emigrating and selling house

We are due to emigrate on 3 july, so we started advertising our house 3 month before ie april, but now there is only 3 weeks to go. Hence bearing in mind that there is a fair chance the house will not be sold/or rented before we leave i need some advice. I assume it is best to restrict the agents to only one when I leave otherwise if damage is done or things stolen all agents will just say "It must be the fault of one of the other agents"

I assume we leave our keys with the designated agent, and if someone rents then he handles everything and my wife's signature can be obtained by way of post.

Now comes the actual question " What happens if the agent sells the property"

Does my wife have to return to Thailand to sign the papers....problem is my wife cannot travel alone

Can I return alone and sign the papers on behalf of my wife....If I can do I need to register myself as acting on behalf of my wife before I leave Thailand

Can a lawyer (without sticky fingers) act on behalf of my wife

I have been looking for a property and from what i see, most prices are just more than the property is worth - simple truth is that vacant land goes up and bricks go down and truly depreciate... the friends I know who have had to sell compromised prices about 40%... 

As to documents - Fed Ex works great... and it is fast. 

• Like 2

The old adage applies, Location,Location,Location,

followed closely by asking price.

If the property is in a good location,and not priced

ridiculously high,(as many are) it will sell,in our 

Moo Bahn ,which is a good location,houses are

selling quickly,not that many come up for sale.

Few years ago,Thai's were buying houses to rent,

as interest rates at Banks were so low,but 2 things

have happened,it's not easy finding houses at a price

that would give you any return on your investment,

3-5% gross is no way enough.then the Government

have made it very difficult for Farangs to stay here,

which leaves the main market,Chinese and Thai's,

both of which i have had problems with before,and

would never rent to again.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Price fixes all !  Buyers market....use one agent, interview a few, get some testimonials from some of their other clients.  Maybe give rent to buy option, vendors terms if you are in a position to do so......you need agent to give you a current market analysis which compares your property to others now on market plus recent sales.....pick an agent that will give you constant feedback.    Remember the longer it sits on the market the cheaper it gets !

• Like 2

There are  no expats of the generation that started all the buying off in the first place,new arrivals amazed how cheap stuff is compared to home,they are the ones to target (if poss) just off the banana boat

Anyone now buying must be a mug,stuck with an ever decreasing house value,that in itself will never sell,just abandoned houses surrounding  with sale or rent notices festooning the area,making a sink neighbourhood.    

Its all lose lose situation

3 hours ago, altcar bob said:

All over the place,awash with them,empty property/for sale /rent,whatever,thing is there are far more to come onto the market too. Neighbour is just abandoning his place 18 mil,two more nice places lying empty nobody taking them up(sorry 3 now)

Finest thing I ever did ,not buying a place here

There were several large properties for sale in our zone for a few years. Many more in the other 2 zones of our Mobaan. Majority were bank repossessions where people couldn't / hadn't paid their loan repayments. The banks were advertising them for sale at high prices. Some fell into disrepair and it looked like would become derelict.

All the ones near me have now been sold and the buyers are all spending more, not only refurbishing but also building some nice extensions, and landscaping. The ones up for rent don't seem to be occupied though.

My wife and children have dual nationality but will most likely choose to live their lives here after I've gone. I bought a property here when I was getting 71-72 baht to the GBP. The values of houses have doubled in that time on this estate. The house is my wife's, in her name totally, just as the UK house is in mine.

Your circumstances and world view mean you don't choose to buy. That's up to you. Not everyone is the same.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Your circumstances and world view mean you don't choose to buy. That's up to you. Not everyone is the same.

Hardly anyone is choosing to buy today ......... which is the problem for those who already bought.

Worldview has nothing to do with it.

Buying in Thailand is not a good choice with current Thai exchange rates and Thai military government.

Good luck trying to sell at double what you paid in 2007!

Boasting isn't selling. 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, altcar bob said:

All over the place,awash with them,empty property/for sale /rent,whatever,thing is there are far more to come onto the market too. Neighbour is just abandoning his place 18 mil,two more nice places lying empty nobody taking them up(sorry 3 now)

Finest thing I ever did ,not buying a place here

Where is your neighbours place?  If he's abandoning it I might move in ?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, altcar bob said:

There are  no expats of the generation that started all the buying off in the first place,new arrivals amazed how cheap stuff is compared to home,they are the ones to target (if poss) just off the banana boat

Anyone now buying must be a mug,stuck with an ever decreasing house value,that in itself will never sell,just abandoned houses surrounding  with sale or rent notices festooning the area,making a sink neighbourhood.    

Its all lose lose situation

Altcar Bob,

The Negitive  Festooning Property Expert,     You talk a load of Crap Mate, 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2018 at 10:52 AM, beaufoy said:

Can I return alone and sign the papers on behalf of my wife....If I can do I need to register myself as acting on behalf of my wife before I leave Thailand

Can a lawyer (without sticky fingers) act on behalf of my wife

Your wife can sign a power of attorney – especially needed when transferring the property to the new owner at the Land Office – that's an often used procedure, and no problem if documentation is correct; talk from experience.

Check in advance with both Land Office, and the chosen real estate agent, and your lawyer exactly what is needed; i.e. signed copies of your wife's ID-card etc. If just one document is missing, the transaction might be refused until the requested documentation is provided; even a landscape photocopy iso. portrait copy can sometime be a problem.

?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bontang said:

Altcar Bob,

The Negitive  Festooning Property Expert,     You talk a load of Crap Mate, 

You seem to be well endowed (property wise) (spelling too),let me guess,recent arrival,just bought,but I am sure you can show typical examples of.. especially farang getting shut,  especially in a hurry..no..?   I'm keeper of the keys for unsold houses 5 of 'em  and more in the basket soon,could say Ill be living rent free as caretaker-in chief.     Look i do not like it,its going to get a lot worse,once  happy neighbourhoods,now barren and deserted,it is horrible

• Like 1

If you would like a reliable, non smoker, no pets, caretaker to stay in the property, to safe guard it, and in exchange for a nominal rent, keep the place clean and tidy, water the plants and keep the garden (assuming there is one) looking good, liaise with your agent when he/she wants to show a potential buyer through the home, and to also liaise with you if bills come in, I am happy to come to Chiang Mai to meet with you to discuss. I am currently living in Hua Hin. Previous to living in Hua Hin, I lived in Chiang Rai, so am familiar with Chiang Mai. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Robert Ian said:

If you would like a reliable, non smoker, no pets, caretaker to stay in the property, to safe guard it, and in exchange for a nominal rent, keep the place clean and tidy, water the plants and keep the garden (assuming there is one) looking good, liaise with your agent when he/she wants to show a potential buyer through the home, and to also liaise with you if bills come in, I am happy to come to Chiang Mai to meet with you to discuss. I am currently living in Hua Hin. Previous to living in Hua Hin, I lived in Chiang Rai, so am familiar with Chiang Mai. 

Not in Chiang Mai, Pattaya,  think the owners just want shut ASAP, the 2 empty properties next to me (  one the owner lives in Chiang Mai) I know what he will take,a third off what he bought it for,but i have friend in Condo am trying to get him to take it on,  The 18 mil,the owner leaves in months time,feel sorry for him,like to move in there myself,good idea though,but dread the consequences if anything goes wrong