emigrating and selling house

7 hours ago, bontang said:

Altcar Bob,

The Negitive  Festooning Property Expert,     You talk a load of Crap Mate, 

Look at the way he writes.  I reckon he's either drunk or a Non native English speaker; perhaps both.  

• Like 1

A 10% annual return on renting a house is pie in the sky in most places. We cannot find anyone to rent at even 3,000 baht a month (admittedly an older house). A 5 million baht home may get you 10-15,000 baht rent. A friend who builds to rent for the Thai market typically asks 4-8000 a month. Think 3-5% return. Shop houses in a prime location will get more due to business potential, but i know a row of them built 3 years ago has half still empty. As many people have said, takes years to sell.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, rickudon said:

A 10% annual return on renting a house is pie in the sky in most places. We cannot find anyone to rent at even 3,000 baht a month (admittedly an older house). A 5 million baht home may get you 10-15,000 baht rent. A friend who builds to rent for the Thai market typically asks 4-8000 a month. Think 3-5% return. Shop houses in a prime location will get more due to business potential, but i know a row of them built 3 years ago has half still empty. As many people have said, takes years to sell.

10% is for a brand new house, however location and market demand can easily change that; the 10% figure is valid in the tourist area where I live, and it seem to fit very well with the market. However here are also few empty buildings for rent, and in some places the rent might seem too high, even based on it's prime location, but after a while someone rents them. New build town-houses here, typically with a ground floor usable for business, are sold fairly fast, or leased out.

5 million baht for building construction only, land cost excluded, should normally give you a quite nice house that is worth more than 10-15,000 baht in monthly rent, it's 2.5 to 3.5 percent; but if so, it confirm that it's better to rent than buying/building a house. However, if it's an asked for price of 5 million baht, it might be quite a bit away from the actual building construction cost. To my knowledge the normal Western-country investor hand-rule is an annual rent in the range from 8% to 12%, including administration costs and maintenance; it's probably not that different in Thailand.

?

I concur, it is a buyers or renters market with no end in sight. Depending on when you bought you can lower the price significantly and make out fine based on exchange rates when you take the proceeds home. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Condos don't sell either.

Old people don't need to invest, they need to have all their money available to spend by the time they die.

Bugger!

I'm convinced come another 5 years farang as we knew it will not exist in Thailand.  Rents will continue downwards, house prices upwards,but compulsory crime checks from home country,plus mandatory health insurance for long stay,and if rumours are true,if not true already the company house purchase method will be outlawed,so good time for bag packing methinks

Old people don't need to invest, they need to have all their money available to spend by the time they die.

A lot of truth in that statement, this apart from the fact that some older folks may want to buy something in conjunction with their other half so that they can leave it to them on their demise.

And that brings in to play another point which hasn't been mentioned, which is that if a farang wishes to buy a house, then he has to buy it in his wife's/girlfriends name because he cannot own the land, or enter into an illegal setup which constitutes a Thai nominee company.

Both of which have potential inherent faults, the latter being illegal and the former putting one's future in the hands of a Thai lady (many good ones around I know, so I'm not judging).

Perhaps the frequent news items regarding a crackdown on Thai nominee companies has made potential buyers wary of investing in this place, that in conjunction with the horror stories one reads?

• Like 2

On 6/11/2018 at 6:47 PM, worgeordie said:

Government

have made it very difficult for Farangs to stay here,

Can you clarify exactly what the government has done to make it difficult for Farangs? I am retiring in a few months with my Thai national wife and moving to Thailand from U.S. so I appreciate a heads up to avoid difficulties.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, buddhadug said:

Can you clarify exactly what the government has done to make it difficult for Farangs? I am retiring in a few months with my Thai national wife and moving to Thailand from U.S. so I appreciate a heads up to avoid difficulties.

You will be OK,with either a marriage or retirement visa it is those people 

doing visa runs,Ed visa's that have been hit.

regards Worgeordie

So the fact that foreigners can not own a house or land has nothing to do with it?

I think that is the main reason why even with lower prices property does not sell.

If you can not own it, why should anyone do it anyway.

Maybe it is now more difficult to go the company with nominee route as it was years ago.

And not everyone has a trustworthy wife/girlfriend to put the property in their name.

Well maintained Condos suffer less from this, reason should be clear.

We have some nice land for sale and get lots of info requests. Once they know the Thai rules about land ownership the interest is completely gone. Leaves us the Thai individuals. Many are often not interested in the same locations as foreigners do.

Edited by Khun Jean
  • Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:54 AM, altcar bob said:

Finest thing I ever did ,not buying a place here

Horses for courses, I'd say the opposite to the above.

I came here 11 1/2 years ago and bought at 6.2m. The exact same house next door (but no pool) rents from 35-40k per month. Lets say 35k x 12 x 11.5 had I rented it. That's 4.8m towards somebody else's mortgage.

Three more years and I've had it for free.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/12/2018 at 10:54 AM, altcar bob said:

All over the place,awash with them,empty property/for sale /rent,whatever,thing is there are far more to come onto the market too. Neighbour is just abandoning his place 18 mil,two more nice places lying empty nobody taking them up(sorry 3 now)

Finest thing I ever did ,not buying a place here

"Farang" tombstones I used to call them.

There were plenty up my way.

7 hours ago, buddhadug said:

The USA is cheap with many nice places to live, retiring to Thailand will be a mistake.

I'd prefer to live there than here.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, a10ams said:

Horses for courses, I'd say the opposite to the above.

I came here 11 1/2 years ago and bought at 6.2m. The exact same house next door (but no pool) rents from 35-40k per month. Lets say 35k x 12 x 11.5 had I rented it. That's 4.8m towards somebody else's mortgage.

Three more years and I've had it for free.

How can you live here and not buy a house,. I've bought 2 over the years, I enjoy working around the house and garden every day. I understand some people prefer to rent, what I don't understand is how people can live in an apartment, a room, this is not living. A box, I need my space. 

• Like 2

Plenty of 2 bedroom houses available for rent at 4k-7k/month.

No need to live in a condo.

But how does one find these houses? I want to for an Aussie friend of mine. I see empty houses but never any for rent signs...?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, rickjza said:

I understand some people prefer to rent, what I don't understand is how people can live in an apartment, a room, this is not living. A box, I need my space. 

Perhaps needs change as people do!

In NZ I had large houses, 3 dbl beds. dbl garage, sep lounge and dining etc, plus a swimming pool (once) and when I moved here I bought a 2 b/room town house and moved in with my g/f.

After we parted company I stayed for a while and decided it was too big for my needs, so sold it and rented an apt.

Just recently went to look at a house for rent (same as my old one) and decided that I didn't want/need that amount of space and that my apt suited my needs perfectly...……...no garden to worry about, no snakes, clean it in 5 mins and a lock up and leave situation.

NEVER thought this would be the case years  ago, but suits me perfectly now.

20 minutes ago, DavidB4 said:

But how does one find these houses? I want to for an Aussie friend of mine. I see empty houses but never any for rent signs...?

Ask at local shops, speak to market traders, cruise around on your m/c looking for signs on gates.

Like this

บ้านว่างให้เช่า-เมืองอุดรธานี-Thailand.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The USA is cheap with many nice places to live, retiring to Thailand will be a mistake.

I'd prefer to live there than here.

Where can we live for cheap in USA ?

On 6/13/2018 at 8:18 AM, BritManToo said:

Nonsense, condos dont sell,  my wife spends many days at the land office at Srinakarin road doing the paperwork for those condos that "dont sell"

Another load of crap is "Thais dont  buy secondhand condos "

• Like 1