Why the English Fry Up is so symbolic of the Western Expat in Pattaya

webfact

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:31 PM, transam said:

English Trans perfect "English breakfast"....

Grapefruit with a little sugar...followed bye....

Rashers of bacon, fried bread using the bacon fat, soft fried eggs, fried tomatoes and a sausage (not frankfurters)...Perhaps a few baked beans but not bothered....

followed bye toast and Marmalade with a few cups of tea...:stoner:

Wish I hadn't read that! Now I'll have to go out for a big brekkie at my fav restaurant.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 6:00 PM, KittenKong said:

Well, you could always ask for more sachets.

Personally I assumed that the sachets were for hygiene purposes, and also possibly as proof that the sauce was authentic. Those bottles and pumps you get in the HiSo places you prefer could have anything in them, and probably do.

I dislike the sachets because when I open them, I get sauce on my hands, which isn't very hygienic.

I've been using the sauce bottles and pumps in LOS for decades without problems. I very much doubt that Maccers etc are using anything but the genuine article. Of course the refillable bottles could have anything, but like I said, no problem in decades.

On 6/1/2018 at 6:00 PM, KittenKong said:

Well, you could always ask for more sachets.

Personally I assumed that the sachets were for hygiene purposes, and also possibly as proof that the sauce was authentic. Those bottles and pumps you get in the HiSo places you prefer could have anything in them, and probably do.

It's known as portion-control.

I agree in a way, I would want 2 or 3 sachets on a good fry-up.

However, haven't we all known or seen the guy who empties almost half a bottle of ketchup on every meal?! (The sauce used might cost nearly as much as the 99 Baht brekkie??).

It's a new development at Retox, they always used to have a bottle of HP & Heinz Ketchup on the table. At £2-£3 a bottle, not cheap!

Over in Phnom Penh it's common to get new sauce in old Heinz Ketchup bottles. You can tell its an old bottle by the tattered label!???

On 6/1/2018 at 1:04 PM, DrTuner said:

How many brits are left in Pattaya anyway? Older pensioneers are dropping like flies, families are escaping the abysmal education system and good old mongers seem a scarce resource.

Other than them, I don't think I've ever heard any one jumping with excitement over British grub. Most like myself avoid it and go for better Italian, Thai, US, German etc. choices.

Hardly a Pattaya symbol.

You are joking surely,  there are places to get english food more than any other combined. 

I don’t jump for joy over your country’s food either. You are just jealous of the english food available, or you would just dismiss it, and move along. But you just have to have a Brit food bash...

whats your native meal? Lets have a bash at yours.. if anyone has even heard of it. ??

Edited by Scooby and Puppy

33 minutes ago, Scooby and Puppy said:

You are joking surely,  there are places to get english food more than any other combined. 

I don’t jump for joy over your country’s food either. You are just jealous of the english food available, or you would just dismiss it, and move along. But you just have to have a Brit food bash...

whats your native meal? Lets have a bash at yours.. if anyone has even heard of it. ??

Would you care to place a wager on that?  Shall we add up the MacDonald's, KFC's, Burger King, Sizzler and Dunkin Donuts as opposed to the handful of British pubs in Thailand?

Edited by Rarebear

On 6/1/2018 at 1:04 PM, DrTuner said:

How many brits are left in Pattaya anyway? Older pensioneers are dropping like flies, families are escaping the abysmal education system and good old mongers seem a scarce resource.

Other than them, I don't think I've ever heard any one jumping with excitement over British grub. Most like myself avoid it and go for better Italian, Thai, US, German etc. choices.

Hardly a Pattaya symbol.

Well, the US passes-off British Angus beef as the best in the World, and claims that it's American.

Cheddar cheese anyone, the biggest selling type of cheese in the World, happens to be British (Not French!! Sacre bleu!!).

Also, If I don't hear people getting excited about chlorinated chicken, plasticy cheese & chocolate and crappy beer that the US is quite well known for.

As I said before, we can do a hatchet job on any countries cuisine, when Thailand promotes Thai cuisine, I don't think it's insects & chicks still in the eggs are the things that they are advertising.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Well, the US passes-off British Angus beef as the best in the World, and claims that it's American.

Cheddar cheese anyone, the biggest selling type of cheese in the World, happens to be British (Not French!! Sacre bleu!!).

Also, If I don't hear people getting excited about chlorinated chicken, plasticy cheese & chocolate and crappy beer that the US is quite well known for.

As I said before, we can do a hatchet job on any countries cuisine, when Thailand promotes Thai cuisine, I don't think it's insects & chicks still in the eggs are the things that they are advertising.

Angus raised in the US is American beef. They've had Angus cattle there for 150 years. Cheddar  made in US and Canada is American or Canadian cheddar.

You Brits get so touchy about things first started in England and then exported to the colonies, especially the language.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, duanebigsby said:

You Brits get so touchy about things first started in England and then exported to the colonies, especially the language.

Maybe there is some symbolism after all, as Pattaya has fallen from it's glory days, so has the British empire shrunk to a small island. Sad!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duanebigsby said:

Angus raised in the US is American beef. They've had Angus cattle there for 150 years. Cheddar  made in US and Canada is American or Canadian cheddar.

Nah, British origin. We could import Angus beef to Thailand , and then claim it's Thai, in a similar way. (My home town's Hereford, you lot probably claim those cattle as American too!).

As I said, America produces lots of sh*t food, and then has a go at other country's.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Nah, British origin. We could import Angus beef to Thailand , and then claim it's Thai, in a similar way. (My home town's Hereford, you lot probably claim those cattle as American too!).

As I said, America produces lots of sh*t food, and then has a go at other country's.

My family came to Canada  from the UK at about the same time as both Angus and Hereford cattle, about 150 years ago.  Am I British or Canadian?

Is California wine French because the grape varieties were imported 200 years ago?

Same as the beef, grown in USA, butchered in USA, it's American beef.

Both USA and UK produce some <deleted> food and some really good food.

PS. I love a good fry up. Fried tomato at breakfast is the my favourite idea to come out of UK and Ireland.

5 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

My family came to Canada  from the UK at about the same time as both Angus and Hereford cattle, about 150 years ago.  Am I British or Canadian?

Is California wine French because the grape varieties were imported 200 years ago?

PS. I love a good fry up. Fried tomato at breakfast is the my favourite idea to come out of UK and Ireland.

Fried tomato is big in Iranian food. Probably the UK breakfast is actually Persian, innit?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

You're Canadian and I argue with asians all the time whose ancestors came over from China generations ago but still insist they are Chinese. Nonsense!

On 6/6/2018 at 4:05 PM, Rarebear said:

Would you care to place a wager on that?  Shall we add up the MacDonald's, KFC's, Burger King, Sizzler and Dunkin Donuts as opposed to the handful of British pubs in Thailand?

You forgot the ice cream places.

On 6/6/2018 at 9:05 PM, Rarebear said:

Perhaps in Thailand as a whole.....but this thread is about Pattaya, and there is more places serving variations of the English breakfast on the darkside alone than the combined total of all these others in Pattaya.

6 hours ago, LennyW said:

Perhaps in Thailand as a whole.....but this thread is about Pattaya, and there is more places serving variations of the English breakfast on the darkside alone than the combined total of all these others in Pattaya.

In your dreams.  Add up KFC, Dunkin donuts, Dairy Queen, Swensens ice cream, MacDonald's, Burger King, American copied Pizza place and all the places serving variations of American hamburgers and fries.  Also most of the places serving English breakfast also have American breakfast on the menu. 

To be honest we should look at places actually serving American food and actually serving a British breakfast.  Hot dogs instead of sausage automatically should knock a place out of contention to be called British. 

In terms of sales I'd estimate any one MacDonalds does more money volume than all the places specializing in British Breakfasts.  In other words only one restaurant serves more American food than to 20 or (whatever number) serving British breakfasts.

38 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

In your dreams.  Add up KFC, Dunkin donuts, Dairy Queen, Swensens ice cream, MacDonald's, Burger King, American copied Pizza place and all the places serving variations of American hamburgers and fries.  Also most of the places serving English breakfast also have American breakfast on the menu. 

To be honest we should look at places actually serving American food and actually serving a British breakfast.  Hot dogs instead of sausage automatically should knock a place out of contention to be called British. 

In terms of sales I'd estimate any one MacDonalds does more money volume than all the places specializing in British Breakfasts.  In other words only one restaurant serves more American food than to 20 or (whatever number) serving British breakfasts.

I hope you don't regard that pathetic offering from Macs to be a real breakfast. A real breakfast keeps me going all day, not till morning tea time.

40 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

Good grief, It's THAILAND. They serve any sort of food they want to, and it's still a THAI restaurant. Given that you can't get decent bacon here, and few serve black puddings etc, it's just a version of an English Breakfast. Who cares if it's a hot dog sausage or one made in England and flown over?

It's just food. Calling it an English breakfast only serves to differentiate it from a Continental breakfast, or an American breakfast. The actual contents of the breakfast differ depending on the individual restaurant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rarebear said:

You obviously missed that completely, i am talking about within Pattaya, and about number of places not revenue turnover.

I was responding to Scooby and Puppy  who wrote, "You are joking surely,  there are places to get english food more than any other combined." 

Which is of course nonsense as American food is by a large margin the biggest foreign food  seller in Thailand in general and Pattaya specifically.  How does a reasonable man measure food volume or popularity or success?  Sales of course.  Let me repeat.  In Thailand or Pattaya the amount of American food sold is second only to Thai food.  British food is down on the list somewhere after Japanese.   Let me give you an example.  There may be more mom and pop convenience stores in Pattaya but the largest and most successful is 7/11.  There may be 1000 restaurants selling one English breakfast a day as opposed to MacDonald's selling 1000 dollars of American food an hour. 

13 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

Let me repeat.  In Thailand or Pattaya the amount of American food sold is second only to Thai food.  British food is down on the list somewhere after Japanese.

The funny thing about that is, though, speaking as an American, a lot of Thais I've spoken with -- and I mean regular Thais, not bargirl scene types -- have no idea that the American origin places they frequent are American origin. They think Swensen's and KFC and Pizza Hut and Subway, among others, are Thai companies -- which they are in a sense, as local franchises of food companies that did in fact originate in the U.S.  Some, they probably do know, like McDonalds, is not Thai origin. But a lot of the others, no clue. They think they originated in Thailand.

After all, Thailand IS the center of the known world and universe...

:WPFflags:

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I hope you don't regard that pathetic offering from Macs to be a real breakfast. A real breakfast keeps me going all day, not till morning tea time.

MacDonald's sells about 6 billion dollars per year in breakfast food.  You want to give me an idea of how much is sold at British restaurants in total for that meal period. 

9 hours ago, Rarebear said:

what is it about a macdonalds breakfast that is specifically american?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:

what is it about a macdonalds breakfast that is specifically american?

I was responding to Scooby and Puppy  who wrote, "You are joking surely,  there are places to get english food more than any other combined."

When another poster decided to dig his hole of delusion deeper by posting, "Perhaps in Thailand as a whole.....but this thread is about Pattaya, and there is more places serving variations of the English breakfast on the darkside alone than the combined total of all these others in Pattaya."

But, to answer your question 1.  It was designed by Americans. 2.  Served in 37 thousand American restaurants worldwide.  3.  Uses American ingredients.  Is a MacDonald's breakfast American?  Is a MacDonald's hamburger American?  Is Coke American?  I'd say yes.  Do Americans eat hot dogs for breakfast (American breakfast)? No.  What is American fried rice in Pattaya?  Something not eaten in America?  British breakfast at the Pig and Whistle?  I'd say yes but not at all the buffet at the Lek or Nana plaza hotel.   

• Haha 1

On 6/7/2018 at 3:00 PM, duanebigsby said:

Fried tomato at breakfast is the my favourite idea to come out of UK and Ireland.

That is just wrong. Frying tomatoes should be a crime against humanity.  On a similar scale to those sugary baked beans!