Foreign Minister says Thailand making progress on international stage

webfact

32 minutes ago, Eligius said:

One of the best posts (above) in a long while on what is the difference between the Thai junta and governments elsewhere. Well written, Baboon. Powerful stuff! Every word you write here is true. And in case people don't remember the incident with the sandwich: it was of a young man being hauled off by the thought police for daring to eat a sandwich and read Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four at the same time in a shopping mall! See here: 

Yes, I remember that.

I don't know if it was him specifically or someone else, openly reading 1984 while eating a sandwich. The press reported they were charged with 'eating a sandwich with wilful intent'.

Hence I have since used that phrase cynically: 'thinking with wilful intent', was the last time.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Yes, I remember that.

I don't know if it was him specifically or someone else, openly reading 1984 while eating a sandwich. The press reported they were charged with 'eating a sandwich with wilful intent'.

Hence I have since used that phrase cynically: 'thinking with wilful intent', was the last time.

Yes 'thinking with willful intent' says it all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Yes, I remember that.

Actually it was 'Eating a sandwich with POLITICAL intent'. Now then; given that there was no such law on the statute books, how could he be charged with it?

But then there is no law in this country. Just the arbitrary exercise of power. 

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

This is my post where I used it, parodying 1984:

Relax Bluesofa,I am on your side.

Us Oceanians stand together on this one.

Unless you turn out to be a Eurasian which means that I will have to check it out with the Ministry of Truth..?

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Unless you turn out to be a Eurasian which means that I will have to check it out with the Ministry of Truth..?

I did ponder it for a few seconds, but the reply implanted from thought police said it wasn't necessary.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Just checked on the 1984 map and Thailand comes under 'disputed' - what a surprise!

image.png.8756aa53c39ee9467af6eb4a9ba28f5f.png

• Like 1

Just now, bluesofa said:

I did ponder it for a few seconds, but the reply implanted from thought police said it wasn't necessary.

Good, citizen!Everyone seems a mite tetchy this morning..?

I think I will take my copy and just sit by the river Orwell for an hour or so thinking thoughts of political/willlful intent which everyone will completely ignore.

By the way have you ever read John Brunner's 'Stand on Zanzibar'?He approaches the whole thing from a slightly different angle..

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Good, citizen!Everyone seems a mite tetchy this morning..?

I think I will take my copy and just sit by the river Orwell for an hour or so thinking thoughts of political/willlful intent which everyone will completely ignore.

By the way have you ever read John Brunner's 'Stand on Zanzibar'?He approaches the whole thing from a slightly different angle..

I'm just looking for it now. Thanks.

• Like 1