smoked mackerel

I am trying to include some more fatty fish in my diet, but I don't really like fish that much. Now I am eating smoked salmon and i like it just a bit expensive to eat every day. Has anyone seen something like smoked mackerel. We had that back in the Netherlands and I liked it. 

An other question, i bought salmon trout in the Makro... but i googled a bit and have never been able to find salmon trout.. could it be a con that it is just trout ?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good idea, there's many kinds of fish in various glass cans,

meant to be eaten either on hard bread or with boiled potatoes,

should look like these

https://www.google.com/search?q=inlagd+sill+abba&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj9u8rL36fbAhVBWH0KHWqhAvcQ7AkIPw&biw=1248&bih=577

you would probably fancy the one with red onion and peppers

Makro has plenty of Mackerel ,not smoked but,they have it from

Japan or Norway ,the Norwegian is better,you could get some of

that Liquid smoke,little bottles they sell in supermarkets.

Don't advise eating those small tins of local sardines,mackerel,as

i read a report from Indonesia the other day,where they tested 65

brands of tinned fish and all but 6 contained thread worms (live).

regards worgeordie

11 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

scary hell

There are several 'how to' videos on youtube that you may find useful Rob, including a DIY smoker made from a cardboard box. Another suggestion would be to checkout 'Samui Smokehouse' on FB to see if they deliver off the island.

HTH

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

Yes I found the Mackerel in the Makro most are in tomato sauce and stuff. I am trying to have as little sugar as possible tomato sauce is full of it plus I am not a real fish person but smoked Mackerel i could eat. I know I am a hard eater. 

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

There are several 'how to' videos on youtube that you may find useful Rob, including a DIY smoker made from a cardboard box. Another suggestion would be to checkout 'Samui Smokehouse' on FB to see if they deliver off the island.

HTH

Thanks I will look into it, just trying to improve my diet a bit and tough you can (and I do) eat fish oil capsules it is said its better when it comes directly from the fish. My problem is just that I am a bit picky when it comes to fish. (cod, salmon, smoked mackerel, some flat fish but that is about it.. sardines tried it... did not really like it, oh yes I do eat tuna but its not considered a fatty fish)

tesco has frozen salmon steaks and fillets...I usually steam some frozen dumplings then toss a fillet on top, cover and turn off the heat and ready in a few minutes...quite nice but I always preferred salmon to mackerel and plenty oily...

dumpling dipping sauce with soy sauce, rice vinegar and mirin...some folks like to add a bit of sugar...

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Yes I found the Mackerel in the Makro most are in tomato sauce and stuff. I am trying to have as little sugar as possible tomato sauce is full of it plus I am not a real fish person but smoked Mackerel i could eat. I know I am a hard eater. 

I meant frozen Mackerel,its not expensive,but you would have to prepare it yourself.

but that's not difficult,and at least you will know what your eating.

regards worgeordie

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

This scared the shit out of me so I googled and got to a Jakarta Post article. "Father Jack" brand imported from China..

I have 2 small tins of Sealect brand a week and nuke them so I should be OK.......I will check the labels for country of origin in the future..

Thanks very much..

16 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

This scared the shit out of me so I googled and got to a Jakarta Post article. "Father Jack" brand imported from China..

I have 2 small tins of Sealect brand a week and nuke them so I should be OK.......I will check the labels for country of origin in the future..

Thanks very much..

I really am feeling quite nauseous at the moment so checked straight away..

Pumpui brand = Thai

Mongut Talay = Vietnamese

41 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Tops sometimes has Waitrose kippers (frozen). I think they are an oily fish.

Far too salty for anyone with health issues.

Re Sardines; Ayam Brand (red/yellow) are fine if you wash the tomato sauce off and replace with olive oil. 

Ok found something in the Tops, not sure what it was but it is called Saba its mackerel species and i think it was smoked or baked it was actually quite ok. It was not expensive and I think i can eat it again.  It was pre prepared so not bad 89 bt or so. 

Salmon Trout is Steelhead, I believe, while Salmo Trutta is the Brown Trout. Not sure I'd believe that to be the case here. Being that both Salmon and Trout are from the Salmo family, it might just be farmed Rainbow?

Hi Rob,

The fine smoked fish from the Netherlands might be difficult to get here, but i could recommend the Japanese vinegard mackerel from the Makro. They normally store it in the freezers together with the other Japanese products like dimsum. Price point is around 90 baht a pack (see pictures).

Salmon trout is just trout which has been fed coloring agents. The "keuringsdienst van waarde" had an episode about it and not a chef would serve it in their restaurants. Google for "keuringsdienst van waarde zalmforel" and you can find the clips on youtube.

For fatty fish i prefer salmon, smoked (makro), salted (ikea), or just cooked by me.

20180529_084257.jpg

20180529_084303.jpg

21 hours ago, robblok said:

An other question, i bought salmon trout in the Makro... but i googled a bit and have never been able to find salmon trout.. could it be a con that it is just trout ?

We have 'salmon trout' in Australia.. it isn't a real salmon... but is high in Omega 3s.. small ones are better than big ones.. big ones can be dry and course.. 

Here is a link that tells you about them:  http://goodfishbadfish.com.au/?fish=australian-salmon

I quite like the 'plaa tuu'  .Thai 'short mackerel'.. you see them in almost every market.. sold in small round baskets.. they are boiled in sea water to preserve them for travel.. they may not look all that appetizing or hygienic the way they are presented but they are tasty and again high in Omega 3s..  My wife deep fries them which kills any bacteria that they may pick up along their journey to the market.. There is a Thai recipe that I like as well.. 'nam prik plaa tuu'... the mackerel are deep fried and then the fish is taken off the bones and pounded a mortar with chillies,  ( to taste!.. one chilli for me)..garlic, shallots  and lime juice.. eaten with rice and slices of cucumber.. 

Plaa Tuu:   https://www.travelfish.org/beginners_detail/thailand/93

Recipe for Nam prik plaa tuu...   http://siamsizzles.com/tuna-chilli-dip-recipe-nam-prik-pla-tu/

Makro here in Kalasin sell Yellow fin tuna.. they usually have some cut up in steaks or fillets or you can get larger full fillets in the freezer section .. not cheap but a very nice fish.. to my taste anyway..   Can be fried in a pan but I often marinate in olive oil, s&p..& herbs (oregano & parsley.. or what you like) wrap in foil and bake in my small oven along with potatoes and other vegies (pumpkin, sweet potato etc).. nice easy meal to prepare and cook.. 

14 hours ago, robblok said:

Ok found something in the Tops, not sure what it was but it is called Saba its mackerel species and i think it was smoked or baked it was actually quite ok. It was not expensive and I think i can eat it again.  It was pre prepared so not bad 89 bt or so. 

The saba fish you can find at every Thai market.It is a mackerel fish.They prepare it on the BBQ and put some herbs insite.Taste good

and not expensive around 50 baht.

Sometimes when I have some sparetime I smoke the Norwegian mackerel myself,I have a smoker and make smoked sausage also(rookworst)

9 Gedane arbeid.jpg

11 en na 2 minuten.jpg

4 minutes ago, dvg said:

The saba fish you can find at every Thai market.It is a mackerel fish.They prepare it on the BBQ and put some herbs insite.Taste good

and not expensive around 50 baht.

Sometimes when I have some sparetime I smoke the Norwegian mackerel myself,I have a smoker and make smoked sausage also(rookworst)

Looks great, did you import a smoker (getting a smoker is not the problem i think) but getting a supply of wood shavings might be. I like to make sure i don't have to import too much. 

But well done on your effort looks good. 

8 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

We have 'salmon trout' in Australia.. it isn't a real salmon... but is high in Omega 3s.. small ones are better than big ones.. big ones can be dry and course.. 

Here is a link that tells you about them:  http://goodfishbadfish.com.au/?fish=australian-salmon

I quite like the 'plaa tuu'  .Thai 'short mackerel'.. you see them in almost every market.. sold in small round baskets.. they are boiled in sea water to preserve them for travel.. they may not look all that appetizing or hygienic the way they are presented but they are tasty and again high in Omega 3s..  My wife deep fries them which kills any bacteria that they may pick up along their journey to the market.. There is a Thai recipe that I like as well.. 'nam prik plaa tuu'... the mackerel are deep fried and then the fish is taken off the bones and pounded a mortar with chillies,  ( to taste!.. one chilli for me)..garlic, shallots  and lime juice.. eaten with rice and slices of cucumber.. 

Plaa Tuu:   https://www.travelfish.org/beginners_detail/thailand/93

Recipe for Nam prik plaa tuu...   http://siamsizzles.com/tuna-chilli-dip-recipe-nam-prik-pla-tu/

Makro here in Kalasin sell Yellow fin tuna.. they usually have some cut up in steaks or fillets or you can get larger full fillets in the freezer section .. not cheap but a very nice fish.. to my taste anyway..   Can be fried in a pan but I often marinate in olive oil, s&p..& herbs (oregano & parsley.. or what you like) wrap in foil and bake in my small oven along with potatoes and other vegies (pumpkin, sweet potato etc).. nice easy meal to prepare and cook.. 

I know those plaa tuu seen them and i don't think i can eat them. But what i found now is good. Just tried to get my diet a bit better as before. I workout a lot am in great shape just want to push the limits and good foods are important. 

1 hour ago, Bob12345 said:

Hi Rob,

The fine smoked fish from the Netherlands might be difficult to get here, but i could recommend the Japanese vinegard mackerel from the Makro. They normally store it in the freezers together with the other Japanese products like dimsum. Price point is around 90 baht a pack (see pictures).

Salmon trout is just trout which has been fed coloring agents. The "keuringsdienst van waarde" had an episode about it and not a chef would serve it in their restaurants. Google for "keuringsdienst van waarde zalmforel" and you can find the clips on youtube.

For fatty fish i prefer salmon, smoked (makro), salted (ikea), or just cooked by me.

Thanks, will look for it in our local Makro, just trying to add some fish to my diet, I have read that fish oil might not have the same benefits as real fish. So that is the reason, i don't particularly like fish but a good diet is the base of a good health if you combine it with exercise like you and I do. 

My cut is going well, but yesterday i crashed.. after my loaded carries I had to lie down for more than an hour. I traced it back to low salt in my diet. As i cook al my food myself and never add salt, and the foods I eat are low in salt. After I added some sea salt to my kefir and ate a smoked mackerel i improved a lot and today i was a bit heavier (water of course) but my energy was up and my loaded caries were easy I added an extra round and speed. 

I just sweat a lot when doing the loaded carries in the morning and also during my training. I do supplement with calcium and magnesium and potassium but never with salt, i knew about it but just forgot. 

17 minutes ago, robblok said:

I know those plaa tuu seen them and i don't think i can eat them. But what i found now is good. Just tried to get my diet a bit better as before. I workout a lot am in great shape just want to push the limits and good foods are important. 

...if you are trying to improve your diet for health reasons.. it is probably best to avoid smoked or heavily salted fish.. fresh is best.. good luck..

10 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

...if you are trying to improve your diet for health reasons.. it is probably best to avoid smoked or heavily salted fish.. fresh is best.. good luck..

Actually salted fish is what i needed, I have too little salt in my diet yesterday i suffered from the effects of it. I know the general advice  is not eating too much salt but that is for normal people. I take 2 20 kg weights in my hands and walk a bit more then 1500 meters with them. I sweat a lot then, also I don't eat any processed food and prepare all my own meals and by mistake (it was just not in my food choices) I ate too little salt. Yesterday that ment that i had to lie down after my exercise for an hour and lost power in brain and body for the whole day. After adding some salt to my food yesterday i improved a lot. So I know I need more salt. I workout 7 days  a week with those weights and then 4 more sessions in my gym. So I am not exactly the average person. If i were to eat loads of Thai food bought from shops then yes you would be right.

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

Actually salted fish is what i needed, I have too little salt in my diet yesterday i suffered from the effects of it. I know the general advice  is not eating too much salt but that is for normal people. I take 2 20 kg weights in my hands and walk a bit more then 1500 meters with them. I sweat a lot then, also I don't eat any processed food and prepare all my own meals and by mistake (it was just not in my food choices) I ate too little salt. Yesterday that ment that i had to lie down after my exercise for an hour and lost power in brain and body for the whole day. After adding some salt to my food yesterday i improved a lot. So I know I need more salt. I workout 7 days  a week with those weights and then 4 more sessions in my gym. So I am not exactly the average person. If i were to eat loads of Thai food bought from shops then yes you would be right.

Do you check your blood pressure?

Archived