Pete & Abbie’s holiday goes wrong – Go Fund Me campaign raises funds for medical bills

webfact

Pete & Abbie’s holiday goes wrong – Go Fund Me campaign raises funds for medical bills

By The Thaiger

32395191_1786954114660514_18308779777017

PHOTOS: ‘Pete & Abbies Journey’ Facebook page

A British travel agent was left ‘unable to move’ after the taxi she and her partner were in was in a head-on smash with a truck heading to Khao Lak. The incident happened back on May 9. The couple were forced to rely on family and a Go Fund Me campaign to raise funds to pay their medical bills at Bangkok Hospital Phuket.

Abbie Sontag, from Harlow, UK, and her boyfriend Pete Brudenell had only been enjoying their holiday for a matter of days when they were involved in the serious collision with a truck.

According to the mirror.co.uk, 28 year old Abbie had to pay out £35,000 as she was stuck in the Bangkok Hospital Phuket unable to be transferred. She had broken three ribs, rupturing her spleen and bowel and required surgery on her back. He partner was also injured.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/pete-abbies-holiday-goes-wrong-go-fund-me-campaign-raises-funds-for-medical-bills

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-05-17

According to the report, the family discovered that Abbie’s travel insurance didn’t cover any of the operations she required.

That means she wasn't wearing a seat belt. How stupid can you get.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

i don't think i have ever worn a seat belt in the back of a taxi so i guess that makes me stupid too and no doubt at least 90% of people.

And how does that sentence you quoted mean she wasn't wearing a seat belt?

Because pretty much any travel insurance package will cover a car passenger if they are wearing a seat belt. Even the cheapest ones do.

2 minutes ago, Metapod said:

Because pretty much any travel insurance package will cover a car passenger if they are wearing a seat belt. Even the cheapest ones do.

The connection you made between insurance and seat belt is highly unlikely.

• Like 2

Like all of these Gofundme/no insurance threads, the actual reason will come out on page 5 of the thread. 99% chance the insurance was voided by their own actions.

1 hour ago, Metapod said:

Seatbelts are often deliberately out of reach, not long enough for non-asian passengers or the female end has fallen between the gap in the seat and cannot be retrieved.

Edited by evadgib
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Happy enough said:

i don't think i have ever worn a seat belt in the back of a taxi so i guess that makes me stupid too and no doubt at least 90% of people.

I never used to wear a seatbelt in the back of a taxi but recently have gotten in taxi's in Bangkok with a sign in back seat that says buckle belt or 500 baht fine if stopped. The driver doesn't pay you do , so now I wear the seatbelts.

4 hours ago, daoyai said:

would think the taxi insurance would cover 100% plus pain and suffering or is this really the 3rd world after all?

Really? You still need to ask that question? It's obvious to most.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Metapod said:

7 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

Im not sure why none of these reports are mentioning getting the money off the truck driver/company who hit the taxi or the taxi company for liability.

When traveling, one can not rely on the country you are traveling in to inforce the laws as they may do  back home as any  travel agent  with any experience SHOULD KNOW.

7 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

Im not sure why none of these reports are mentioning getting the money off the truck driver/company who hit the taxi or the taxi company for liability.

Maybe it was one of those super-duper (illegal, uninsured) Uber cars that everyone eulogises here?

15 hours ago, Metapod said:
15 hours ago, Metapod said:

This was unlikely the reason for denying insurance coverage?

Is this the same British travel agent mentioned in another topic whose so-called travel insurance was part of her credit card contract and who failed to read the terms and conditions of the insurance?

18 hours ago, Happy enough said:

i don't think i have ever worn a seat belt in the back of a taxi so i guess that makes me stupid too and no doubt at least 90% of people

Yeah it does make you stupid, and just when we thought it wasn't possible for you to get "stupider" you spout that 90% of people do the same.

20 hours ago, Metapod said:

Your making blanket assumptions with no real facts of this case.

The lady concerned is a travel agent at home and just assumed she was covered by her 'bank insurance',

An experienced travel agent would surely be well aware that the coverage on travel insurance alters widely provider to provider and policy to policy, but she just assumed she was covered.

I wonder how many of her clients she has told 'your covered by your bank', in other words exposed her clients to possibly massive personal cost if there is an accident.

In fact I wonder about her own general level of knowledge about travel insurance. 

Seems to me she is totally unprofessional about the whole matter. Do travel agents in her home country need any qualifications / licensing to operate a travel agency? Is insurance covered in any training / examination to get a license?

Overall it seems to me that Thailand needs to make some laws about this subject for visitors and also offer, on arrival, a selection of good coverage offerings from respected providers with different levels of coverage.  Arrivals prove they already have a suitable policy (not 'it's OK i'm covered by my bank') or  select a package on arrival and pay before they get an entry stamp.  Needs some work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beechbum said:

Yeah it does make you stupid, and just when we thought it wasn't possible for you to get "stupider" you spout that 90% of people do the same.

i can assure you most and probably more than 90% of people do no wear seat belts in the back of taxis but whatever you say oh intelligent one

22 hours ago, Happy enough said:

It certainly does make you,or anyone else,stupid not to wear a seatbelt in ANY vehicle. Do you think taxis are immune from or even less likely to have accidents? Where do you get the 90% figure from,or did you just make that up?

i agree the other poster is simply speculating on the matter as you point out.

17 hours ago, Tony125 said:

I never used to wear a seatbelt in the back of a taxi but recently have gotten in taxi's in Bangkok with a sign in back seat that says buckle belt or 500 baht fine if stopped. The driver doesn't pay you do , so now I wear the seatbelts.

So you think 500 baht is more important than serious injury or your life? Amazing!