The Kiwi - what's going on?

ThomasTT

Walked by The Kiwi on Sukhumvit Soi 8 yesterday and couldn't believe what I saw. Used to live in this area and have quite a number of meals here. Anyone know if it is being torn down for another condo or if there was a fire or.....?

I took a picture but don't know how to upload it to this forum?

7 minutes ago, rhodie said:

Been on the cards for ages. Yes, condos I think. Kiwi were looking for new premises.

Quite iconic place. So many of the 'good' old places are gone. Dirty Nelly's on Ekkamai, Witch's Tavern on Thonglor, The Londoner on soi 33..... and now Kiwi, all gone ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThomasTT said:

Oh wow.... is that where the American sportsbar was ? Or further up? Closer to Sukhumvit or further away?

The American bar is in the second sub soi on the right, opposite Lolitas.  The new Kiwi is in the first sub soi i.e. closer to Sukhumvit Road.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ThomasTT said:

Quite iconic place. So many of the 'good' old places are gone. Dirty Nelly's on Ekkamai, Witch's Tavern on Thonglor, The Londoner on soi 33..... and now Kiwi, all gone ?

You forgot the Check Inn 99. Sad. Good place near my hotel for jazz. It has moved.

No fire. Just demolition, presumably after they lost their lease.

As noted above, the longtime Thai bar nextdoor was gone and demolished some months back, so now both adjoining parcels will be available.  Presumably, there's a new hotel or condo in the offing.

The Kiwi folks have been busy this past week hauling their belongings to their new location, though I don't know if they've reopened there or not, as yet.  I'm guessing not.

7 hours ago, ThomasTT said:

Dirty Nelly's is now Ekkamai Beer House and is a great bar.  

Witch's Tavern has moved to Soi Rambuttri and has two outlets almost next to each other.   

Londoner also moved, can't remember where but I have friends that live near to the new one and go all the time.

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

Dirty Nelly's is now Ekkamai Beer House and is a great bar.  

Witch's Tavern has moved to Soi Rambuttri and has two outlets almost next to each other.   

Londoner also moved, can't remember where but I have friends that live near to the new one and go all the time.

The Londoner is now located between Pattanakan 30/32.

1 hour ago, Eaglekott said:

If they build a Condo I really hope they keep the ground floor open for Pub, Restaurant, NightClub or what ever and not for parking cars.

no-one is going to want those in the bottom of their condo.    

On 6/10/2018 at 8:03 AM, ThomasTT said:

Dirty Nellys closed as no one ever went there. For the most part to be successful in the pub/bar industry in Ekkamai and Thonglor you need to be Thai and young, hip and sociable.

As others have mentioned Londoner is on Pattanakarn, not a great location, but its just a play thing of a wealthy expat and Witches now have 3 units on Soi Rumradee (The soi adjacent to Novotel at Ploenchit BTS). Funny business model Witches have there..........

On 6/10/2018 at 7:06 AM, ThomasTT said:

I took a picture but don't know how to upload it to this forum?

In the reply box , click on "Choose files" and they should bring your computer files up and select a photo .

If the photo is on a phone or camera , you would have to plug that into your computer and select "removable disk" (or something like that )

16 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Dirty Nellys closed as no one ever went there. For the most part to be successful in the pub/bar industry in Ekkamai and Thonglor you need to be Thai and young, hip and sociable.

Dirty Nelly's may have closed because no-one went there, but the new bar 'Ekkamai Beer House' is packed every single night.   Great mix of Thai and Farang.

7 hours ago, pmarlin said:

Went to the new Kiwi Pub and was not impressed.  Lot smaller gets very crowded and location sucks.

Sounds similar to my take on the Black Swan which was always a bit cramped especially on busy nights at their Sukhumvit@Asoke location. Now they're up Soi 19 in an even smaller single-wide shophouse... Mind you the front porch smoking area is a bit better at the new location.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:59 PM, Eaglekott said:

If they build a Condo I really hope they keep the ground floor open for Pub, Restaurant, NightClub or what ever and not for parking cars.

LOL. Who is going to buy a condo over a nightclub? Nobody wants to live where the business makes noise and has crowds of rowdy people.

Also, the condo legally has to have parking for residents.

As noted above, Kiwi is indeed open at the new location, and the old location as of today is down to dirt with a backhoe picking over the remains.

The new Kiwi is in the first subsoi off the main road on Soi 8, the subsoi that dead-ends. And there's a fair bit of activity going on there also, with the newly relocated New Zealand Snapper having opened there (after losing its former location in Suk Soi 11), and a relatively recent pizza place called I believe Vesuvio.

The next/second soi on the same side of Soi 8 -- the one that has the cut thru walkway to Soi 6 -- still houses Lolitas, another similar place, and the American Bar & Grill Restaurant.

Trendy doesn't have a night club no way it would be approved but they do have a 2 story English sports pub with about 10 pool tables for competition playing.

The best news ever is the old German beer garden on soi 11 (rent got doubled) is moving into where the big Indian resteraunt use to be next door to the lobby

There are also another 3 beer bars in the complex

Nobody minds as none play loud music.

You know that because...............….
Perhaps you asked them all?

On 6/10/2018 at 3:07 PM, seancbk said:

Witch's Tavern have two almost next door to each other in Ruamrudee, to be exact in the Ruamrudee Village complex, Oyster bar and Sports Tavern, do they have others?

The Londoner is now at 1178 Pattanakarn Road.