be free to do what he wants,except be PM again as convicted criminals

are not allowed to be.

I think his greatest wish would be to return to Thailand on a white horse

and save the country

regards Worgeordie

Probably he would save the country 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Unless something dramatic changes, he'll wait until the statute of limitations has expired on the outstanding serious cases awaiting him before he dares return. Others involved in the Krungthai bank fraud got 18 year sentences. He's scared of that now he failed to wangle an amnesty.

When they're all expired, he might risk it. Probably cite old age and ill health to avoid the 2 year sentence and apologies and wai for jumping bail. And hope all good to go at it again!

The fact that Thaksin was asking his supporters to accept an amnesty bill to pardon everyone during the Red Shirt Protest shows that he is guilty as hell and only cares about himself. It was good that most red shirts did not agree with his amnesty bill that was being proposed in order to "reunite" the country and start fresh again. Accepting the amnesty bill would mean no justice and accountability for all the mess that happened during the PAD and Red Shirt protests.

The government should hold a referendum on Thaksin.

○  Do you like Thaksin, vote no return

○ Do you hate Thaksin, vote no amnesty

○ Neither of the above , vote stay out

□ No Return          □ No Amnesty               □ Stay Out

Edited by tukkytuktuk

48 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Here's the open door they've waited for. Thaksin can return home, the King can grant a pardon and then do the same thing with Yingluck. Happy ever after.

Vive la République!!!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Let me add to your lesson. If you want to rob and steal, pay massive bribes and intimidate to try win support, be a general and better still be a general from the Burapha fraternity. That you can avoid all legal consequences and you can even shred the law and re-write your own. 

But but but...................................

The Shin apologist has arrived to try and divert the thread.

This post is about Thaksin and his feeble attempts to avoid justice.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

The government should hold a referendum on Thaksin.

○  Do you like Thaksin, vote no return

○ Do you hate Thaksin, vote no amnesty

○ Neither of the above , vote stay out

□ No Return          □ No Amnesty               □ Stay Out

The what should hold a referendum on all things Thaksin now?

Please think this through before responding.

3 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

By your logic, the junta must be guilty like hell when they pre-grant themselves an amnesty. 

So what? This thread is about Thaksin.

Ah, better to try and divert than defend the indefensible!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

By your logic, the junta must be guilty like hell when they pre-grant themselves an amnesty. 

Yes they are, why do you think that I don't think the junta is guilty and corrupt. Typical pointing fingers back and forth crying about they are corrupt too so we should all get a free pass. We have debated quite a bit in the past on issues regarding to Thaksin, why didn't Thaksin crack down on the corruption with the junta? Oh wait, is it because he picked his own so no need to investigate too?

I have said it in the past, the corruptions under the army in the past have very small effect on the public compare to those of politicians and police which touches the lives of citizens daily. Hence it is why corruption with politicians and police are so much more serious and has bigger impact. 

I welcome all corruption investigations.

5 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Of course, he's totally self centered and only concerned about numero uno.

The Land purchase by his wife was minor in comparison to the probable sentences from the other much more serious charges. Krungthai bank fraud, and the lending of treasury money to the Burmese Junta to buy from his family business, are just two examples.

A lot of grass roots red shirts were against the amnesty bill, good for them. But as we saw, his employees who were PTP MPs overwhelmingly backed and voted for it. 

If you allow a crook to own a political party and pay a salary to MP's to do his bidding, and promote, demote, and dismiss them at will, then the results are hardly surprising!

The Krungthai case is interesting given that some very very high up people also received cheques. However for some unfathomable reason these cheques were nearly immediately cleared as being no problem, all above board, no question to answer..........but the cheques to Shinawatra, OH THEY ARE DIFFERENT.................

As an aside the lovely Meechai was Chairman of the board of Krisdamahakorn when all of this was going on, and yet seemingly he has been completely exonerated in the process.......

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

If he had not done a runner,and completed his sentence,most likely

6 months in a VIP cell, not with 20 other sweaty inmates,he would

be free to do what he wants,except be PM again as convicted criminals

are not allowed to be.

I think his greatest wish would be to return to Thailand on a white horse

and save the country

regards Worgeordie

i hope he does . he still is the better half of 2 bad options

This is the only way Chavalit can get in the news these days .These 'old fossils' of Thai politics have had their chance and achieved nothing for the country .At his advance age he should stay in the background instead of trying to gain headlines by giving advice to a fugitive. 

• Like 1

" Chavalit, 86, refused to say how often he talked to Thaksin and who had made the call in their latest conversation.

He suggested that Thaksin needed to “do good deeds for the people” to gain support from the majority of Thailand’s 65 million population, who would then back his return home."

There aren't enough millenniums left for every government [past and present], every official [past and present], every politician [past and present] to "do good deeds for the people" of Thailand for the <deleted>  and damage they have done to this country.

13 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Did you know that Thaksin Shinawatra is the 10th-wealthiest Thai billionaire by net worth (world rank: 1234). He has 1.86 billion USD (2018).

The question that immediately pops to mind, of course, is : what was his net worth before he became PM (in February 2001) ? Does anyone have a reliable source on that chapter ?

I remember reading in the BP, around 2005, that he and other members of his family were among the 10 richest people in Thailand after his first term (whereas before it was just him, and lower on the list), but my memory isn't what it used to be (I keep forgetting why :biggrin:).

Edited by Yann55

14 minutes ago, wazzupnow said:

i hope he does . he still is the better half of 2 bad options

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the matter, and whether or not he returns to TL, or even wants to (I can't imagine anyone who has lived in both BKK and Dubai wanting to live in BKK again), it seems likely that if he did, the current lot would be packing their bags. Rightly, and they may end up having to do that anyway, albeit the current PT management is seriously lacklustre.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Probably right and I would support any move to imprison him, for what that's worth - which isn't very much.

Just as soon as all the bigger criminals and corrupt officials are imprisoned first.

Spoiled for choice in Thailand, pick a card, any card and start looking closely.

Why them first when he is THE MOST corrupt of all? This is just propaganda to remind Thailand he hasn’t gone away and will be AGAIn doing his corrupt best in the upcoming election - once again proof that if he’d just keep out Thailand would be A MUCH BETTER PLACE and we wouldn’t the austere Government we have now!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bizboi said:

Why them first when he is THE MOST corrupt of all? This is just propaganda to remind Thailand he hasn’t gone away and will be AGAIn doing his corrupt best in the upcoming election - once again proof that if he’d just keep out Thailand would be A MUCH BETTER PLACE and we wouldn’t the austere Government we have now!!

I doubt he was the most corrupt of all, but I'd be interested in how you arrive at that conclusion.

In any event, in my opinion, the current government has nothing whatever to do with fixing the Thaksin legacy, it was to achieve something else entirely.

Edited by KiwiKiwi
  • Confused 1

I think his actions in power and the hiring of Cambodian death squad black shirts in 2006 as well as instructing his lieutenants to shoot red shirts from the rail tracks above the temple  in the last days of the protest as well as burn Bangkok makes him far and away the worst thing that EVER happened to Thailand!! There is NONE more corrupt or more willing to kill for his own ends!!! the protests that saw Thailand in chaos were HIS responsibility alone. If you dont agree I dont care. I walked through the red shirt camp in 2006/7 and saw the weapons they had there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, jippytum said:

This is the only way Chavalit can get in the news these days .These 'old fossils' of Thai politics have had their chance and achieved nothing for the country .At his advance age he should stay in the background instead of trying to gain headlines by giving advice to a fugitive. 

Ahhh, Mr Blobby. Dontcha just love him?

• Haha 1