Please Recommend me a car

16 minutes ago, arfandy said:

I've read of this Nissan March and how it receives most Eco-Friendly award in 2017. Any idea how big the cabin is? My greatest concern is to take with me few XL briefcases whenever i travel long distance. Passengers-wise, likely just 3 adults and 2 kids at most. Everything else is great and perfect about Nissan March. 

I just need to check out the fact how big the cabin is and how fast can this car speed up in highway? And whether this car can handle uphill road with full passengers on board? I live in North, likely most road are up & down, with plenty of curves.

I thought you were looking for a SUV or a people mover " Family cars are must (MUV, SUV, MPV, etc) with at least 7-seater and/or 5-seater but cabin able to contain 2-3 XL sized briefcases." a Nissan March is hardly that, it's a little eco shoe box that may fit 2 adults and 2 kids at a squeeze, loaded up with luggage it will be struggling.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, arfandy said:

I've read of this Nissan March and how it receives most Eco-Friendly award in 2017. Any idea how big the cabin is? My greatest concern is to take with me few XL briefcases whenever i travel long distance. Passengers-wise, likely just 3 adults and 2 kids at most. Everything else is great and perfect about Nissan March. 

I just need to check out the fact how big the cabin is and how fast can this car speed up in highway? And whether this car can handle uphill road with full passengers on board? I live in North, likely most road are up & down, with plenty of curves.

It's a small car. Not much acceleration due to the CVT transmission, and would be quite gutless in the hills. You may need to bear in mind the CVT transmission of Nissans in general is not getting a good reputation for reliability.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I thought you were looking for a SUV or a people mover " Family cars are must (MUV, SUV, MPV, etc) with at least 7-seater and/or 5-seater but cabin able to contain 2-3 XL sized briefcases." a Nissan March is hardly that, it's a little eco shoe box that may fit 2 adults and 2 kids at a squeeze, loaded up with luggage it will be struggling.

Agreed, we have a march and its fine for the 2 of us but very limited If we need to pick up friends from the airport. We did manage to pick up 2 x adult kids and their luggage, but a squeeze with 4 in the car, very intimate, lol

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's a small car. Not much acceleration due to the CVT transmission, and would be quite gutless in the hills. You may need to bear in mind the CVT transmission of Nissans in general is not getting a good reputation for reliability.

This is the OP's criteria " Family cars are must (MUV, SUV, MPV, etc) with at least 7-seater and/or 5-seater but cabin able to contain 2-3 XL sized briefcases." Pretty sure a Nissan March doesn't come close to fitting that bill.

I've read of this Nissan March and how it receives most Eco-Friendly award in 2017.

Then you can forget about this car, the engine is not strong enough. I owned a March for a few years and it was a great car, easy to park everywhere. But once we decided to take a drive to Chiang Mai and on the high ways you can relax , its mostly no hills to CM.

But we were in for a surprise when we wanted to drive up Doi Inthanon, very steep curves and with 3 passengers it could not make it to the top! And it smelled bad from the engine so I had to park and walk the rest lol.

But as city car its perfect.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

New car for 400K? tell him he's dreamin'.

Not really, there was a small Chinese pick up brand new for 200 something K, but reports about them were not good, there could be others that are better.

8 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Not really, there was a small Chinese pick up brand new for 200 something K, but reports about them were not good, there could be others that are better.

You do know he's looking for an SUV or a people mover? If you know of any of those that are 400K or under let us know.

39 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Chinese brand new cars are cheap for a reason.

• Like 1

I would first wait to be in the country.

Try to hire the models you are interested in (many international car hiring websites offer service in Thailand) and see how they run in your area depending on the roads, streets, how narrow some places can be, how will customer service be at the garage servicing the particular make, parking etc.

Then choose depending on how confortable you feel with the car...and not how a salesman on anybody here recommends.

Wish you a smooth relocation.

Edited by observer90210

9 hours ago, transam said:

....Or tuk tuk....

I have seen my fair share of Xpats in Sawang Daen Din and Ban Dung (Isaan) riding around in their Skylabs, happy as can be....I didn't say they were cheap Charlie's, just stating the facts.

Another alternative is if he puts the money down on a new car and then pays monthly on the balance, but be warned, there is 7% vat charged on the monthly repayments, and if he is on a tight budget, he should be seeking a small sedan.

Just to give him an idea on a new Ford Everest 2.2, 7 seater is 1,369,000 baht , down deposit of 40% (547,600 baht) and repayments are like 18,000 baht per month over 48 months inclusive of the 7% vat.

2nd hand cars, unless you know engines/bodies, would go within cooee of one, because it will cost you in the long run.

If you don't mind the car being a few years old I'd recommend a 2.2 litre zafira. They have 7 seats that can easily be folded down. The engine gives decent power too. I have a friend ( seriously it's a friend not me) who is selling theirs for 150k

As the song, by David Bowie goes "this is not America, dadedidada"

Have a Toyota CHR hybrid (new car) , cost you more, but it does 3,8 ltr/100km. 26 km /ltr

Fortuner 2.8 2WD AT diesel 12.9 km/ltr

10 hours ago, arfandy said:

The subject of this thread is "recommend" me, not "mock" me.

Just to clarify few points because OBVIOUSLY some members just wanted to mock and not even bother reading past the 3rd sentence:

0. I knew i should have put ";". Do i get; a new car or second hand car? Someone has stated how second hand cars market is pretty rigged. So there's my answer.

1. 250-400K, never once i said this is for NEW CAR. I've specifically wrote about installment on the 4th paragraph or 5th paragraph BUT some of members decided to be such child and stop reading on the first 10sec upon arrival on this thread.

2. Yes, i used Google, www.one2car.com, and personally checked each manufacture websites. I got their prices noted down. However, NONE of the websites mentioned anything about fuel consumption and/or the length it takes to finish off the registration book to reach my hand. (Yes, that's why i asked here AND again, nobody read until such point). I am confident that i posted this thread on the right section, am i? 

3. I really appreciated for mature answers from other members too. I realize not everyone has the answer for all questions that were asked. Sometime it is easier to mock somebody based on the first 2-3 lines rather than answering such difficult questions.

4. Note the "????" after i wrote Pajero & Fortuner. That should briefly explains my "sarcasm". I did read the brand of MG which offers similar model as those expensive SUV, but at half the price. However, i have no idea what company that is and how reliable their cars are. My best bet was made-in-China cars. 

5. For a second there, i thought i was at gaming forum. Some replies were identical to those at gaming forums. I cant even comprehend how anyone could immediately assume such budget for a new car. At least someone got the word "tuk tuk" there.

Your origiinal post was unclear and rambling, dont get shirty.

Even multiple readings give the impression 400k was your budget, even with the remark about installments.

Perhaps next time you request adice you should be clear and folks will answer accordingly.

I couldnt comprehend how you could sound so clueless either, but you managed it.

Edited by HooHaa

if 400k is your downpayment and you need the car fast, forget honda or toyota, long long wait.

my hrv took forever and the dealer had to steal's someone's delivery(and gave me his extra mods that the guy paid for) and it still took forever.

3 weeks ago she went to a mitsu dealer and 2 days after she drove out with the new pajero limited(should have been 1 day but they had issues with the film).

If your whole budget is 400k, then please don't bring your children to thailand; stop thinking about your self.  You won't be able to afford a good school. The most important rule when having children in thailand: go back if you can't at least afford private english thai schools.

Edited by bearpolar
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HooHaa said:

Your origiinal post was unclear and rambling, dont get shirty.

Even multiple readings give the impression 400k was your budget, even with the remark about installments.

Perhaps next time you request adice you should be clear and folks will answer accordingly.

I couldnt comprehend how you could sound so clueless either, but you managed it.

I will try to use proper Google Translate as English is not my native language. I did not know that i must posses +600 TOEFL just to ask for "mockery" here based on "financial" or "grammar". Last time i checked, the forum is still called thaivisa.com not englishvisa.com or britainvisa.com. My english should be averaged for Thais or someone else to understand (at least). 

Yes, i was clueless about purchasing car in Thailand. You got that right. I see no option to re-edit my original post, thus i am still unable to correct the grammar.

I apologize for my lack of English grammar or ...ehm, whatever the english mistake i wrote there.

Have a good day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, arfandy said:

I will try to use proper Google Translate as English is not my native language. I did not know that i must posses +600 TOEFL just to ask for "mockery" here based on "financial" or "grammar". Last time i checked, the forum is still called thaivisa.com not englishvisa.com or britainvisa.com. My english should be averaged for Thais or someone else to understand (at least). 

Yes, i was clueless about purchasing car in Thailand. You got that right. I see no option to re-edit my original post, thus i am still unable to correct the grammar.

I apologize for my lack of English grammar or ...ehm, whatever the english mistake i wrote there.

Have a good day.

Not about grammar, its about clarity. If you want the post reworded ask a moderator.

2 minutes ago, transam said:

So you want TVF staff to rewrite folks posts for them...5150.gif.63399055bc74f9281462c8a7864729f9.gif

No, he himself could clarify the post and ask somone to change it on his behalf.

You are being purposely obtuse as usual.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HooHaa said:

No, he himself could clarify the post and ask somone to change it on his behalf.

You are being purposely obtuse as usual.

Am I...?

This forum has many nationalities where some may struggle a bit with English, most of us get around that stuff but you want Mods to sort out members English....665212406_shakehead.gif.089607d6ca2ca4267c1afeae6c97c6db.gif

• Like 1

Who are you to judge what other people can afford or their budgets are when they move to Thailand ?  

Instead of helping this guy some posters comes up with insulting comments .  This is about buying a car , not if he can live a luxury life in Thailand. 

You can get many different second hand cars around 400k , just look for it and you will find. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, transam said:

Am I...?

This forum has many nationalities where some may struggle a bit with English, most of us get around that stuff but you want Mods to sort out members English....665212406_shakehead.gif.089607d6ca2ca4267c1afeae6c97c6db.gif

now you are just being contrary, its common for mods to fix errors in the op - especially in the title if requested by a user. 

have a nice day trans. 

Bit off topic , but i find English easier to read than listen to some English Speakers. Those 2 twerps on Britain's got Talent, Jordy i think and  Alex Fergerson dialects are just mumbles.. David Dimbleby ,an Nigel Ferang for example speak English to my ears.As for Cockney i give up.

23 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

Agree. Another good choice mighr be a Honda BR-V, if you can find one a few years old. Seven seats, good fuel economy. I just finished a new car search. I was impressed with the Hondas, but beyond my budget for new.

During my recent search, I saw a Nissan Livina, just a couple of years old, for around 500,000. Very roomy, not under-powered. Should definitely be on your watch list. They were (are?) made in Indonesia. Nissan has stopped selling them in Thailand, but only recently.