On an Education visa but side lines selling cars

Came across this interesting creature last week.

Been here four years and middle European. 

Has Thai partner and child.

He is on an ED, but buys and sells about 15 cars a year.

Very plausible until you ask a few too many questions. 

Pattaya based.

Technically, does he need a work permit?

Or is it a hobby?

I know he is rorting the system...

• Confused 1

Not sure but even UK will class you as a dealer if you 'repair/service sell more than 3 or 4 cars a year'

Might be wrong but I can imagine the UK tax dept getting interested.

Obviously you don't need a work permit in UK, I added that before anyone jumps on it, and of course you are a UK citizen.

Trying to think of any other small points that I should add but should be understood as being covered in the above. ?

• Confused 2

21 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

UK as in United kingdom? What on earth does the UK have to do with it??

Just a comparison.

PS 

I love fried chicken.

Always wondered why people need to get involved with 'what's he doing' is it legal is it not legal blah blah blah

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Yes, but he wouldn't get one.

He probably names his wife in the logbooks/

This is what brought it to light.

He buys cars.. So I have now found out.

Doesn't do the transfer to his name.

Just holds onto the papers. And blue book. 

When he sells them, it's a transfer from the person who he bought from. Not him.

Colleague bought a car from him.

He took them to DLT Pattaya and straight to an agent.

One he has used more than ten times she tells my partner in Thai. 

It was in general discussion that he mentioned the ED visa and his Thai lady. 

Shify little shit..

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Just a comparison.

PS 

I love fried chicken.

Always wondered why people need to get involved with 'what's he doing' is it legal is it not legal blah blah blah

Reason is..

He sold a car and all the usual sob stories.l

Very helpful, but never gave or send receipt.

Declines my friends calls and I think blocked his number now.

Heaps of  issues with the  big baht.

That's why we asked the lady at DLT about him..

Just trying to alleviate some other persons pain down the track. 

Enough scammers in Pattaya. 

Correct. 

Race, creed or colour have no impact whatsoever. 

Shifty little thieving shits will treat everyone equal. 

As easy targets..

If he wants to be a student fine.

If he wants to be a car dealer, fine too.

But live up to your moral obligations.

And don't rip people off.

16 minutes ago, overherebc said:

So what you're really saying is that because he isn't of your nationality it's a bad thing to do and perhaps you're looking for someone on here to say you should report him.

Sad.

That's what I thought. He doesn't seem to fit in as a  "middle European". Mind your own business would be the right advice. 

That's why we asked the lady at DLT about him..    priceless. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Correct. 

As easy targets..

As other's have mentioned in their replies "mind your own business"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Yep agree,

Buy a 2nd hand car from an individual, effectively what has happened,  and you get what you pay for.

What's the expression in Russian? ah, remember now,

Toughky Shitzky.

I wouldn't call a Russian a middle European, more Hungarians, Romanians, etc..jealousy has no borders. 

26 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

That's what I thought. He doesn't seem to fit in as a  "middle European". Mind your own business would be the right advice. 

That's why we asked the lady at DLT about him..    priceless. 

Yes, anybody looking for social responsibility on TVF is at the wrong address.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dallen52 said:

Doesn't do the transfer to his name.

Just holds onto the papers. And blue book. 

When he sells them, it's a transfer from the person who he bought from. Not him.

That's what most dealers do..no point transferring into their name...just waste of time/money as the person who eventually buys the vehicle will (should) do the name change...but still some don't and it can be a problem if you bought a foreigner registered vehicle because the original owner might have left the country  by the time the new owner "gets round" to updating the book.

but never gave or send receipt.

Always get a receipt of sale from the seller  upon handing over money.

1035938390_buysellA4.thumb.jpg.83045bad089203903a390358f43ddbcb.jpg

• Confused 1

Correct. 

As easy targets..

How is he ripping people off ? he is paying the price for the car that the seller wants, the people he sells the car to pay the price they want to , I think they would look around and know the price the car should sell for, he is not putting his name in the transfer, so is ripping the transport off for the transfer cost, nothing wrong with doing two things to make money, in Australia I was a motor dealer and restaurateur , but did all very legal . had a dealers licence and all the correct licences for the restaurant. why not do the two things ? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, johng said:

That's what most dealers do..no point transferring into their name...just waste of time/money as the person who eventually buys the vehicle will (should) do the name change...but still some don't and it can be a problem if you bought a foreigner registered vehicle because the original owner might have left the country  by the time the new owner "gets round" to updating the book.

Shouldn't affect the name change, since all papers including power of attorney will be signed and ready on first sale.

9 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Reason is..

It seems that the people condemning you did not pay this attention to  this part.

I understand your point. However, In hindsight, you should have just reinforced common sense by advising people not to purchase a vehicle from  a person like this. dumb it down, otherwise some  people don't get it.

The buyer will have little recourse since this is an illegal transaction. The fact that the chap will claim to be an "agent" is BS. He is arranging the sale and acting as the salesperson and is remunerated accordingly. The rule is that one cannot seek legal protection or relief when one enters into an illegal activity and the activity goes wrong. Buyers who transact with this  man are engaged in an illegal activity and despite their potential claim of not knowing he was not authorized to sell cars will have little recourse in the event that something goes wrong.

Hopefully he is caught at some point because he has probably ripped off a few stupid people who  thought they could trust him because he was European.

• Thanks 1

A work permit is the least of his possible issues.  Remember the article several years ago now about the foreign guy that over the span of a few years had built a sailboat/yacht, then sold it.  He made a profit and the shit hit the fan. 

7 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

It seems that the people condemning you did not pay this attention to  this part.

I understand your point. However, In hindsight, you should have just reinforced common sense by advising people not to purchase a vehicle from  a person like this. dumb it down, otherwise some  people don't get it.

The buyer will have little recourse since this is an illegal transaction. The fact that the chap will claim to be an "agent" is BS. He is arranging the sale and acting as the salesperson and is remunerated accordingly. The rule is that one cannot seek legal protection or relief when one enters into an illegal activity and the activity goes wrong. Buyers who transact with this  man are engaged in an illegal activity and despite their potential claim of not knowing he was not authorized to sell cars will have little recourse in the event that something goes wrong.

Hopefully he is caught at some point because he has probably ripped off a few stupid people who  thought they could trust him because he was European.

Him not having a workpermit does not make it an illegal transaction.

Buying a car from someone is not illegal.

5 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

A work permit is the least of his possible issues.  Remember the article several years ago now about the foreign guy that over the span of a few years had built a sailboat/yacht, then sold it.  He made a profit and the shit hit the fan. 

No.

He build it to sell it, so he was working. Nothing to do at all with buying a car from someone.

20 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Reason is..

You seem to be adjusting your story as it goes along.

22 hours ago, overherebc said:

I guess it has to do with abiding the law, and law abiding people/citizens. Just wonder where you and your private law book draws the line?

For the answer to OP question: Yes he must have a work permit. In this case that must be connected to a registered car business, with a minumum of 4 Thai persons employed. As he is working right now, he will not get that. What he is doing is therefore illegal.

Edited by Get Real
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

This place is full of older guys who are scratching to live every month and they hate the fact that someone might be doing something on the QT to make a few extra baht and for some reason get enjoyment out of telling tales out of school.

This place is full of older guys scratching their arse, whilst sat downing a few beers at the local bar because their bored sh*tless.

Nothing better to talk about than other people, even those working legally to earn a few extra baht.

It's called 'jealousy'.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

This place is full of older guys scratching their arse, whilst sat downing a few beers at the local bar because their bored sh*tless.

Nothing better to talk about than other people, even those working legally to earn a few extra baht.

It's called 'jealousy'.

You should try the following to prove your point, I agree with you by the way.

Sit in the bar with a few from around your own area, they call themselves friends, just quietly mention that your extension/visa has run out, it hasn't, but just tell one of them quietly and say keep it to yourself.

It only takes 2 days to go around every bar in the area.

• Haha 2