Guns on the street in Thaiand

Marvo

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2018 at 2:53 PM, Marvo said:

Not looking to carry one, no.

Just wondering how many of all those guns that seem to be out there are actually likely to be legal.

Good...

The legal ones are going to be in the sub-1% range. 

• Like 1

It's true a license is needed, it's also true that illegal gun sales are rampant and the penalties for being caught with illegal hand guns are small, and my Thai adult son just told me there are many illegal sellers openly advertising on facebook etc.

Then we have the case of a cop in Pattaya caught selling illegal hand guns to local teenagers. He had sold 162 hand guns to teeenagers in the 60 days before he was caught. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a collection of firearms back home that are sitting in locked cabinets, probably bright red with rust by now (they've been there for quite some time now). 

I wanted to bring them to Thailand but was told that only a very select few can get a license (legally) and even then it was only for 2 specific reasons (direct threat on you life, like if you are a  "high and mighty kind of person that someone might put a contract out on"  or if your business involved large amounts of cash).

As it stands now, too many hassles, no justifiable reason to have them (not a lot of competition target shooting going on around here it seems) and the cost to bring them here would probably make it not worthwhile any ways, especially at this stage.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Falcon said:

It’s legal to own guns here , both for foreigners and Thais, you just need the correct license which isn’t difficult to get. We own a couple of guns kept in the house, unless we are going out to the shooting range of course. Obtaining a concealed carry license is very difficult, even for Thais.

There will be many anti gun people here jumping all over this saying how a gun in Thailand isn’t necessary, etc. but, in reality, thailand is not that safe and, in my view, better to keep a legal gun in the house at all times just ‘in case’.

It has been illegal for foreigners to own or carry guns in Thailand since October 2017. If the police catch you with guns you will face up to 10 years in prison and up to a B20,000 fine.

4 minutes ago, Estrada said:

It has been illegal for foreigners to own or carry guns in Thailand since October 2017. If the police catch you with guns you will face up to 10 years in prison and up to a B20,000 fine.

I'm not doubting it, because I simply do not know. 

But given that there's quite the mix of definitive yet conflicting statements, a link would be handy.

39 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I have a collection of firearms back home that are sitting in locked cabinets, probably bright red with rust by now (they've been there for quite some time now). 

I wanted to bring them to Thailand but was told that only a very select few can get a license (legally) and even then it was only for 2 specific reasons (direct threat on you life, like if you are a  "high and mighty kind of person that someone might put a contract out on"  or if your business involved large amounts of cash).

As it stands now, too many hassles, no justifiable reason to have them (not a lot of competition target shooting going on around here it seems) and the cost to bring them here would probably make it not worthwhile any ways, especially at this stage.

It's easier to get a permit to have a gun at home. But you can only carry it if say going to the shooting range and then there are rules about how it must be carried. IIRC though the current government introduced a rule saying foreigners can no longer apply for a permit. But your wife could get one. I believe you have to have some asset value but it's fairly low.

I have Thai friends who shoot and go to ranges regularly. They do some kind of course for a safety / competence certificate. Only available in Thai but foreigners who speak Thai can do it.

I must check up the current rules with them. One of our neighbors was burgled a few years ago and apparently had several guns taken from his safe. I think a lot get onto the market like that.

But if you tried to bring yours here I'm sure there would be huge bureaucracy and customs would clobber you with duty.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Estrada said:

Thanks for posting that. I thought I remembered the current government changing the law.

5 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:
21 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm not doubting it, because I simply do not know. 

But given that there's quite the mix of definitive yet conflicting statements, a link would be handy.

Just a normal day on ThaiVisa.

Sadly, yes.   I always feel for the noobs who put anything at risk because they believed some of the advice posted here by guys who have lived in Thailand long enough that they should know better.

Edited by impulse

It used to be one licence for ownership which cost about 500 and then you could obtain a transport licence for about 4000 purpose of visiting  firing range. Initial permit to purchase was free but valid reason for ownership  was required,  such as valuable possessions, this permit was needed for the sidearm supplier. With the prices of sidearms and ammunition  in this country it's not worth it unless a necessity. one 9mm round costs approx 17baht and that's reused Thai Military. Cheaper Eastern European sidearms such as CZ start at 105.000, more exotic like Baretta up-to 160.000. As a foreigner the law changed about 2 years ago so is almost impossible to own yourselfe. 

The following should explain about foreigners and guns

Thailand: Amendments to Firearms Law

(Oct. 23, 2017) On October 12, 2017, Thailand’s National Legislative Assembly passed amendments to the 1947 Firearms, Ammunition, Explosives, Fireworks, and the Equivalent of Firearms Act (the Act) at the third reading, with 201 legislators in favor, one against, and five abstentions. The amendments, made to keep pace with developments in weapons technology and changes in Thai society, will enter into effect upon publication in the Royal Gazette.  (New Legislation: Foreigners Can’t Own Guns, PHUKET GAZETTE (Oct. 13, 2017).)

The amended law will cover weapon silencers, electric darts, and new types of fireworks including bang fai (locally-made rockets) and talai (“rocket-like fireworks with a circular wing”).  (Id.)  There reportedly have been shooting contests with these two types of rockets that have resulted in injuries, deaths, and property damage.  (Id.)  The amendment further provides that anyone who creates a bomb scare may be subject upon conviction to up to three years of imprisonment and/or fined up to 60,000 Baht (about US$1,817).  (Id.)

Another significant change is that only Thais will be permitted to register a gun with the authorities. Formerly, foreigners residing in Thailand could also apply for weapons permits.  (Id.)

scource: http://www.loc.gov/law/foreign-news/article/thailand-amendments-to-firearms-law/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

I too have many guns at home; however, my 32 year old son is there and they are all his now. I would not want to bring them where they could be confiscated--some go back to my great-great-great grandfather's 1836 double-barrelled Parker percussion smooth bore and others from all my forefathers since. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

We had a shootout on the beach here on Samui a couple of months ago. 

Two rival families involved in jetskis, two dead, both had carry licence. 

Surprising to hear jetski people behaving like this...

• Haha 1

A number of off topic posts have been removed. This topic is not about the safety of firearms or comparing the statistics of one country (for example, the USA) to another.

An inflammatory post has also been removed.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2018 at 10:28 PM, blackcab said:

It is allowed and a license is available - for Thai citizens who can prove the need. Some cash in transit guards have such a license, as do some gold shop owners.

As a foreigner, you have an almost zero chance of getting such a license.

Indeed.

Almost zero.

On 6/4/2018 at 7:59 PM, simoh1490 said:

And OP, if that's your direction and thinking, you shouldn't be here in the first place, this is not the USA. Facts are that Thailand is very safe for foreigners who have manners, common sense and self-control.

...and those who can run very fast

• Haha 1