BTS Group net profit surges 120%

webfact

BTS Group net profit surges 120%

By The Nation

acb4d4b74a1cced4c6b4d6ccef2e35f6.jpeg

Kavin Kanjanapas, chief executive officer of BTS Group

BTS Group’s net profit for the 2017-2018 financial year surged 120 per cent year-on-year to Bt4.416 billion on the back of improving performance in all business units, chief executive Kavin Kanjanapas said this week. 

The company reported a Bt14.10-billion increase in operating revenue, up Bt5.49 billion or 64 per cent from the preceding year. 

The results were led by impressive performances in the mass transit business and VGI Global Media but were also supported by a gain of Bt1.88 billion from a property business restructuring.

“With these results, BTS Group has surpassed expectations,” Kavin said, referring to the company’s five-year guidance of net recurring profit to grow 25 per cent per annum on average. 

The growth trajectory is expected to continue as “next year, we are expecting revenue growth of 200 per cent”, said Kavin. 

The company has reaffirmed its 2017 position as Thailand’s leading rail mass transit system operator following the award of both the Pink and Yellow Line concessions and is expected to participate in the bidding process for all high-speed rail and electric rail systems concessions. 

The media business seems set to surpass competition even further with an enviable media ecosystem and as pioneers of offline-to-online solutions.

Meanwhile new investments in Thailand and overseas will be the hallmark of its property business. 

The mass transit business posted total revenue of Bt9.11 billion, increasing Bt4.87 billion or 115 per cent from the previous year. 

The key drivers were organic growth and revenue from services related to the upcoming opening of the BTS Green Line Northern and Southern extensions. 

The media unit earned Bt3.90 billion in revenue, an increase of Bt893 million or 30 per cent year-on-year, thanks to the thriving out-of-home and online media business segment. 

Despite excluding recognition of real estate gains, the company’s net recurring profit still showed outstanding growth of 78 per cent, rising to 2.51 billion.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30346589

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-30

2 minutes ago, coulson said:

Great, so drop fares to decent prices.

Don't know how the average Thai can afford it. A round trip of reasonable distance, daily, is 1/3 of the minimum wage.

The average Thais earn more then minimum wage,only the average Thai visa expat that believe the Thais are so poor, but the reality is different.

i have come across many Thais earns way more then 1000baht a day for a simple 9-17 job in a office++ overtime,bonus etc etc, the majority don’t work in 7-11 or tesco, and even there, if they have a form of degree, they should earn at least 15,000bt a month, minimum.

6 minutes ago, coulson said:

Great, so drop fares to decent prices.

Don't know how the average Thai can afford it. A round trip of reasonable distance, daily, is 1/3 of the minimum wage.

Yes, the fares really needs to go down, they are way more expensive then in many other Asian countries, my friend in Beijing told me, the metro system there is better and much cheaper.

• Like 2

Prices up but service became worst. Number of gates still the same even there is space to increase. Commuters line up like dogs waiting to get out of cage during rush hours. Mentality of companies here. Profit above everything else because no competition and monopoly.
Is there any metropolitan commuter rail system that isn't overcrowded in rush hour? At least the BTS commuters are normally civilised, patient (maybe too patient) and the train frequency is good.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

It is funny because we moved to a lcation close to the bts about six years ago. We never use the bts anymore because with two of us it is more than a taxi usually, which i think is sort of ridiculous. It didnt used to be like that. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Why?

Their goal is to maximize profit, not transport as many people as possible or accomodate your drinking habits by lowering your commuting costs to the bar.

It is owned by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration. I'd say providing an efficient and affordable service should be high on their priority list, rather than allow their operator to brag about the profits of an overcrowded and inefficient network.

You're other assumption was also wide by a long shot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Is there any metropolitan commuter rail system that isn't overcrowded in rush hour? At least the BTS commuters are normally civilised, patient (maybe too patient) and the train frequency is good.

The trains and stations are much to short

I'm not saying overcrowding in trains but ticket gates entering the platform. Most of the stations out there only have 5 gates for both entrance and exit. Train frequency, you can try riding during off peak hours, if you missed one. And frequently tourists who don't know how to insert the ticket block off the gates and clueless.
  • Like 2

The overcrowding on the BTS is ridiculous. It is frequently difficult to get a seat, whatever time of day or evening one travels (on the main BKK line). I have been told on good authority that the BTS actually have (secretly) another train or two already purchased, but will not put them  into service as they want the public to start complaining so much about being packed in like sardines that the BTS management can then finally unveil the extra train(s) and then put up prices to 'justify' that.

As with nearly everything in Thailand, it is all a scam. No real customer service at all. Just greed, greed, selfishness and greed.

Fully deserved.

And with the Bangkok Taxi cheating scum , BTS business will flourish.

However, it may be nice to have more trains to avoid overcrowding. 

On peak hours, it is almost dangerous and hard to breathe  in the dangerously overcrowded compartments.

If the train breaks down someplace in the middle of a tunnel, and the a/c is cut, the overcrowding could lead to a disaster.

But.....but...if an outrageous dual pricing starts on the BTS to extort more monnney from the farang.....the international communities and embassies would need to protest on the issue with the local government ! And that would make the BTS as disgusting as the Thai Taxi Cheats....but of course this will not happen as people are intelligent and know where to draw the line (???)

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 1

Overcrowding can be a problem, as can train frequency outside rush hours, but all in all, as someone that doesn't live in Bangkok, I do find it a pretty good service.

What I'd like to see changed, however, is an improvement to the ticket machine system so they take banknotes and get rid of the 1 baht denominations. Is it really necessary to have a fare of 31 baht?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

If the train breaks down someplace in the middle of a tunnel, and the a/c is cut, the overcrowding could lead to a disaster.

BTS has no tunnels, nor are any planned.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, madmitch said:

What I'd like to see changed, however, is an improvement to the ticket machine system so they take banknotes and get rid of the 1 baht denominations. Is it really necessary to have a fare of 31 baht?

OK, all the X1 Baht fares will become X2, ok?

You could of course get a Rabbit card.

New ticket machines are coming, including more that accept notes.

Just now, Crossy said:

OK, all the X1 Baht fares will become X2, ok?

You could of course get a Rabbit card.

New ticket machines are coming, including more that accept notes.

I meant use denominations of 5 baht. I probably will get a rabbit card next time. I saw Bangkok Bank have debit cards with a Rabbit card built in. Anyone tried this? (though the one they were promoting in my branch had a Chelsea FC logo on. No thanks!)

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

BTS has no tunnels, nor are any planned.

I thought that the recent extension of (I don't remember which line), did have so ? Ok well good point but still I would find it a bit scary to get stuck 10 meters above the ground, under the sun and no a/c. !!  It is however a great service and the only regret is that it does not operate a bit later in the night.

Edited by observer90210

So 31 ups to 35, I can imagine the social media furore.

Bangkok Bank Rabbit works well, you can also get an AiS Rabbit SIM if you have an NFC enabled phone and soon you'll be able to link your Rabbit card to your Line Pay account and never run out of credit or have to queue to re-load.

It's important to remember that single-ride passengers are a pain, costs to fill (and empty) machines are far in excess of those needed to manage stored-value, the fewer single-ride the better. Look at London, Hong Kong and Singapore, almost zero single-ride passengers.

As a casual user of BTS, I think it's very good. Ticket machines are easy, station signage excellent, frequency of trains good, and I don't really mind standing for 20-30 minutes of my journey.

I don't think it's necessary to reduce fares, as BTS does not really need to entice more passengers at this point. Their profit announcement demonstrates that existing fares are fine.

What they do need is more carriages per train to ease overcrowding. The platforms are certainly long enough.

To me, I think the issue of overcrowding is always going to be one that is company v. passenger... the company always wants to operate each and every train at 100% load... by contrast, passengers want the lowest load possible .. so there’s always going to be a push-pull so to speak. Just like airlines- no one likes a full cabin... but that’s how airlines make money, by having full cabins and not by flying empty seats.

to that end, i can’t see any justification at present to add more capacity, be that added train frequencies or carriages - outside of a very few limited hours in the AM and PM peak periods.

where i DO think the bts is off mark is on the facilities side - as mentioned earlier, the number of coin-only ticket vending machines, number of currency/coin vending machines and the number of turnstiles.  It’s here I think at some stations the ridership has now outstripped the processing capacity rate.

What id like to see is: 1) the ability to add value/credit/trips to a stored value card at a kiosk or vending machine (much like the MRT does) and 2) current to coin change machines. To me, that’s a good use of tech and one that will reduce the number of human tens actions that station staff must handle - thus leaving them to handle issues that really require a human to facilitate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shady86 said:

Profit above everything else because no competition and monopoly.

I would say you have pretty much summed up nearly every "successful" Thai business, without the above ingredients, not many would make it! ?

Does this mean they can supply and operate the long promised lifts for disabled passengers? Without asking for handouts?

Of course it does. This surge in profits seems excessive.  The money is here to supply extra carriages too.  And run more trains.  The service is just not comfortable too often.  Yes they must make money, but is there no point at which the customer matters?

Sometimes they publicize bringing your bicycle with you 555.  Sometimes it is difficult to bring a bag with you.

Let us just break this down with an analogy. Daily commuters basically pay about half price with their monthly cards. I think that is great, but what is happening is people who use the bts less frequently are essentially subsidizing the costs of the bkk workforce to commute. The disparity between daily rates and occasional fares should not be nearly that large. 

It would be like if you worked 5 days a week and i worked two days a week and your gas per gallon when you filled up your car was double because of that. That is way out of line. I do not expect it to change but it is way out of line. 

Edited by utalkin2me

6 hours ago, bapoboy said:

The average Thais earn more then minimum wage,only the average Thai visa expat that believe the Thais are so poor, but the reality is different.

i have come across many Thais earns way more then 1000baht a day for a simple 9-17 job in a office++ overtime,bonus etc etc, the majority don’t work in 7-11 or tesco, and even there, if they have a form of degree, they should earn at least 15,000bt a month, minimum.

Take a long look someday at the many tens of thousands of workers - manual and office - who stand patiently at bus stops throughout the city twice a day in the heat and the filthy air, waiting for a forty-year-old bus, sometimes for half-an-hour or more, then tell me they can afford the BTS. Tell me you saw how many people used to let the pay buses go by in order to wait for the free BMTAs to come, to save themselves the 6½ Baht. I did. You may quote any fanciful statistics you like - try asking the 'dek seven' directly how much their hourly wage is - I know, and I can tell you it won't add up to anywhere near your 15k a month. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

It is funny because we moved to a lcation close to the bts about six years ago. We never use the bts anymore because with two of us it is more than a taxi usually, which i think is sort of ridiculous. It didnt used to be like that. 

for us a taxi costs almost the same as the bts and is much more convenient.

But i would even pay more for the taxi because it's so convenient to sit in a car compared to standing in the overfull skytrain.