Its annoying when thais drive slow in the overtaking lane

bbabythai

3 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Funny, but I recall a thread recently where a farang guy was suggesting that it was his absolute God-given right to drive slow in the fast lane. 

I disagree on that.

Even with the above described there is still a "slow traffic keep left" rule.

• Like 1

On some roads (or what passes for "highways", the left lane is often in bad condition (trucks traffic and poor construction), never mind height difference from shoulder (when such exists). Guess some aren't keen on subjecting their vehicles to torture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Funny, but I recall a thread recently where a farang guy was suggesting that it was his absolute God-given right to drive slow in the fast lane.  You two should get together.

It’s even more irritating when you in outside lane doing 120 km on freeway and a turkey doing 150 in wants to take out the front of you car

Somebody told me the highway speed limit (Highway 2 BKK into the Northeast) was actually 90 kph.  Although 110-120 seems to be quite common.  So those pluckers poking along at 90 are actually "right", although I'm with you at how annoying they are.  I would say a good % are looking down at their phones, so slowing down is viewed as being more "safe" while doing so. 

Wasn't there an article recently saying Thailand decided to increase the maximum speed limit?  90 kph was set back in the 70s.  Don't remember the details, something along those lines. 

Edited by 55Jay
  • Sad 1

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

When you get caught up doing 120+ it's time to slow down, move left and cruise...... Stop off at the next 7-11, snack and start again. God bless 7-11's.

Depending on location of course, often a lot going on way over there on the left,  including space cadets pulling out from PTT/7-11s. ?    Slooowww trucks and the big potholes they create.

On a 3-4 lane main highway, slower folks ought to stay left, and leave the right lane open for people with a pulse.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Although 110-120 seems to be quite common.

And then rise the limit and 150 will be common?

Heaven helps.

I often have to remember myself that I am (early) retired.

No schedule to keep, no boss or VIP customer waiting.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Just now, KhunBENQ said:

And then rise the limit and 150 will be common?

Heaven helps.

I often have to remember myself that I am (early) retired.

No schedule to keep, no boss or VIP customer waiting.

That seems to be the case even in my country with the periodic increase to speed limit over the decades.  Traffic typically moves 7-10 mph over. 

Wife and I did San Diego to Tuscon in February, then up to Vegas, then back over and down to San Dog.  What a pleasure.  Cruise control set at 80, eating up the miles, everybody including big trucks, all on the same page.  None of this dodging in and out stuff, avoiding slow pokes, etc.   My wife loves driving in the States.  Hasn't a kind word about Thai drivers in general, the roads, or the police here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Try Victoria, Australia,   same lack of lane discipline but undertaking doesn't seem to be an offence there while  2km over the speed limit and you're nicked.   They don't signal OFF roundabouts either.  In France you'll be handed a big on-the-spot fine for lane hogging.  You've just got to go with the local flow or bust a blood vessel.

• Like 2

My twice daily school run includes a 1km/2 lane hump that is invariably hogged by idiots in the wrong lane oblivious to their actions. I try not to undertake but there are times when you just can't help it ?

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Thais who drive slowly in the outside lanes are annoying, and there are plenty of them.

Somewhat more annoying, and somewhat more numerous, are the ones that overtake you and then slow down for absolutely no reason, and then repeat the procedure again and again.

My wife explained that one to me.  The other driver had a Mercedes but we only had a Honda.  So he thought he had to be in front for 'face'.

• Like 1

Undertaking is just part of the driving skills you adapt to here.

What drives me nuts is the passing lanes. You finally get to one so you can overtake the guy who has been in front of you for 20 minutes and what happens, everybody stays right.

Or they move right and cross into your lane when they come to a curve while you are trying to overtake.

Or you are overtaking in a passing lane, and someone else is overtaking in a non passing lane coming right towards you.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

We can't have it both ways or can we? 

I wonder the poster what is the speed limit of the road he is traveling. There are enough death in this country enough thread regarding their driving now we got a farang who wants to do the same I guess when in Thailand do as the Thais do? I wonder what is the hurry, one graves isn't going anywhere? Beat yourself up and everyone on the road so one can only get to the red light and wait wait and wait until the slow car ends up right behind or ahead of you later??

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Some will never move to the left, e.g. overloaded pickups because the left lane is more prone to toppling.

Also the (bloody dangerous) U-turns will always need slow vehicles go right.

Some are so afraid not to make it over that they use a full kilometer or so on the right.

This BTW is the reason why undertaking (left) is not unconditonally forbidden on roads with two or more lanes. And it makes sense.

But the exact rule will rarely be practiced: flashing the vehicle ahead and waiting for the driver to switch on right indicator.

I approach careful, watch the suspect :biggrin: and then pass on the left.

If I need to stay right for next U-turn I ALWAYS leave on the right indicator until U-turn.

Both lanes blocked? Take a deep breath.

Totally agree.  We blame drivers for ALL bad habits but on many many occasions it is road planning that is at fault.

I understand people's dilemma but I am not sure that it has ever been passed into law as to there actually being a FAST or SLOW lane.  I think this has just become an accepted practice.

13 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Thais who drive slowly in the outside lanes are annoying, and there are plenty of them.

Somewhat more annoying, and somewhat more numerous, are the ones that overtake you and then slow down for absolutely no reason, and then repeat the procedure again and again.

Mobile phone comes to mind.

17 hours ago, bbabythai said:

Everyday I drive I am forced to move to the left lane to drive around a slow car thats in the right lane. Dont these idiots know that slow cars should drive in the left lane? The worse is when theres a slow car in the left and the right and when Im blocked. Its at these times that I will flash the lights. 

Maybe you are driving too fast and tailgating.  Flashing the lights is aggressive road rage style behaviour.

• Like 1

Its annoying when thais drive slow in the overtaking lane

So it's not annoying when farang do it, just Thais? Or do you think farang, in Thailand or in Farang Land, never do that? 

Some people in farang land seem to have signage on board for just such occasions.

382331694_fastlane.jpg.b69ad88fa673096b7730f57390f59711.jpg

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Unfortunately we have to lower our standards in such circumstances.

Wow. "We" certainly have a high opinion of ourselves.

1391111570_fastlane2.png.8888851d10d76dcb0372b3285e831b06.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Yes, of course, but here in Thailand they seem to be more common than people driving in the correct lane.

""they seem to be" mainly through the eyes and down the nose of Freddy Farang whose observations seem always to confirm his biases.

bumpersticker-yes-as-a-matter-of-fact-i-do-own-the-whole-damn-road_55ce64430172d_746xauto-jpg-keep-ratio.jpeg.cc10a06eaab87601b4133f78f3f4ade6.jpeg

• Haha 1