Rimping going flip flop Hi So?

hugocnx

Since first of June suppliers to (at least) Rimping Nim City, are no longer allowed to carry their goods inside when they go by flip flops or any kind of footware other than closed shoes or sneakers. Kid you not.

Wonder what uptight nose is/was offended by a low salary delivery person, scratching the floor with floppers.

Now who are the real floppers here? What is this...it is for working, not going to a diner or theatre.

• Confused 5
  • Sad 2

About time. Why would anybody even want to go in shoes that destroys their feet, at the same time as it looks terrible and ignorant to normal behaviour.

Would you work in flip flop in your own country? In case of a yes, would your boss like it and would you look respectable to the people you deal with?

• Sad 2

Bare feet around fresh food......I can see the sense of it, despite the OP trying to give birth to a rich versus poor conspiracy theory.

Hey OP, ever figured out why dentists require you to put on slippers before entering treatment rooms or why medical personnel wear masks, are they also class or income related issues!

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Get Real said:

About time. Why would anybody even want to go in shoes that destroys their feet, at the same time as it looks terrible and ignorant to normal behaviour.

Would you work in flip flop in your own country? In case of a yes, would your boss like it and would you look respectable to the people you deal with?

Can agree with you for a bit, but my own country and Thailand are like apples and pears and you pretty much know that too.

About shoes in Thailand; yes, those distroy your feet. Odd size and all plastic. Sweat it out man.

Edited by hugocnx
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Bare feet around fresh food......I can see the sense of it, despite the OP trying to give birth to a rich versus poor conspiracy theory.

Hey OP, ever figured out why dentists require you to put on slippers before entering treatment rooms or why medical personnel wear masks, are they also class or income related issues!

Think you missed my point. Never mind. Maybe you like nose picking personel? What can you proof in the end? Yes, Rimping personel is trained to wash their hands after toilet visit. Can you check that?

I'd rather see floppers and w.t.h., they would never touch any food with their feet.

Edited by hugocnx
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, naboo said:

Rimping can put whatever conditions they like on their workforce or the workforce of their suppliers.

But should they ever date to prevent me from entering their premises in flipflops, this depriving me of the opportunity to annoy miserable farts like @Get Real, they will lose my custom of half a kilo of sausages per month for good.

Let´s hope that day comes! I do not think you can believe how much I would like to see you get stopped in the door, looking like the flip flop fashion chief commander.
However, I must congratulate you on expressing that a 48 year old man is a miserable fart. That just clearly puts you in the archieve with people that do not know what they are doing.
Anyway, keep up the good work. At least you give me a good laugh.

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

FWIW Rimping is the only supermarket I've ever seen anywhere that has food testing facilities on site, they actively test for contaminants in the fresh food they sell, pesticides in particular. Also, if you ever complain about a product having caused upset stomach or even the slightest suspicion of food poisoning, they immediately test the product and I've witnessed this first hand. So I reckon Rimping is doing a pretty good job of trying to protect its customers, the flip flop thing seems to me to be an extension of that.

Hygiene and safety, seems like a reasonable approach to doing business in the food industry.

• Like 2

I think the point to make here is that whilst Rimping is making and enforcing new rules, presumably for good reason and presumably in the interests of health and safety, it's not clear that the rest of the food industry in Thailand is doing the same thing hence such things should be welcomed and not criticised. I know for a fact that TOPS has very stringent food hygiene and food handling regulations but I'm less certain about some of the other retailers, the smaller the store, the greater that uncertainty.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

FWIW Rimping is the only supermarket I've ever seen anywhere that has food testing facilities on site, they actively test for contaminants in the fresh food they sell, pesticides in particular. Also, if you ever complain about a product having caused upset stomach or even the slightest suspicion of food poisoning, they immediately test the product and I've witnessed this first hand. So I reckon Rimping is doing a pretty good job of trying to protect its customers, the flip flop thing seems to me to be an extension of that.

Okay, agree with that. Seems Rimping is even cleaning up it's own mess around their supply sections as I've noticed.

Still can't see what's wrong with the flip flops. I think it's hilarious.

8 minutes ago, hugocnx said:

Okay, agree with that. Seems Rimping is even cleaning up it's own mess around their supply sections as I've noticed.

Still can't see what's wrong with the flip flops. I think it's hilarious.

The logic goes like this: Bacteria exist extensively in the soil or on the ground, people who work in agriculture and deliver their produce to Rimping and wear flip flops are exposed to soil based bacteria and are likely to acquire them on their skin, more so than the mostly well-heeled Rimping customer whose feet are encased in shoes.

• Like 1

So simoh,  are you a  Professor of Soil Microbiology or Food Bacteriology? 

And if you could show me some salient research data which supports your position, (that shoes are somehow cleaner than flip-flops) i'd gladly consider it.

Till then, dog crap stays underfoot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

So simoh,  are you a  Professor of Soil Microbiology or Food Bacteriology? 

And if you could show me some salient research data which supports your position, (that shoes are somehow cleaner than flip-flops) i'd gladly consider it.

Till then, dog crap stays underfoot.

You're not getting it yet!

Every agricultural worker comes into contact with soil which is the source of most bacteria, neither the soil nor the bacteria can be avoided.  Dog poo, on the other hand, is also contaminated by bacteria, the source of which, in every case, is from the soil. However dog poo doesn't cover the entire face of the planet and can be avoided, its contact with human feet is casual. It's reasonable to presume that a survey of 100 pairs of agricultural worker flip flops might reveal contact with soil borne bacteria in over 98% of the sample whereas a survey of steel capped boots (or even regular fully enclosed shoes) will likely reveal contact with dog poo in around possibly 5%-10% of the sample, ergo, requiring agricultural supply workers to avoid flip flops in food stores is a sensible health precaution. However, there will doubtless be some farangs who believe the incidence of dog poo on footwear in Thailand is higher than 10% and in some cases, this may well be true. But with an estimated global dog population of only 525 million and a total land surface area of 149 million sq kms, the incidence of dog poo per square km remains mathematically very small, compared to soil which covers 100% of 44.7 million square metres of the surface area of land. Consider that!

https://www.asm.org/index.php/soil-bacteria

Its simple Health and Safety... many industries & businesses do not allow open footwear in the work place. 

Nothing to do with Soil contamination etc... if it were every employee would also have to change footwear and walk through disinfecting footpaths. 

Those in positions to make the regulations have perhaps worked else where in similar industries and have adopted similar regulations for the safety of the employees and ultimately reduce the risk of having to pay out in the event a worker cuts their feet, badly stubs their toe, drops something on their foot etc... enclosed footwear offers better protection - nothing more to it than that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2018 at 9:26 AM, simoh1490 said:

As the First ever Farang to be a Chef there at Nim City , I can ASSURE you it is NOT about hygiene and food safety as that was one of MANY problems I exp'd there working for them, It did not end well to say the least. ONE such example would be the open doors for delivery by my area, thus flies everywhere while cooking in store. When I brought up this problem and the safety-hygiene issue I was given a FLY SWATTER! Dont mind me folks, enjoy! Splat! Whack!

As for the Loso vs Hiso,I dont think it is a conspiracy as I have witnessed it daily in my 6 + yrs living in CM.....

On 6/2/2018 at 10:01 AM, hugocnx said:

Think you missed my point. Never mind. Maybe you like nose picking personel? What can you proof in the end? Yes, Rimping personel is trained to wash their hands after toilet visit. Can you check that?

I'd rather see floppers and w.t.h., they would never touch any food with their feet.

I was a Chef at **itping Nim City, and oh the stories I could tell you about safety and hygiene, lest the "slander laws"

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

As the First ever Farang to be a Chef there at Nim City , I can ASSURE you it is NOT about hygiene and food safety as that was one of MANY problems I exp'd there working for them, It did not end well to say the least. ONE such example would be the open doors for delivery by my area, thus flies everywhere while cooking in store. When I brought up this problem and the safety-hygiene issue I was given a FLY SWATTER! Dont mind me folks, enjoy! Splat! Whack!

As for the Loso vs Hiso,I dont think it is a conspiracy as I have witnessed it daily in my 6 + yrs living in CM.....

You seem to have not understood that this is about suppliers rather than internal staff.

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its simple Health and Safety... many industries & businesses do not allow open footwear in the work place. 

Nothing to do with Soil contamination etc... if it were every employee would also have to change footwear and walk through disinfecting footpaths. 

Those in positions to make the regulations have perhaps worked else where in similar industries and have adopted similar regulations for the safety of the employees and ultimately reduce the risk of having to pay out in the event a worker cuts their feet, badly stubs their toe, drops something on their foot etc... enclosed footwear offers better protection - nothing more to it than that. 

A reasonable theory except Thailand is not an "I'll sue you" culture.

And as pointed out to another poster, this is about supplier staff, not internal staff.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

The logic goes like this: Bacteria exist extensively in the soil or on the ground, people who work in agriculture and deliver their produce to Rimping and wear flip flops are exposed to soil based bacteria and are likely to acquire them on their skin, more so than the mostly well-heeled Rimping customer whose feet are encased in shoes.

Maybe on your planet, but on mine I still have to see an agricultural worker, coming directly from some bacteria-infested field, walk inside Rimping and put his tomatoes on the shelf.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, arithai12 said:

Maybe on your planet, but on mine I still have to see an agricultural worker, coming directly from some bacteria-infested field, walk inside Rimping and put his tomatoes on the shelf.

Which is why Rimping has now banned suppliers from wearing flip-flops in their stores, did you not read the thread or not understand it! And to be honest, I'm in Rimping at Ruamchok maybe three mornings every week for several years and about 50% of the time I will see suppliers restocking vegetable and fruit displays, I've never looked at their feet but I may do so now.

On 6/2/2018 at 8:26 PM, simoh1490 said:

I always wear my flippers to the dentist/ doctor et al. It is required footwear in my expensive beach town. : )

On 6/2/2018 at 8:19 PM, naboo said:

Rimping can put whatever conditions they like on their workforce or the workforce of their suppliers.

But should they ever date to prevent me from entering their premises in flipflops, this depriving me of the opportunity to annoy miserable farts like @Get Real, they will lose my custom of half a kilo of sausages per month for good.

Sounds like that'll make them sit up and take notice. Half a kilo of sausages per month, eh? Bankruptcy looms.

• Haha 1