Brexit secretary plans to give Northern Ireland joint UK, EU status - The Sun

webfact

Brexit secretary plans to give Northern Ireland joint UK, EU status - The Sun

2018-05-31T235559Z_1_LYNXNPEE4U2A5_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

FILE PHOTO - Britain's Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union David Davis, leaves 10 Downing Street in London, Britain, May 22, 2018. REUTERS/Simon Dawson

(Reuters) - Brexit Secretary David Davis is creating a Brexit plan that would give Northern Ireland joint UK and European Union status so it could trade freely with both, as well as a buffer zone to eliminate the need for border checkpoints with Ireland, The Sun newspaper reported on Thursday.

Davis is drawing a proposed 10-mile (16-km)-wide trade buffer zone along the border that would be in effect for local traders like dairy farmers after Britain leaves the bloc, the newspaper said.

The Brexit minister's plan is a revision of the "max fac" or "maximum facilitation" plan, the report said, citing a source.

British Prime Minister Theresa May previously pledged to take the UK out of the EU customs union by considering two options. One would be "max fac" in which the UK and EU would be entirely separate customs areas but would try to use technology to reduce friction and costs at the border.

The other option being considered is a "customs partnership", according to which the UK would cooperate with the EU more closely and collect tariffs on its behalf with no requirement of declarations of goods crossing the border.

The European Union previously criticized May for not setting out how the UK would achieve a frictionless border with the EU without erecting a land border to control goods between the British province of Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

Britain suggested earlier this month that it would be willing to extend the use of EU tariffs as a backstop if there were delays in ratification of a Brexit deal to avoid a return to a hard border between Northern Ireland and Ireland, adding the government did not want to use that option.

(Reporting by Kanishka Singh in Bengaluru; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-06-01

16 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Having read some UK newspapers..imo..the Swiss " way " would solve the issue I think?

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What those newspapers conveniently forgot to tell their readers is that Switzerland is part of Schengen.....which means passport free travel across the border, not really something Brexit voters would be too happy with I'd imagine.

Also commercial vehicles are strictly limited to specific crossing points so delays of hours are often experienced. Paperwork has to be completed and submitted before crossing and the border closes 5pm Friday and reopens Monday morning.

• Like 1

Just now, malagateddy said:

Think it was Daily Express.
Gotta face facts here..Barnier etc want to "make an example of us"
Time to tell him cheerio..W T R will do us fine..then just watch many eu member countries tear brussels apartemoji6.png

You’ve been banging on for a while now about this ‘time to tell him/the EU cheerio .. WTO will be fine’ and variations there on.

You never seem to engage with the question why the UK government are doing their best to avoid just that.

• Like 1

You’ve been banging on for a while now about this ‘time to tell him/the EU cheerio .. WTO will be fine’ and variations there on.

You never seem to engage with the question why the UK government are doing their best to avoid just that.
C/h...not really interested re way the UK Govt sets out their stall.
I honestly believe that the British people do not want to be subservient to brussels.
Time to let brussels stew in their own juice.
Time the UK Govt went to the "bully" with Barnier.
Off out now but will join the banter later[emoji6]

• Thanks 1

Twisting and turning as they scramble to stay in while appearing out (or vice versa).

Fun to watch. Everything that's wrong with democracy & free speech at their worst. [Of course, their worst may still - no doubt - be better than the alternatives to democracy and free speech, at least in the long run.]

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, malagateddy said:

I honestly believe that the British people do not want to be subservient to brussels.
Off out now but will join the banter lateremoji6.png

I hope Britain will not reverse the Brexit vote but...

52% of the votes were in favour of Brexit with a 72% turnout... is this the whole British people?

Hmm, so a zone which uses both EU and UK import/export rules. A green light for smugglers! I can see a return to the cyclical trade in products across the border which existed 30 years ago, with subsidies being claimed from both governments and VAT fraud heaven.

• Haha 1

So a 10 mile gap in a hard border! That's a great idea [emoji23]

How to piss off everybody!

Time for a general election to show this incompetent "government" the exit.

Maybe there is some method to it.

It basically is moving the border 10 miles inwards and to a degree could redrawn it completely.

As far as I am aware, all the border counties are politically controlled by Sinn Fein so if some part of them become effectively part of Ireland then they are less likely to agitate and it gerrymanders the vote in what is left where the Unionists are slowly losing control due to demographic changes.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Off out now but will join the banter lateremoji6.png

Right. Don't let Soros mix the shit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grouse said:

So a 10 mile gap in a hard border! That's a great idea ?

How to piss off everybody!

Time for a general election to show this incompetent "government" the exit.

"Vote of no confidence" on the horizon.

Voting against the gov (by Brexit enthusiasts in the ConPart) would give them an opportunity to depose May and lead their new hardline party to undoubted victory in the subsequent election.

Or defeat.

(Let's hope their ambition gets the better of them)

13 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The fact that David Davis said something should not be regarded as an indication of any truth other than that he opened his mouth and some words came out.

Yes firstly, as we know, Davis can always be relied on to give out wrong or conflicting information and secondly it was reported by The Sun.  Best to just ignore the whole thing and carry on.  We are heading for the summer recess when all the MP's will be heading off to their summer homes abroad ?.

I read today that Nigel Lawson, the great Brexit cheerleader who lives in the South of France, has applied for permanent  French residency.  Obviously doesn't want to caught out by after Brexit kicks in.

• Like 1