SURVEY: Is a Trade War Looming?

Scott

SURVEY: Is a Trade War Looming?  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With the imposition of new tariffs on a number of products from different countries and countermeasures, do you believe a significant trade war will happen?    Which of the following statements best describes your opinion?

Trump throws G-7 into disarray with tweets after he leaves

LA MALBAIE, Quebec (AP) — Lashing out at the longtime U.S. ally and northern neighbor, President Donald Trump tweeted that Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is "dishonest & weak" and that the U.S. was pulling back its endorsement of the G-7 summit's communique in part because of what he called Trudeau's "false statements" at a news conference.

In an extraordinary set of tweets aboard Air Force One, on its way to Singapore for Tuesday's summit with North Korea's Kim Jong Un, Trump threw the G-7 summit into disarray Saturday and threatened to escalate his trade war just as Canada released the G-7's official communique. Its statement took a generally positive view of the leaders' positions on trade matters while acknowledging tensions with the U.S.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-trades-easy-banter-allies-differences-persist-050350738--finance.html

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, coldmike said:

Canada has such a HUGE population that they will force the US to their knees!  Reality is that Canada still imports about 10% of their dairy and USA restricts dairy imports to about 3%.  Canada’s huge tarif is wrong, but really minor in the big picture, especially with your best friend.  The new sheriff doesn’t study or understand ANY issue and makes every decision on whoever whispered in his ear last.  The possibility that almost half of Americans buy into this style is so depressing.  My head is going to explode.  

Trump doesn't have the balls to end farm subsidies so countries like Canada could end their tariffs. He is in enough trouble with soy bean and pork producers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

Trump is correct in that many of the existing "Free Trade" agreements favor wealthy investors and harm the working class.  However, instead of beginning the slow, complex task of revising the current agreements he has made matters even worse, while attacking the US's closest allies! ?

The man is a complete idiot.

No not at all, low import tax is like income tax, he reduced corporate tax by 50 pct to boost  production now he need an import tax to balance state finance......some one has to pay and that is you.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The trade war "trump" is fomenting will hurt many of his own base voters the most. Yet, they will like it. Because it's from the man they blindly worship. Yes, he's that good of a propagandist. He has amazing talent as a con man. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, pegman said:

Of course it is. The Americans subsidize farms to the tune of >$24b yearly.

Trump is treating his country's best allies like he would sub-contractors on a building site. They ain't buying his bluster.  As for Canada there is a deficit/surplus depending on what is included in the tally of goods & services. 3/4 of their trade imbalance is with China but he is bending over backwards to protect Chinese companies. Knowing Trump it is likely for back door payments like those he got in Indonesia.

What is not included is contribution to share equity and profits from Canadian operations of American food and retail corporations. 

What if Canadians get perturbed enough to stop buying at the 410 Walmart stores in Canada? I wonder what the Walton family would have to say about it. That is many more stores per cap than in the USA itself. 

The same could happen at the 98 Costco stores. Again, many more per cap that the USA. 

636 KFC

1450 McDonalds

1460 Starbucks

If that were to happen I guess the Americans could boycott our electricity and use candles instead. Same with coal rather than our natural gas. 

A couple of weeks ago Trump said Hoover did a great job with tariffs. Some how I don't think he got as far as the Depression of the 1930's in his history text book.

I don't really care about the rest but leave my favorite COSTCO alone. 555

Open up another 100 stores. They are great for both consumers and staff.

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

The US under Donald Trump seems determined to screw up the world order in a (mistaken) belief that somehow they have been screwed over in the current global set up. As a matter of fact, the US has been the prime architect of the current global order and has been the prime beneficiary of it.

Yes!!!

Trump, and the hapless Larry Kudlow, forget one little thing: the dollar!

First, as the emitter of the reserve currency, the US is somehow constrained to run a trade deficit (Triffin dilemma).

Otherwise, how would a country such as Japan, for example, pay for its oil imports? (Yen not accepted).

Then, what are the large creditor countries (China, Japan, Middle East) doing with their trade surplus in dollars?

Well, they buy US bonds, a.k.a. debt, by the hundreds of billions!

In other words, they finance the US budget deficit and by extension the US army...and the US government in Washington, including Donald's paycheck!

If, as asked by the Golden Golem of Greatness, the deficit with China was reduced by 200 billion dollars, this money wouldn't be available for buying US bonds.

So, who would buy them?

Having said that, I am not yet convinced that we are heading for a trade war, because to start a war, you need at least two adversaries, and for the time being no one seems to be much interested in entering in such a conflict.

A real, hot, war on the other hand appears more likely since there are many who can't wait to show their muscles...

• Like 1

I voted No it wouldn't have an impact on the WORLD ECOMOMY.  Reason:  It will only have an impact on certain countries' Big Business's bottom line.  They will be the reason it impacts on the rest of the world - they will raise prices to keep their bottom line the same as before.  So USA's intended tarrifs will not impact them, their own Big Business manganates will.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Can't wait till Trump finds out about Thailand's 300% import and VAT added to US car imports 

Our Embassy in Bangkok has been reporting that for dozens of years, so far has fell on deaf ears, maybe not now.  But the US doesn't import cars from Thailand, as far as I know, only car parts.

Edited by TunnelRat69

1 minute ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Our Embassy in Bangkok has been reporting that for dozens of years, so far has fell on deaf ears, maybe not now.  But the US doesn't import cars from Thailand, as far as I know, only car parts.

I'm not sure it's item for item.. I'm sure Trump can put a tariff on all items that come into the US.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Can't wait till Trump finds out about Thailand's 300% import and VAT added to US car imports 

It's already 100 %. Besides why would anyone want a U.S. made car in Thailand? Everyone drives on the wrong side of the road.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2