Trump attacks EU and Canada on trade amid backlash ahead of G7 summit

webfact

i think one of the easiest tariff's to understand is a tariff on german cars imported to the US.  they are luxury vehicles, the price increase is not going to hurt the consumer (such consumer is likely wealthy).  and i question whether it would even reduce the volume of sales of german cars in the US.  so it will not hit the bottom line for the german car makers.  they just pass the cost right on to the US (wealthy) consumer.

there is a large trade deficit on autos btwn the two countries.  increasing the tariff would be a way to reduce that.  why would germany reject this ?  i don't think it is outrageous for the US to ask for the trade deficit to be reduced. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, buick said:

i think one of the easiest tariff's to understand is a tariff on german cars imported to the US.  they are luxury vehicles, the price increase is not going to hurt the consumer (such consumer is likely wealthy).  and i question whether it would even reduce the volume of sales of german cars in the US.  so it will not hit the bottom line for the german car makers.  they just pass the cost right on to the US (wealthy) consumer.

there is a large trade deficit on autos btwn the two countries.  increasing the tariff would be a way to reduce that.  why would germany reject this ?  i don't think it is outrageous for the US to ask for the trade deficit to be reduced. 

So you have a subpar product, therefore need tariffs to try and get your countrymen to buy that subpar product in stead of better quality.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I wish I could really say he's not my president, but sadly, he is. This is a hostage situation. Americans elected a destructive mentally bizarre buffoon that cares only about feeding his diseased ego. How this ends, nobody knows. 

It's all very sad really.

26 minutes ago, stevenl said:

So you have a subpar product, therefore need tariffs to try and get your countrymen to buy that subpar product in stead of better quality.

i'm not sure the tariff will change much honestly.  maybe i should say it another way, trump doesn't like the fact that germany has a larger tariff than the USA.  if increasing the tariff charged by the US, makes trump happy and doesn't really hurt anyone in the process (as described in my previous post), why not agree to it ?  not saying it should already be 'yes sir, mr. trump'.  but, if i was angela, i wouldn't be all bent out of shape on this one and fight tooth and nail.

edit:  i would urge trudeau to flip the middle finger and fight to the end.

Edited by buick

the Canadians have been taxing dairy from the US at 270%...guess the MMS missed that, and they must have missed the interview with Abe, who stated US/Japan relations are stronger than ever, and Trump is doing a great job.  Meanwhile, the bitter European   hypocrites don't have a leg to stand on.  Taxing Jack Daniels?  as if they haven't been taxing it to death?  Will on!y hurt their own.

Edited by moontang
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, buick said:

i can understand how you missed the picture as noted by another member.  w/o seeing that it would seem to be an  odd comment by me.  i have a general disdain for career politicians/bureaucrats, etc... and as long as we've got someone throwing out 'pathetic moron' in the thread, i figured i'd add to the list.

Point taken ?

1 hour ago, buick said:

In discussions, the US was offered to lower the EU tariffs for cars if the US would do the same on trucks. The US did not want that.

In return, the euro states should introduce the taxation of US Internet giants in the EU by turnover. This is to prevent the prevailing practice that companies such as Google, Amazon or Facebook to reduce their profits in Europe or move to low-tax countries.

or the group Apple makes huge profits in the EU. But only paid 0.18% tax on his profits in 2016.

Make trade fairer, ok. But not as a one-way street for a selfish US bully.

and finally.
Trump has asked exactly this question.
Bully trump did not know that tariffs are EU tariffs, and Germany can not alone decide about it.

Inability, ignorance and rude behavior unfortunately characterize the current potus.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, moontang said:

the Canadians have been taxing dairy from the US at 270%...guess the MMS missed that, and they must have missed the interview with Abe, who stated US/Japan relations are stronger than ever, and Trump is doing a great job.  Meanwhile, the bitter European   hypocrites don't have a leg to stand on.  Taxing Jack Daniels?  as if they haven't been taxing it to death?  Will on!y hurt their own.

Guess you're wrong. A trade war will hurt everyone.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

In discussions, the US was offered to lower the EU tariffs for cars if the US would do the same on trucks. The US did not want that.

In return, the euro states should introduce the taxation of US Internet giants in the EU by turnover. This is to prevent the prevailing practice that companies such as Google, Amazon or Facebook to reduce their profits in Europe or move to low-tax countries.

or the group Apple makes huge profits in the EU. But only paid 0.18% tax on his profits in 2016.

Make trade fairer, ok. But not as a one-way street for a selfish US bully.

i'm in full agreement on the tax dodging internet giants.  we won't have to get sidetracked on that one !!  yeah right, your headquartered on a tiny island, not the shiny new 50 story towers.

i haven't seen anything on the discussions to date on the car tariff topic, other than the headline type stuff (we/usa  are hit with 10% but we hit them with 2.5%, not fair etc...).  so not aware of trade offs with trucks versus cars.  it could be more complex than i anticipated. 

how about that link on the decline in foreign direct investment during Q1 2018 ?  i think it was you who quoted a german entity of some sort, is that in german or can it be presented in english.  i'm hearing alot about how things are already going downhill just based on the talk of tariffs but i'm not seeing any evidence (just alot of pundits on TV talking their usual game).

Edited by buick
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

First he lies, by citing national security laws. A complete and utter fabrication of the facts, as usual for the liar in chief, and the world's top deflector. Fake news. Though he claims he invented the term fake news, in reality what he invented and continues to spout daily, is the creation of fake news.

Second he claims that Canada is a national security risk. What evidence does he cite for this? The "Canadian invasion" of 1812. Had he read a single book in his life, or simply asked a question of someone who has some knowledge, he might have been aware of the fact that Canada was not even a nation in 1812, and it was the British who invaded at that time, and burned down the White House. 

Where does one even begin, to ponder the mass of ignorance that is Donald Trump? Let us destroy decades and even a century or more, of long held, valuable relationships based on trust, and mutual dependency, with a few careless insults and no forethought. 

This summit may be a real awakening for dumbo. He is not accustomed to being in a roomful of intelligent leaders, who are skilled at diplomacy, are real negotiators, and dislike and disrespect him. 

Tiny D. - assuring that America is never great again. Practicing WWF style diplomacy, on a daily basis. The art of I cannot make a deal to save my life. Tiny D. - Making sure the truth is never considered, never thought about, never uttered, and never spoken. 

Thank you !

11 hours ago, neeray said:

Thank you !

Tiny DT. The art of moving America backwards, and lowering the quality of life for the average American.   The art of I cannot make a deal to save my life.  The art of losing talent in droves, and replacing them with sycophantic fools, devoid of talent or experience. The art of attempting to lead a nation, while being infected with the thinnest skin of a world leader, in history. The art of not having a diplomatic bone in his body, and destroying long held alliances, with hate, hubris and a horrible lack of intelligence, vision and talent.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, buick said:

i'm not sure the tariff will change much honestly.  maybe i should say it another way, trump doesn't like the fact that germany has a larger tariff than the USA.  if increasing the tariff charged by the US, makes trump happy and doesn't really hurt anyone in the process (as described in my previous post), why not agree to it ?  not saying it should already be 'yes sir, mr. trump'.  but, if i was angela, i wouldn't be all bent out of shape on this one and fight tooth and nail.

edit:  i would urge trudeau to flip the middle finger and fight to the end.

As usual Trump is either lying or misinformed, personally I lean towards lying as he has a bureaucracy to provide empirical data. e.g. BMWUSA has the largest car manusfacturing plant in the US, plus being America's largest car exporter. Canadian tariffs on US dairy product imports only apply once the agreed quota is exceeded. In fact the US exports far more dairy produce into Canada, than Canada exports to the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_in_the_United_States

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/242740-trump-blasts-bmw-er-building-almost-50000-cars-us-sells-us

http://www.cdc-ccl.gc.ca/CDC/index-eng.php?id=3803

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, simple1 said:

As usual Trump is either lying or misinformed, personally I lean towards lying as he has a bureaucracy to provide empirical data. e.g. BMWUSA has the largest car manusfacturing plant in the US, plus being America's largest car exporter. Canadian tariffs on US dairy product imports only apply once the agreed quota is exceeded. In fact the US exports far more dairy produce into Canada, than Canada exports to the US.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/242740-trump-blasts-bmw-er-building-almost-50000-cars-us-sells-us

"As usual Trump is either lying or misinformed, personally I lean towards lying as he has a bureaucracy to provide empirical data."

A little bit of this, a little bit of that....

In fundraising speech, Trump says he made up trade claim in meeting with Justin Trudeau

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2018/03/14/in-fundraising-speech-trump-says-he-made-up-facts-in-meeting-with-justin-trudeau/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f050179f2582

• Like 2

18 hours ago, buick said:

If you want the trade deficit to be reduced, you have to sell better products for a better price.

3 hours ago, simple1 said:

i'm not all aboard on the whole tariff plan that trump has.  i've offered up a few examples, one where a threatened tariff worked out (bombardier) and another one where it would really not hurt anyone (wealthy people in the USA buying a european made car can afford a higher price thus germany doesn't suffer as they pass the higher cost over to the consumer).   i understand that BMW and other foreign car makers have plants in the USA (and i appreciate you attaching links to support statements unlike others do, questionable statements with zero support).  i think nissan has the largest factory in USA if measured by cars produced, but i'm not here to split hairs like that.  in the other thread, i suggested porsche in my example.  they don't have a plant in the US and there are other german manufacturers that don't. 

the whole trade picture is a bit of smoke and mirrors in some cases and quite complex !!    to appease trump, simply increasing the tariff so the % tariff looks better might be something to consider.  i don't expect tariffs on cars to change consumer habits in the USA.  and i understand american cars are inferior to both those made in japan and europe (and likely korea also).  that is a general statement, there maybe a one off here and there.

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

If you want the trade deficit to be reduced, you have to sell better products for a better price.

and have access to large markets for such product.  there are countries where that is a problem (i wouldn't put european countries in that bucket). 

Edited by buick

4 hours ago, simple1 said:

Canadian tariffs on US dairy product imports only apply once the agreed quota is exceeded. In fact the US exports far more dairy produce into Canada, than Canada exports to the US.

i fully support canada in their outrage.  i've posted that a few times but at least once it was in an edit that some may not have seen.

• Like 1