Today's Savannakhet Experience

The guy is full of BS in the photocopy shop. He was just looking to take you for a ride and fleece you of your money. I have been to Savannakhet four times now and ignore these guys in the copy shops as I have everything prepared before going. I have never has a problem and never get trouble from Immigration officers when leaving and re-entering at the land crossing into Myanmar. Glad that you stuck to your guns and did not give him any money, some people are more gullible if it is their first time.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2018 at 10:21 AM, Scoobydoo1 said:

I asked the dude who is in charge of the photocopying machine how easy it is to get a non O

He is a Laotion working in a photocopying shop and has probably never had to have a Thai Visa , why do you expect him to be an expert ?

Hes probably just telling you , what other felangs have told him and theres the high probability of that info being inaccurate 

50 minutes ago, SimonD said:

Since when has a photocopy of the Laos visa been required?

In my experience, the consulate usually wants a copy of the Laos entry stamp (not the visa). On one occasion, however, they did not ask for it. Most consulates seem to want the entry stamp copy. My best theory on why is so there is a permanent record on file that the passport's owner is really in Laos, and this was not someone getting a visa without traveling to Laos. Who knows?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SimonD said:

Since when has a photocopy of the Laos visa been required?

I've never been asked for it, been there annually since 2009. The same with entry stamp.

Edited by drjden
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SimonD said:

I was last there in Jan. 2017 and it wasn't asked for. Think I'll skip it and save a visit to the photocopy 'agent'...

Thanks for the replies.

iI applied yesterday for Multi-Non O visa. No needed copy of Lao stamp. Business as usual. Only 20 people . All done in a couple of minutes. Pick up today 2 pm. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

Is that a requirement that you need a copy of your laos visa to get a thai visa? seems odd to me

Never a copy of the visa, but sometimes they seem to want a copy of the entry stamp (to confirm you entered the country using that passport).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, beechbum said:

Top tips: Always good practice to have a pic of your spouse and yourself in front of your house with the house number visible in the pic.

Why?

I have never heard of anybody being asked for it when applying for a non-o visa. It is certainly needed to apply for an extension of stay at immigration.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Why?

I have never heard of anybody being asked for it when applying for a non-o visa. It is certainly needed to apply for an extension of stay at immigration.

I have, had them ask me at Savan 2 years ago, was just a tip and very easily done just in case.

41 minutes ago, Woldenersen said:

Sorry for offtopic question!

Il go to savanakhet soon and i wonder what currency i can use over there for hotel etc?

You need Thai baht to pay for the Thai visa. For the hotel and meals, you may be quoted a price in kip, US dollars or (less often) baht. You can almost always pay in any of these currencies (usually at a somewhat reasonable exchange rate). You will most likely get change in kip which I suggest you try to spend as you receive it.

51 minutes ago, Woldenersen said:

Sorry for offtopic question!

Il go to savanakhet soon and i wonder what currency i can use over there for hotel etc?

Change your money into Kip at a bank/kiosk .

You lose about 10-20 % when you pay in Baht

Banks gave 25 000 + Kip  for 100 Baht

Shops /hotels were giving 21 000 Kip

Just got my o non imm marriage. The queue before opening barely reached the road. Only ones having problems, were those on tourist visas. Those were asked to prove financial backup. As 18 months ago, I was asked to show my KR3.

Sent from my iris 505 using Tapatalk