Don' t for a second buy into the safest/most stable argument.

Why not?

Two front wheels, wheels, both with ABS - double the front end traction which, in the wet, can make the difference between the front end slipping and not.... 

The only real issue is avoiding small obstacles... i.e. small pot holes and bumps... Straddle them with the front wheels, but the rear still hits them.

44 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Two front wheels, wheels, both with ABS - double the front end traction

Not true. Traction depends on weight per cu cm, leaving out tire construction, rubber compounds. There is only so much weight. Divide it by two tires leaves halt the traction per tire.

Oh - but if one tire slips I have the other tire.

Which will mean nothing. If the first one slips the second one will also.

If twin front tires are so superior, why do race teams, off road riders, Dakar Rally not use them ?

I say again - a solution looking for a problem.

Marketing hype - directed to the sheeple who do not know.

No 

you are confusing traction

with friction [=weight x coefficient-of-friction] = [Fµ.],

Traction is a much more complicated equation.

I say again - losing front traction and falling IS a problem.

You obviously disagree; swell.

A tripod is intrinsically more stable than a bipod.

Most people can accept that.

But you don't have to.

papa has been biker-down on the pavement

6 times, LOS.

Likely 3, maybe 5 of those times

would have remained rubber-side-down

if on the trike.

It's a whole other thang for stable.

"If twin front tires are so superior, why do race teams, off road riders, Dakar Rally not use them ?"

ha ha ha ha ha

You really don't know.?!?

They be slow and designed for roads.

Stable, but slow.

It's not that complicated.

Conflating Dakar with scooting around town n country.

Good one.!

"Marketing hype - directed to the sheeple who do not know."

I'm going out on a limb and am suggesting

that someone who has really tested the trike (papa)

might have a better idea than someone who has not.

"Sheeple."

Ahh. Name-calling.

Well played sir;

well played.

Simply put, traction is the friction between your tires and the road surface. Several factors determine how much traction is available, including surface condition, the tires’ ability to grip the road, and the amount of “load” or pressure pressing the tires onto the surface.

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/riding-tips-how-much-traction-does-your-motorcycle-have

As I posted above. Argue however and whatever and whyever you want. You can not change physics. No matter how much you ' Test'  555

6 hours ago, canthai55 said:

If twin front tires are so superior, why do race teams, off road riders, Dakar Rally not use them ?

Against the rules?

Tyrrell-P34-ft.jpg

6 hours ago, canthai55 said:

leaving out tire construction, rubber compounds.

The most important features of tire grip?

On 5/18/2018 at 6:43 AM, papa al said:

No 

you are confusing traction

with friction [=weight x coefficient-of-friction] = [Fµ.],

Traction is a much more complicated equation.

I say again - losing front traction and falling IS a problem.

You obviously disagree; swell.

A tripod is intrinsically more stable than a bipod.

Most people can accept that.

But you don't have to.

papa has been biker-down on the pavement

6 times, LOS.

Likely 3, maybe 5 of those times

would have remained rubber-side-down

if on the trike.

It's a whole other thang for stable.

"If twin front tires are so superior, why do race teams, off road riders, Dakar Rally not use them ?"

ha ha ha ha ha

You really don't know.?!?

They be slow and designed for roads.

Stable, but slow.

It's not that complicated.

Conflating Dakar with scooting around town n country.

Good one.!

"Marketing hype - directed to the sheeple who do not know."

I'm going out on a limb and am suggesting

that someone who has really tested the trike (papa)

might have a better idea than someone who has not.

"Sheeple."

Ahh. Name-calling.

Well played sir;

well played.

I must totally agree with you Papa...nothing perfect out there,but big step in to improve the safety of the rider...

...the bad thing is the extra weight...and price  :)

...but the future is coming...

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=chr-greentree_ff&p=youtube+video+yamaha+nikken#id=1&vid=eb4d41ebf603f56a533181d36d32c98c&action=click

On 5/19/2018 at 8:00 AM, funcat said:

I must totally agree with you Papa...nothing perfect out there,but big step in to improve the safety of the rider...

...the bad thing is the extra weight...and price  ?

...but the future is coming...

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=chr-greentree_ff&p=youtube+video+yamaha+nikken#id=1&vid=eb4d41ebf603f56a533181d36d32c98c&action=click

This new Nikken is very interesting, of course bigger shocks and tires ans so on, but fundamentally it is the Tricity concept, so two wheels upfront "better than one".... ! I really need to test ride one.

Archived