Bangkok ready for flooding as rainy season arrives

webfact

Bangkok ready for flooding as rainy season arrives

By Thai PBS

rain02.jpg

In an effort to prevent repeated flooding in Bangkok, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) yesterday held  meeting with authorities from five surrounding provinces to map out  water management plan and preventive measures as heavy rains have been forecast during the forthcoming rainy season.

The surrounding provinces include Nonthaburi, Nakhon Pathom, Chachoengsao, Pathum Thani and Samut Prakan.

Highlight of the issues discussed was the flooding on Ngamwongwan Road in Chinnakhet 2 area where  residents have repeatedly suffered  flooding when the rainy season arrives.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bangkok-ready-flooding-rainy-season-arrives/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-06-06
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Cadbury said:

PM Prayut promised to fix this problem. 

Just another broken vow. He is not referred to as Pinocchio for nothing.

I guess you did not notice the big drainage completed during the junta his reign with hug pumping stations. Did you miss that part ?

Did make it a lot better at those places, still plenty more to do, and plenty more they should do. They should hire some beter managers for those dams to make sure they are not so full before the rain season begins.

22 minutes ago, peperobi said:

What will bring all that talking? Nothing, because the canalization is a problem and to solve it you do need to repair it and not to endless talk about.

I don't know about the rest of you but they have been doing a lot of work in PT rangsit area to ease flood concerns including flood walls and dredging

41 minutes ago, robblok said:

I guess you did not notice the big drainage completed during the junta his reign with hug pumping stations. Did you miss that part ?

Did make it a lot better at those places, still plenty more to do, and plenty more they should do. They should hire some beter managers for those dams to make sure they are not so full before the rain season begins.

A "hug pump". I am not quite sure what a hug pump is. Could you please explain?

So you give your hero credit, not for initiating something, but for completing a job that was already started. What a great man he is!

I suppose also he has those "water pusher" boats at the ready to push the flood waters out to sea against the incoming tides.

Your good point about better managers for dams is taken. But ask yourself why the PM himself has not made the necessary changes to remove those fools and replace them with competent people. After all he is the Chairman of the The National Water Resources Committee. Why don't you drop him a line?

Edited by Cadbury

12 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

A "hug pump". I am not quite sure what a hug pump is. Could you please explain?

So you give your hero credit, not for initiating something, but for completing a job that was already started. What a great man he is!

I suppose also he has those "water pusher" boats at the ready to push the flood waters out to sea against the incoming tides.

Your good point about better managers for dams is taken. But ask yourself why the PM himself has not made the necessary changes to remove those fools and replace them with competent people. After all he is the Chairman of the The National Water Resources Committee. Why don't you drop him a line?

Hug = huge did you not read about those drainage tunnels ? They were helping but not as good as projected but they are making more of them. Its progress. 

The guy is far from my hero, I hate him as much as I do Thaksin. So not my hero. Those water pushing boats were an idea of the someone else back in 2011. 

I just like to stay a bit fair in my comments unlike you. So you only want to credit him for stuf he initiated and completed. That would make it quite hard as many project stretch a long time. Plus he could not initiate this as its work of the BMA so your blaming him for stuff the BMA should have done.  Not disagreeing that he could have done more (I am in the way of the water and was flooded when YL her government messed up in 2011) 

Not sure why he did not made the necessary changes my guess is as good as yours. At least this time he did not let people influence them to hold water too much like in 2011. We will have to see how it goes this year, I hope they drain more out of the dams before the real trouble starts.

Edited by robblok

15 hours ago, berybert said:

How can you expect the authorities to know this is going to happen every year. They cant see into the future and the past doesn't exist. 

Need a look into the very near future? Here we go:

2d62e0f3-aa62-409a-81ab-43fd11ab97f6_zps

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

Hug = huge did you not read about those drainage tunnels ? They were helping but not as good as projected but they are making more of them. Its progress. 

The guy is far from my hero, I hate him as much as I do Thaksin. So not my hero. Those water pushing boats were an idea of the someone else back in 2011. 

I just like to stay a bit fair in my comments unlike you. So you only want to credit him for stuf he initiated and completed. That would make it quite hard as many project stretch a long time. Plus he could not initiate this as its work of the BMA so your blaming him for stuff the BMA should have done.  Not disagreeing that he could have done more (I am in the way of the water and was flooded when YL her government messed up in 2011) 

Not sure why he did not made the necessary changes my guess is as good as yours. At least this time he did not let people influence them to hold water too much like in 2011. We will have to see how it goes this year, I hope they drain more out of the dams before the real trouble starts.

Despite what you say I do like to stay a little bit fair in my comments. So I will go on record now with my first ever compliment to the PM. And that is his efforts to built a coal fired power station, as unappealing to the masses as it may be. However if he follows his usual form nothing will happen.

The Country needs a guaranteed power supply, plus additional for his now much mooted EEC Corridor. He won't get that from solar or wind and Laos power now seems unreliable. Three cheers for the PM.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Cadbury said:

Despite what you say I do like to stay a little bit fair in my comments. So I will go on record now with my first ever compliment to the PM. And that is his efforts to built a coal fired power station, as unappealing to the masses as it may be. However if he follows his usual form nothing will happen.

The Country needs a guaranteed power supply, plus additional for his now much mooted EEC Corridor. He won't get that from solar or wind and Laos power now seems unreliable. Three cheers for the PM.

Different topic, here your attacking him for BKK problems that are the responsibility of the BMA. I don't see that as fair. Attack him for the dam management I surely will if it reaches my house again. I will also attack him for not putting more pressure on other water management problems. Just won't attack him for something that is not his responsibility but the BMA's

Coal powered is not fun, nobody wants it in their backyard (understandable) but nobody wants to pay extra for more expensive alternatives and or suffer blackouts.

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

Different topic, here your attacking him for BKK problems that are the responsibility of the BMA. I don't see that as fair. Attack him for the dam management I surely will if it reaches my house again. I will also attack him for not putting more pressure on other water management problems. Just won't attack him for something that is not his responsibility but the BMA's

Coal powered is not fun, nobody wants it in their backyard (understandable) but nobody wants to pay extra for more expensive alternatives and or suffer blackouts.

You made an unnecessary personal comment about me. To quote:

"I just like to stay a bit fair in my comments unlike you"

I was responding to that; not changing the subject. Or isn't that allowed under your rules?

Over and out!

Edited by Cadbury

Just now, Cadbury said:

You made an unnecessary personal comment about me. To quote:

"I just like to stay a bit fair in my comments unlike you"

I was responding to that; not changing the subject. Over and out!

Ok sorry should have said in this instance your comments were unfair. 

On 6/6/2018 at 8:57 PM, edwinchester said:

"....heavy rains have been forecast during the forthcoming rainy season."

Thanks for the warning, I had no idea.

"...it's not a flood, it's an excess of water..."??

A Governor of Bangkok, very many years ago.

Good to see all the grateful expats out in force now  showing their respect and happiness at living in a new land.

Floods are regular occurrence every year in towns and cities in good old back home. 

Every year im the usa fires and tornadoes leave towns and cities in disarray. New orleans still isnt safe from flooding.

Hundreds die of hypothermia and hyperthermia in developed western cities every year.

But hey thats good old back home and doesnt count