Why the English Fry Up is so symbolic of the Western Expat in Pattaya

webfact

1 minute ago, Rarebear said:

I have google translate so it's no problem

Google translate - that is mostly for laughs.

You ever hear of Norway. Most McD's are run by MENA immigrants...

I have to agree with the poster above who said that at least Burger King's burgers taste like food.

7 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

That is not what your health inspectors say.

http://matportalen.no/smilefjes/sok?q=mc

If you could read Norwegian you would know that Norwegian food HSE regulations are a lot more stringent than your American standards, and the above link only shows the franchise holders ability to follow Norwegian standards.

I fail to see what this has to do with the topic though, but you wanted to make this a discussion about english food into a discussion about McD.

1 hour ago, Rarebear said:

How long ago did you email them? Might want to try Line.  Do you have your receipt number? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=476InwbPFYQ

I think the video explains why the cheese does not melt.  Comes off the grill at 160 F and served around 90F

I have been eating Bigmacs for decades in my own country with no problems, l was one of the first customers in Ubon when it opened. In all that time they have not got it right even though we always ask HOT..I rarely go in there now though Mrs.Trans did bring one home and l stuck it in the microwave for a few seconds which did melt the cheese..

On 6/9/2018 at 4:41 PM, watcharacters said:

Glad that shit shoveling job was never a part of my regime.

A euphemism I use for any heavy manual work (on a cold winter day too!), maybe not quite so many people do that nowadays. A bowl of cereal or a few pieces of toast ain't gonna last you till lunchtime!

On 5/29/2018 at 11:43 AM, poanoi said:

that dish is only representative of english i think,

It is, actually, I reckon that no human should eat anything like that. This thread sheds a lot of light on the physical attributes of a large proportion of Pattaya expats. Rillettes with red wine for breakfast would be heath food compared to this c...p.

Edited by KiChakayan

10 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

It is, actually, I reckon that no human should eat anything like that. This thread sheds a lot of light on the physical attributes of a large proportion of Pattaya expats. Rillettes with red wine for breakfast would be heath food compared to this c...p.

Depends if the food is fried in sat fats or not.

Otherwise, a traditional English breakfast, is moderately healthy. Far better than drinking alcohol early morning.

Some recent off topic posts that hijacked the topic have been removed, the topic is about:

Why the English Fry Up is so symbolic of the Western Expat in Pattaya

It is not about McDonalds and US Health Standards, please stay on topic.

As a Scandinavian I find the British breakfast interesting. And it will give you the nutrients you need to keep the engine going .   

Fried eggs, beans, sausage , fried tomato are all rich in nutrients, but maybe be careful with bacon and sausages. 

In comparison the Scandi  and German breakfast are more based on bread , but also fried eggs and different toppings . 

They are both healthy , what you need to have a good start of a working day . 

19 minutes ago, balo said:

As a Scandinavian I find the British breakfast interesting. And it will give you the nutrients you need to keep the engine going .   

Fried eggs, beans, sausage , fried tomato are all rich in nutrients, but maybe be careful with bacon and sausages. 

In comparison the Scandi  and German breakfast are more based on bread , but also fried eggs and different toppings . 

Norwegian breakfast

Porridge with cloudberry

Salmon, herring and ham

Crispbread

Geitost (sweet goat cheese)

photo Sweden breakfast

swedishbreakfast.jpg

On 6/10/2018 at 11:39 AM, Jonah Tenner said:

Where I come from American food safety regulations are regarded as useless. They are not consumer oriented.

Naturally you don't care to say   where "you come from" or you would have already posted that.

You prefer to just post nonsense.

14 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

Norwegian breakfast

Porridge with cloudberry

Salmon, herring and ham

Crispbread

Geitost (sweet goat cheese)

photo Sweden breakfast

swedishbreakfast.jpg

Well I'd rather be Norwegian. Now I envy not only the fjords, the snow and the polar circle.. But where can I get one of those breakfasts in  Thailand? 

29 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Well I'd rather be Norwegian. Now I envy not only the fjords, the snow and the polar circle.. But where can I get one of those breakfasts in  Thailand? 

I'm sure Linda's Restaurant in Pattaya can make you one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, balo said:

As a Norwegian I would say the brit fry up is excessive, I would remove the beans and add fried potatoes, and I would keep the tomatoes fresh and restrict it to no more than twice a month...

On farms in Norway meals used to be about two to three hours apart to avoid big meals.

As a Norwegian I would say the brit fry up is excessive, I would remove the beans and add fried potatoes, and I would keep the tomatoes fresh and restrict it to no more than twice a month...

On farms in Norway meals used to be about two to three hours apart to avoid big meals.

Well I'm also Norwegian and I cant get enough of fried tomatos, I fry them in a pan with garlic and pepper. I eat it daily , even on sandwich. Norwegian breakfast can be very dull, just a couple of slices of bread and cheese . Not for me.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2018 at 11:47 PM, Scooby and Puppy said:

Thats not food, it doesn’t count...you seen how they make that sh*te?  I wouldn’t eat that crap with your mouth...uugh.

The predominance of American Junk Food like American MTV playlist music has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with hegemony and dominance. They are franchised brands not individual businesses.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:16 PM, Rarebear said:

MacDonald's sells about 6 billion dollars per year in breakfast food.  You want to give me an idea of how much is sold at British restaurants in total for that meal period. 

What does any of that have to do with the amount of food they present as "breakfast"? I don't care how much money they make ( Thais seem to consider fast food as some sort of prestige food, when in western countries it's just cheap convenience food ), when it's quantity I'm referring to. A real English breakfast fills me up.

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:18 AM, Rarebear said:

I was responding to Scooby and Puppy  who wrote, "You are joking surely,  there are places to get english food more than any other combined."

When another poster decided to dig his hole of delusion deeper by posting, "Perhaps in Thailand as a whole.....but this thread is about Pattaya, and there is more places serving variations of the English breakfast on the darkside alone than the combined total of all these others in Pattaya."

But, to answer your question 1.  It was designed by Americans. 2.  Served in 37 thousand American restaurants worldwide.  3.  Uses American ingredients.  Is a MacDonald's breakfast American?  Is a MacDonald's hamburger American?  Is Coke American?  I'd say yes.  Do Americans eat hot dogs for breakfast (American breakfast)? No.  What is American fried rice in Pattaya?  Something not eaten in America?  British breakfast at the Pig and Whistle?  I'd say yes but not at all the buffet at the Lek or Nana plaza hotel.   

No such place as Nana Plaza hotel. There is a Nana hotel opposite the Nana Plaza though.

American fried rice was invented by Thais as something Americans would eat. It's not, far as I know, eaten in the US, or actually American.

Lek buffet breakfast has scrambled or fried eggs, bacon, sausages, toast, butter, jam, OJ and tea/ coffee. That's as good as many so called English breakfasts I've had in LOS, and better than the one I had in London a few weeks ago.

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:58 PM, Rarebear said:

Big Mac

520 calories

45 grams of carbohydrates

28 grams of fat

950 grams of sodium

24 grams of protein

British fry up

Fried Egg     2     160     10
Bacon     4     208     18
Sausages     3     618     45
Baked Beans     ½ Tin     140     1.1
                             calories        fat
Totals           1126     74.1

1126 calories British breakfast Big mac 520

I am an open minded person and dined on both last week.  Both fill me up.  I like both.  I'm an educated American so open to most other countries cuisine. 

If I eat a British breakfast I don't need to eat again till supper time. An American breakfast lasts till lunch time.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:45 PM, transam said:

It should be called fast food...

Processed, sugar and fat filled, it's not even "food", but "junk food" is pretty close. The only reason people keep going back for more is that they use chemicals to make it taste moreish.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If I eat a British breakfast I don't need to eat again till supper time. An American breakfast lasts till lunch time.

which american breakfast? surely youre not comparing a real restaurant breakfast to a fast food concoction?

9 hours ago, transam said:

I would not complain about this......And forget all that girlie stuff above...:stoner:

full-english-breakfast-picture_csp40417576.jpg.979c519966c4a5d0d4747bb001ce7927.jpg

I really hate that in LOS it's almost impossible to get fried eggs that are cooked properly. I don't like runny eggs.

As for bacon, in LOS it's really rubbish. 

Sausages- the "Cumberland" sausages I got served today must be the smallest sausages ever made. Still only got 2 of them.

Best English I've had ( other than the ones I cook myself ) was at the Heathrow Premier Inn. Worth every penny of the 10 quid it cost ( buffet ).

4 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

which american breakfast? surely youre not comparing a real restaurant breakfast to a fast food concoction?

I've had "American breakfast" that was pancakes and scrambled eggs, also the version they serve here which was eggs, hash browns and bacon or ham. I don't last long on that. I need baked beans and sausages.

33 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've had "American breakfast" that was pancakes and scrambled eggs, also the version they serve here which was eggs, hash browns and bacon or ham. I don't last long on that. I need baked beans and sausages.

hardly the largest american style breakfast served in most restaurants. no steak, no pancakes?

8 hours ago, The manic said:

The predominance of American Junk Food like American MTV playlist music has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with hegemony and dominance. They are franchised brands not individual businesses.

It is symbolic of the expat an Pattaya who is the antithesis of quality.  Franchised brands are dominant in the marketplace today - 7/11 vs mom and pop.  

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What does any of that have to do with the amount of food they present as "breakfast"? I don't care how much money they make ( Thais seem to consider fast food as some sort of prestige food, when in western countries it's just cheap convenience food ), when it's quantity I'm referring to. A real English breakfast fills me up.

Interesting as that may be it has nothing to do with the topic.  The English fry up is not symbolic of the Western expat because the Brits have gone home and the expat that is left eats more fast food which you measure by dollar (baht) sales volume.  

I would not complain about this......And forget all that girlie stuff above...stoner.gif&key=ea7dd3a9d71e483eb3aea0bda45d966d4ea98ae64ca536075db889f2d6d54a65

full-english-breakfast-picture_csp40417576.jpg.979c519966c4a5d0d4747bb001ce7927.jpg&key=41b43a9141d1c4e3d661989a5561ebf64ed3f9aae0668111c489fb88bf1e2613

Looks good and at least the eggs are not over-cooked. I like the beans in a separate dish as they should never come into contact with the egg (I could forego them altogether). The toast should be on the side, not taking up space on the plate.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Looks good and at least the eggs are not over-cooked. I like the beans in a separate dish as they should never come into contact with the egg (I could forego them altogether). The toast should be on the side, not taking up space on the plate.

Thai restaurants seem to have no clue about the function of a small plate as something to put the toast on.

They also seem to have few clues about what constitutes a "real" English breakfast. I suppose they are just guessing, like when they write the menus, and get the words wrong because they know better than any of the many English speakers they see in their restaurants.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If that is fried bread it is in the right place....:stoner:

• Like 1