Police have a bright idea! Check for criminals at road traffic stops

webfact

Police have a bright idea! Check for criminals at road traffic stops

police.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that a senior cop at the national traffic police has had a bright idea.

Why not check people stopped at traffic checkpoints to aid investigators working on serious crime?

Pol Col Kitti Ariyanon's bright idea - described as a "ping" moment in the somewhat facetious Daily News headline - would involve accessing a database of stolen vehicles, outstanding crimes and warrants at traffic stops.

The only problem is that at the moment there is no way they can do that.

Pol Col Kitti says more work needs to be done to make the idea a reality.

Traffic stops are often the first point of contact with the criminal and the police so it makes sense, he said yesterday.

Now work needs to be done on the database and connections within the force to make it all work.

This will take time said Kitti.

Thaivisa thinks this may be a time to call Big Joke to get some action.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-11
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

I think this has been a common practice in Europe for About 30 years or longer but apearantly still a novelty here something for them to do in the future..Wow.

Having been responsible for developing the Police National Computer, ANPR etc in the UK in the 80s/90s I would be happy to advise the RTP. It ain’t cheap though!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I lived in Puerto Rico for a few years. I had a little Mazda Miata, and I don't care WHAT people think about it, that was a FUN car to drive. I received 11 speeding tickets and didn't pay a single one because there was no centralized system to monitor them. I sense the same thing here, and it's gonna be a LOOOOOOONG time before such a system exists in LOS.

• Like 1

In every country I know is usual to check car and peoples properly, only so you can have a big positive result regarding criminals. The only question is: where you like to put them? Your prisons are already over full.

• Like 1

Rolling VCP's are normal just about everywhere else but the mind boggles at the thought of the BiB trying to set one up for the first time or at night on these roads ?

Edited by evadgib

3 hours ago, webfact said:

This will take time said Kitti.

So says Kitti Baldrick. Everything takes time in Thailand; it is the land of mai pen rai. Take fixing an election date, the lottery system, pavements and corruption as examples. 

1 hour ago, Khun Paul said:

In 1970 I was doing this in the UK, now 48 years later they have a GOOD IDEA...………………………...The question is, why did it take so long ??????????????

The good thing needs time and when the "Farangs" do it must not be automated a good thing, only when they think that is the own idea!

1 hour ago, Classic Ray said:

Having been responsible for developing the Police National Computer, ANPR etc in the UK in the 80s/90s I would be happy to advise the RTP. It ain’t cheap though!

The UK police forces were doing it in the 60's. All be it using a radio to HQ. Then someone making a telephone call to Records Dept. Locally and/or Scotland Yard. Very successful. So I'm told. Hardly Rocket science. 

42 minutes ago, HHTel said:

You only have to drive your car in the UK and very soon a camera will identify, using ANPR:

- Is the vehicle stolen.

- Has road tax been paid.

- Is the driver insured.

- Does the driver have a valid driving licence.

- Is the driver banned.

plus more.  Police will be notified in their patrol cars to intercept.

And this has been the norm for many years.

That's assuming the driver is the owner... 

• Sad 1

Kudos to the RTP for coming up with this breakthrough, very sophisticated plan.  Even more intriguing, will be the plan to expedite their fair shake of "donations".  Maybe a new and convenient RTPcrypto is underway...

2 hours ago, Juan B Tong said:

Hey,  this ingenious Thai idea could even be used in other countries...

Hmm,...Is been done for a couple deccenia already !

Wasn't sure if you where sarcastic !?!?