Airport warns of taking photos of landing aircraft at Nai Yang Beach

webfact

Airport warns of taking photos of landing aircraft at Nai Yang Beach

The meeting was to address measures to prevent potential danger to tourists taking photos.

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

Screen-Shot-2018-05-18-at-1.51.33-PM.png

A meeting was held yesterday (May 17), led by the Phuket International Airport General Manager Petch Chancharoen, to discuss a YouTube post.

The meeting follows a ‘youtube’ channel user, ‘donprozento’, posting a video on March 10. The video shows tourists taking photos of an aircraft landing. The aircraft was landing on the runway 09.

The meeting was to address measures to prevent potential danger to tourists taking photos near the area as well as any problems that could be caused by a drone.

Source: https://thethaiger.com/news/airport-warns-of-taking-photos-of-landing-aircraft-at-mai-kho-beach

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-05-18

This is just so stupid. Making problem, where there is no problem. 

What they are afraid of? Someone using toilet during landing and poo dropping to tourists heads?

Perhaps they could turn this into a tourist attraction. Charging visitors 100 baht each. That should make it ok?

Normally the northern national park booth let's me ride through, without paying, if I just go to the corner or ride directly to Nai Yang beach. 

There is also the northern entrance to the landing beach area from Mai Khao side. 

I'd love to see the landings and feel/hear the take-off to/from Sint Maarten airport. Looks so impressive. 

7 hours ago, observer90210 said:

I find this quite sensible from the Thai Aviation Authorities, as there is no limit to the stupidity of some tourists on holiday. (and obviously from some locals also)

Not to mention potential terrorist threats on a space that gives tom-<deleted> and harry such close access to landing air vessels .

As for St Maarten, let's not forget that a girl was killed when she was trying to get blown for fun, from the rear exhaust of a jet on full throttle setting to roll and take off.

Plus drones.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, observer90210 said:

I find this quite sensible

As PIA meeting was merely to address measures to prevent potential danger to tourists, then yes, it is sensible to discuss the matter. What remains to be seen is what actual measures will be taken to prevent potential danger to tourists.

That is where sensibility really matters.

Obviously, banning anyone from the immediate beach areas (ie., quarter km strip) under the flight landing path with appropriate fencing and surveillance would be a solution. Less obvious might be to reverse 180o the direction for landing on the runway (if there's a single runway) so that the aircraft elevation is higher over the beach area on takeover. I expect something more a "window dressing" such as a sign on the beach that warns very seriously of the danger.

It could be a prelude to terrorism. Planes have been attacked with MANPAD rockets in Egypt and Afghanistan.

The direction of landing is determined by the wind. Pilots must land into the prevailing direction of wind. Tailwind at approach speeds can cause a passenger plane to become suddenly unstable, flip over, and crash due to aerodynamic properties of jet wings.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, observer90210 said:

I find this quite sensible from the Thai Aviation Authorities, as there is no limit to the stupidity of some tourists on holiday. (and obviously from some locals also)

Not to mention potential terrorist threats on a space that gives tom-<deleted> and harry such close access to landing air vessels .

As for St Maarten, let's not forget that a girl was killed when she was trying to get blown for fun, from the rear exhaust of a jet on full throttle setting to roll and take off.

St Maarten's of the East???

2 hours ago, helloagain said:

Runway 09 theres only 1 runway anyway

That will be two runways, 09 and 27 as the numbers refer to the compass bearings and, as they can be used in either direction (subject to prevailing wind direction) the numbers are reciprocal.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, saminoz said:

That will be two runways, 09 and 27 as the numbers refer to the compass bearings and, as they can be used in either direction (subject to prevailing wind direction) the numbers are reciprocal.

Nice one,I've got splinters from scratching my head thinking why they used these numbers.

21 hours ago, oilinki said:

Normally the northern national park booth let's me ride through, without paying, if I just go to the corner or ride directly to Nai Yang beach. 

There is also the northern entrance to the landing beach area from Mai Khao side. 

I'd love to see the landings and feel/hear the take-off to/from Sint Maarten airport. Looks so impressive. 

As long as the pilots don't do a Asiana OZ-214 like at SFO, and instead, open their eyes and look at the VASI lights instead of relying on instruments - all should be just fine! 

20 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

I have to say that it's not much fun siting on the beach thst close to a runway - there are such things as "pilot error" and "mechanical failure"

Even ignoring that, the following taken from the YT link above.......

" I use to fly in and out of Phuket two or three times a day on a daily basis for the airline I use to fly for, and lived just outside Phuket , nice area and to be sure there was never ever any shortage of beach goers who just had to get up and personal with aircraft arriving or especially departing getting sunburned and not to mention a severe case of sand blasted faces, in some cases sun bathers showing up at nearby medical facilities to have grains of sand picked out of their teeth, eyes, face and hair, yup, sounds like a fun day at the beach to me..."

I think I agree :whistling:

4 hours ago, helloagain said:

That is the compass direction of the runway from that end. The other end is 27.

If there are 2 runways parallel with each other one would be called 09L (for Left) and the other would be called 09R for right).

3 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Everyone everywhere in Thailand is trying to find something to complain about. Seems Thailand is nothing but a boat load of screaming biatches now. 

Certainly if you judge by the TV forums! However, don't forget that forums are rather like news media - good news isn't news, bad news is. Gives us a bit of a distorted view.

What if its just part of something bigger, like , don't watch us do "anything"?  Stick to your beach sand.

Did anyone photo all the big cargo planes that passed over Udon in 2 days in a row, About a week ago? That was about 20-28 planes each day, in about 4 hours.

See nothing, say nothing?

6 hours ago, helloagain said:

Yes, ONE runway, TWO takeoff/landing directions.

R09/R27

The article was quoting the runway in use, Runway 09

7 hours ago, helloagain said:

A landing strip that is used in both directions for takeoffs and landings has two runway numbers. In Phuket, when a pilot is cleared to land on runway 09 he approaches from the west, if cleared for runway 27 the approach is from the east. In other words "runway 09" is aviation jargon, not commonly understood by all.

5b00003a92ad9_Phuketairportrunways.gif.1e19b217b6dbfdbb6d9257b70b84cf03.gif

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:18 AM, Stargrazer9889 said:

Phuket is such a busy airport that it needs a second runway to be a safe

International Airport. The twin runway concept is for safety. and it is very

needed.

Geezer

Easier said than done.

There is no room for a second runway at Phuket. There has to be a minimum separation distance for simultaneous use and there is simply not enough space between hills. Resumption of properties outside the airport perimeters would be cost prohibitive. 

If they were to try to build a new runway in the area it wouldn't have the length required for today's aircraft. The airport is at a narrow part of the Island. 

Long term the answer may be the proposed airport in Phang Nga just to the north of Phuket.