Video: Water monitor leads to death of motorcyclist, but Thai TV finds it funny

webfact

Video: Water monitor leads to death of motorcyclist, but Thai TV finds it funny

2pm1.jpg

Pictures (2): TNA

CCTV showed a terrible accident from Nonthaburi on Monday in which a young motorcyclist died because a car slowed for a crossing water monitor.

Thai News Agency TV made much of the fact that the accident had its initial cause because of the animal crossing.

Producers added bells and whistles in the manner of a cheap Thai soap opera as the dead rider lay motionless under a white sheet on the tarmac.

2pm2.jpg

The smiling presenters made continued jokey references to the polite Thai word for a water monitor (tua ngern tua thong) and it's vulgar colloquial use (tua hia or ay hia).

They seemed more concerned with what they perceived as the fun angle of the story rather than its tragedy.

The accident happened on the Ratchapreuk Road and was caught on Bang Krang municipal CCTV.

Natthapong Phongsiri, 26, a bill collector for the Tao Kae Noi company was killed instantly when he was crushed between a Toyota Altis that slowed down and a following Mitsubishi Triton pick-up that hit him from behind.

TNA made no comment on any police action in the matter concentrating more on the fact that the water monitor seemed to have survived.

Thaivisa notes that the word for a water monitor is used as a swear word in Thai. Some people believe that if you use that word you will suffer bad luck but if you say the polite term when seeing one of the creatures you will get rich.

Tua ngern tua thong means the creature that is silver and gold.

Source: TNA

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-05

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

There is something profoundly wrong with anyone who can find humour in someone being killed.

And so welcome to the Thai way go figure the mentality?

Found this  beautiful but dead  lil fella in the road yesterday outside my house.

20180604_081640.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, barefootbangkok said:

I remember being shocked 10-12 years ago when I watched a handicapped guy performing on Thai TV and being ridiculed and people laughing at him.  Fortunately now it's cool to support the handicapped.  Things change here but quite slowly.

When I was a  kid ( 10  years old) I used to go to a mentally  handicapped hospital in the UK/ Birmingham close to where I lived ( Monyhull Hospital) to read to the patients there, sadly places like this no longer exist as the awful "care in the community" replaced it and most were turfed out into private care which was disastrous for them.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

The first driver slowing down or stopping whether lizard dog or person is completely in his rights to do so....

the accountable drivers are all others who follow behind...as a driver up to you to follow the 3-4 sec rule to allow breaking distance...

fault with PU and maybe even motorcyclist if he made contact with first driver....not sure on details

Yes it's a pity  R.I.P motor cycle rider.

stopping-distances_jpg_large.png

Edited by davidill
  • Like 1

The water monitor had little to do with this tragic accident. Excessive speed and reckless/dangerous driving by the pick up.

A manslaughter charge leading to a few years in a Thai Nick is appropriate, but unlikely . Until there are consequences to the drivers for reckless driving  nothing will change and the slaughter will continue.

OH and Can those stupid News presenters !!!

Edited by rocketman777
?
  • Like 2